87 replies [Last post]
270. for Moose?

i think a 30-06 is prolly the best moose gun with a decent scope you should miss too much

270. for Moose?

I am the proud owner of a Remington 7600 270. After reading the opinions on this subject I think people are forgetting that a properly sighted in gun is the most important factor. I ve shot plenty of game with my 270 and never needed more than one shot.Moose,Deer or Bear.

270. for Moose?

Hmm, I'd say the most important factor is knowing your limits and staying within them. Every year people harvest moose with a 22 lr. They've been doing it a while and they are pretty good at it.

A 270 will work, as will a 25-06, a 243, or even a 45 cal ball. My recommendation is use the biggest and most powerful firearm you can reliably shoot to kill, and practice so you feel the ballistics and so you know your limits with that firearm. 338 win mag is my top end, and I'd have no problem using a 270 for moose, as long as I got some time to prove up on it first.

270. for Moose?

After reading all the posts, I can't believe that folks consider the 06 that much more gun that 270. You can push heavier bullets. But if moving up to a large game gun and one has a 270, why go to an 06. Take a larger step. Just my 2cents.

Jeff

PS having talked to a number of folks from Alaska, even though smaller works, the consensus seems to mirror bitmasher. 338/375 is a good place to be. I'd suspect that their reasons are good enough for me. IF you can shoot those calibers. My 120 pound 4'10" wife can without a problem. Some things you just have to learn. One of them is that you'll get thumped by recoil on a larger rifle once you pull the trigger. So you may as well hit center along the way.

Jeff

270. for Moose?

My sentiments exactly!!! That's why I got my 338 win mag, even though my 7 mm mag was getting the job done. Ethically, hunters should be using the most effective tools they can proficiently wield. The fact that a 25-06 is an effective round for killing moose with does not warrant such use if a larger caliber, more powerful round can be used without signifcantly reducing the shooter's control over the firearm. In nearly all cases, all that requires is a little practice, which a hunter would need anyways in order to become a capable 25-06 shooter in the first place.

270. for Moose?

If you wish to get s good idea if the .270 Winny is enough gun for Bulwinkle I have to ask if you have read any Jack O'Connor? He seems to have felt that it was definitely enough gun. Yes, he did use the 30-06 and even said that it was more versatile, but if you know how to use yours then why in the world would you pick up a new .300 WinMag or.338 WinMag just for moose?

Another thought you might consider is that they take moose in Northern Europe with the 6.5x55 Swede. If you look at the performance difference between the .270 and the 6.5x55 Swede you will notice that the .270 seems to outclass the Swede easily.

The best remedy might be to just load heavy for caliber premium bullets like the Swift A Frame or Nosler Partition and make sure you can put them where they belong. To paraphrase the aforementioned Mr. O'Connor, it is the right bullet in the right place that does the job.

270. for Moose?

Shot placement is key. But I've watched greatly placed shots(non spine shots) from smaller calibers and watch deer lay down and get up and walk a ways again before dying. Its why on large game I still feel larger is better. Plus it allows you shot options and angles not allowed by something like the 270 for moose size animals.

Heck shot placement being perfect, my 243 is well suited to moose.

But its not the best choice.

Of course the post covered all this well so far. Yes its good enough, but if you can handle more use more. If you use 270 accept its limitations and go to town.

I respect Jack. I wished I had all the hunting chances he had. I won't ever have all those chances so when its once in a lifetime go with a bit of safety.

Jeff

270. for Moose?

My humble opinion is that many hunters have "magnumitis". Meaning, if my .270 kills em, then something bigger will kill em deader. While I do believe there are "minimums" in cartridge size for each animal, it is a grey area. I believe more hunters would be better served sticking with the venerable cartridges from the first part of the last century. The .270, .308, .30/06 etc. will easily kill most North American game. We always seem to need an excuse to buy a new (and bigger!) gun. Maybe I'm old school but I still believe the old adage, "beware the man (i.e. hunter) with one gun!"

270. for Moose?
donmillion wrote:
Interesting, Saskie. I look at it the other way around. If you're a "serious" moose or elk hunter, I assume that means you hunt them year after year. In that case, I'd be willing to use a .270 because I would know that if I don't get the shot I want there's always next year.

On the other hand, if this were a once-in-a-lifetime, drew the tag and goin' huntin' I would want a bigger rifle so that I wouldn't be afraid of taking shots that might be questionable with a smaller caliber.

Just amusing to me how different people look at the same set of circumstances but come to completely different conclusions

Evil! Evil! Evil! Evil! Evil! Evil! Evil! Evil! Evil! Evil!

270. for Moose?

The 30-06 /270 /308 are great coyote rifles LOL.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Moose in Washington StateIceman508/04/2007 20:29 pm
Mainland MooseWingman608/22/2007 15:24 pm
Moose call timeHammer1408/05/2008 14:47 pm
Moose or Elk?Redfeatherhunter1009/25/2011 11:03 am
VT - Bull MooseHunt-n-Fish-VT811/12/2005 23:58 pm