87 replies [Last post]
Anonymous
270. for Moose?

Nonya, in all of my years hunting moose I have only seen or read about one hunter who took a moose over 350 yards out and his tool of choice was a 30-06 and 180 grain Nosler partition bullets. eye roll

If a person is going to purchase a new rifle and it is going to be a magnum type such a the 300 Win mag, they best know before hand if they can in fact handel the extra recoil this magnum delivers, many shooters buy the gun and then find out the hard way.........OUCH!!!

Thus their accurcy down range goes to pot because it hits back and they simply can NOT handle the recoil. Now 5 pounds of added recoil to the shooter is enough to break the camels back, so to speak. So my advice is buyer beware ahead of time what the recoil to your body is going to do to your shooting accuracy down range.

A 30-06 with a 180 grain bullet and MAX load, will deliver to the body some 26 pounds of recoil and for many shooters, that is their MAX threashold of pain as far as recoil goes before their accuracy falls apart on the target.
A 300 Win mag with a 180 grain MAX Load will deliver in the area of 31 to 34 pounds for recoil to the body and that is enough to spill the beans if the shooter is NOT ready for such abuse. Many shooters no matter how hard they try can NOT overcome recoil passed a given point and with many hunters that point is around 24 to 26 pounds of felt recoil to the body.

Many hunters after buying their so called Magnum Caliber Rifle, find out they can't really benefit from the added yardage it gives because they simply can't handle the recoil and their accuracy goes to pot. I hope you and others are getting my point made on this magnum caliber issue!

You don't buy that caliber without knowing before hand that you can shoot at least a dozen rounds from the bench, without it causing your shot groups to get larger. To do so would be to defeat the cause of trying to hit an animal passed that 400 yard range as I see this senerio. It takes a heck of a lot of practice before one can learn to handle a 300 Win magnum caliber effectively with excellent accuracy at 400 yard ranges.

270. for Moose?

lol if you cant hit a MOOSE at 400 yards with a 300 win mag you have no buisness hunting,also the 300wsm and 8mag have a much more managable recoil if that is an issue.

Anonymous
270. for Moose?

Nonya.........Laugh as you may, I do believe that if you must shoot at a moose 400 yards off, you certainly need to polish up on your hunting skills. Moose just aren't that hard to get close to in the first place. Yes Nonya, your not dealing with a mule deer or elk in the high country. I have personally on a dozen occasions gotten within 50 yards of bull moose and cows with calves as well.

270. for Moose?

Ok Quik you obviously are a way better hunter and therfore my opinions are null,so everyone please ignore any opinions i may have exspressed in this thread and rely on Quik as your "Moses" and author of the 10 commandments of buying a rifle,and whatever you do dont fall into the trap of buying a rifle that will kill at 400 yards as well as it will at 50,god knows nobody would want to be stuck with that!!lol by the way you have no idea what you are talking about when you say that you can always get within 50 yards of a moose,have you hunted moose in the Brooks Range or on the Shienjack River where you have to use vantage points to even see into the brush and bogs,where you take the shot presented to you from the vantage point or you dont get one?This isnt the kind of country where you stalk a moose,this is the kind of terrain where the water can be deeper than you stand and there is no way to approach them on thier level.This is the kind of country where you rely on small pieces of higher ground to get a shot opportunity and you have to take what you get.In this terrain one of your"short/medium" range rifles would severly handicap your hunt and your ignorance of this kind moose hunting shows just how limited your knowledge of different landscapes and methods of moose hunting is.

270. for Moose?

Since when do you need to shoot an animal at 400 yards to be a hunter? To me, getting closer is the true test of a hunter. Just my opinion. If you feel the need to use a magnum so you can kill things at 400 yds. more power to ya. I'll just get a little closer thanks. BTW, 400 yds is a long f***king ways to be shooting at big game no matter what you got for ammo.

270. for Moose?

Quik you keep your "short/medium" range rifles and hunt the country where everything is 50 yards away and you will never have a problem,not everyone hunts terrain that allows for that and you are either too stuborn to admit it or completly ignorant of the facts.

270. for Moose?

The .270 is o.k. for moose with one of the heavier premium bullets.This older fellow i know has killed several moose/elk over the years and he claims a bull elk is harder to anchor than a moose? Any toughts .

Anonymous
270. for Moose?

Nonya, I have patiently tried to explain a couple of things before someone just goes out and buys a magnum rifle as their hunting tool. However, you seem very set on twisting my words of wisdom and they are my words OK.

First off I will tell all, that I have met very few professional guides that would even consider letting a client shoot 400 yards at an animal to be harvested, as very few people can get it done in the wild under hunting conditions.

You have taken to calling me Moses, which I personally take offense too understand. None the less Nonya, I have hunted in many places in the lower 48 as well as Alaska and several countries abroad. I will stand by my statement, that responsible hunters ( those with half a brain! ) will not try to harvest moose at 400 yards anymore than you would try to bring down a grizzly at 400 yards.

Oh yeah! one other thing Nonya, I have gotten myself as close as 50 yards to moose in the past..........I never stated I do it all the time but there again I guess it just boils down to one's hunting skills verses believing all they have to do is go out and buy a MAGNUM caliber rifle and all their cares will soon be forgotten. Shooting 400 yards takes a lot of skill and it is no cake walk using a 300 win mag to get the job done, if you have never gotten comfortable with it's recoil before hand. This is the biggest reason why so many pro-guides in the field today use a 7mm magnum because it delivers less recoil and they can make those way down younder shots on clients wounded animals. In other words Nonya, it's all about ACCURACY to the TARGET!!!........Not how much energy the bullet delievers.

270. for Moose?

"WORDS OF WISDOM"?Maybe i should have called you Jesus!lol I never said that a hunter should try to take 400 yard shots,I said why not have a rifle that would make it possible if the situation required it.Is that so wrong?

270. for Moose?

Really and truly, if you can't hit a target the size of a moose's vitals at 400 yards with a 270 or 30-06, or even a 308, for that matter, then what makes you think you can do it with any round? It takes real discipline to hit a target the size of a deer's vitals at 250 yards from a natural hunting position.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Moose in Washington StateIceman508/04/2007 20:29 pm
Mainland MooseWingman608/22/2007 15:24 pm
Moose call timeHammer1408/05/2008 14:47 pm
Moose or Elk?Redfeatherhunter1009/25/2011 11:03 am
VT - Bull MooseHunt-n-Fish-VT811/12/2005 23:58 pm