87 replies [Last post]
270. for Moose?

If you are considering buying a rifle to hunt moose with i dont know why you would even consider a .270.My personal preference I wouldnt consider shooting one with anything smaller than a 7 Mag and if I was buying a rifle for moose I would go with the 300 Mag or a 8mm Rem Mag.

Anonymous
270. for Moose?

I will certainly tell you that hunting a moose with a .270 caliber is not out of the question, provided you have a good premium bullet like the Nosler partition in the 160 grain bullet. Sorry! NO PLAIN JANE BULLETS OK.

Moose do not have the nervous system an elk or bear have and are much easier to kill with a well placed shot than some might think. Moose just take a little while longer to realize the effects of being hit by such a bullet in a vital zone.

None the less, a 270 with proper weighted and constructed bullet will suffice. However, I honestly believe that most hunters would be better suited with at least a 30-06 in their hands, using a 180 grain bullet. I personally think this is where calibers like the 35-Whelen or .338/06 shine. Then again I guess you might say that I am a bit nostalgic when it comes to shooting big critters. Big smile

270. for Moose?

35 WHELEN FOR MOOSE?I dont know why you would even consider that cartridge as a moose round...

Anonymous
270. for Moose?

Nonya! Why not I dare say?

I guess, I will just tell you and others, who might be wondering a bit over the negative remark in your last post. None the less the 35-Whelen is a great caliber for woods hunting and those that don't want to shoot far off down range to harvest their game, at least beyond normal shooting distances of 250 yards or so.

I have been on at least a half dozen hunts after moose in Canada and Alaska and seen first hand the results of a 35-Whelen at work. Trust me when I say it is a very effective caliber on big game, even a grizzly bear or two. The bullet diameter .358 coupled with the amount of muzzle energy it produces, is more than sufficient to bring down big game at close to moderate ranges. I have personally done so twice on moose with such a caliber rifle.

First off a 250 grain bullet out of a 35-Whelen has a sectional density of .279, that ain't just to shabby in my book for penetration purposes on very big game animals.

Secondly being pushed at 2550fps (my handloads) will give more than ample penetration and most certainly enough kinetic energy ( 2375lbs at 200 yards ) delivered to the target, to kill any moose on the planet at 250 yards. At 300 yards the 250 grain bullet still has 2000lbs of kinetic energy.

Thirdly, most moose are shot in the timber or thick willows at less than 200 yards! The 350 Remington Magnum has taken many a species of big game animals from black bear, moose, brown bear, elk and caribou over the last several decades. The 35-Whelen shoots at least a 100 fps faster yet, in case you don't know OK.

So please tell me what your hang up is with a 35-Whelen not being enough gun for moose? Please remember we are NOT speaking of a 35 Remington!!!

270. for Moose?

if you are going to purchase a rifle for large game why handicap yourself to close range hunting when you could go with a 300 win mag or a rem 8 mag with all the knockdown power and twice the range?I dont see any reason to restrict yourself when you can get more range for the same amount of money?

270. for Moose?

Unless they have develop some new bullets for the 35's. The 338 A Square will shoot circles around the 35 version. The A Square will throw anything the 338wm can with around 200 fps less velocity.
For Moose I would stick with the 30's or 33's.
If I already owned a 35 I wouldn't need a new rifle.
I wouldn't buy a 270 for a moose hunt.
My personal choices for all of my hunting in the lower 48 are all 30's. 308, 30-06 and 300wsm. There is about 200fpe increase from 308 to the 06. Same for the 06 and the 300wsm. With a very wide range of bullet selection for all. If I need a bigger hammer. I load a 200 in the 06. If i'm looking for a flatter trajectory a 150 in the 300wsm. General hunting is the 308 and 150 or 300wsm and 180.
I do use a 270wsm for the open prairie. Those 130 Hornady interbonds do a good job of beating the wind. This rifle isn't meant for carrying around all day. If I had it with me and saw a shootable moose. I'd be field dressing a moose.

270. for Moose?

I agree with your assesment of the 300 wsm I shot one for the first time last fall,holey sh** thats a hot cartridge!I wouldnt hesitate 2 sec to take my 7mag on a moose hunt but if i was buying a rifle specificly for moose I would step up to a 8 mag or one of the 300s.

.270 is OK

I have shot several moose and have seen several moose shot with a .270 WIN. If you are talking about the Shiras moose, a .270 is more than enough. I would use a 140-150 grain failsafe or nosler partition bullet. If you keep the shots less than 200 yards, you shot be able to drop the moose with any reasonably good hit.

Anonymous
270. for Moose?

Nonya and others! If you think that a 300 Win mag or 300WSM is more of a caliber to bring down big animals at close to moderate ranges (250 yards) your totally wrong in your assumption. They kill no better than a 30-06 or 308 at those ranges. Yes, I said that and will stand by my words too! In spite of what figures will state concerning kinetic energy, which by the way never kill one animal that I ever shot.

The 300 Win mag, 7mm mag and some other magnum calibers, were developed for long range use and being very accurate at those ranges. They do not kill any better at close or moderate ranges, than a standard 30-06 actually. I personally know, as I carried one 300 Win mag for close to 20 years hunting all types of big game in the lower 48, Canada and Alaska.

270. for Moose?

Not all moose country requires you to hunt in close/medium range scenarios,much of the Yukon region is open country and the last moose my father took there was a 400 + yard shot.So my point is if you are buying a new rifle because you need a larger caliber for moose why buy one that limits you to short/medium range shots when you can buy one for the same price that will allow you to take that longer shot if you need to?I dont know how you could possibly rationalize the benefit of buying one of these other short/medium range calibers over the magnums when there is very little difference in thier cost.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Moose in Washington StateIceman508/04/2007 20:29 pm
Mainland MooseWingman608/22/2007 15:24 pm
Moose call timeHammer1408/05/2008 14:47 pm
Moose or Elk?Redfeatherhunter1009/25/2011 11:03 am
VT - Bull MooseHunt-n-Fish-VT811/12/2005 23:58 pm