87 replies [Last post]
270. for Moose?

Interesting, Saskie. I look at it the other way around. If you're a "serious" moose or elk hunter, I assume that means you hunt them year after year. In that case, I'd be willing to use a .270 because I would know that if I don't get the shot I want there's always next year.

On the other hand, if this were a once-in-a-lifetime, drew the tag and goin' huntin' I would want a bigger rifle so that I wouldn't be afraid of taking shots that might be questionable with a smaller caliber.

Just amusing to me how different people look at the same set of circumstances but come to completely different conclusions.

270. for Moose?

Back in the mid 60's my Dad was stationed in Alaska and killed several Moose with his 30.06. He only owned 4 firearms; his 760 30.06, an old Browning 10 ga "goose gun", an 870 12 ga. and his prize Colt 45. He would have punched me in the eye if I ever used a 270 on anything larger than a coyote. Grin
Even though I was quite young I remember him and his hunting buddy exspressing their concerns about running into Brown bear while on their hunts and if their 30.06 would be enough. If my Pops exspressed a concern about anything then it was worth noting and giving it alot of thought.
just my thoughts even though I dont hunt moose............yet.

saskie's picture
270. for Moose?

My point about the "serious moose hunter" is motivated more by finances than anything. I would fall into the "occasional" category - a moose hunt for me will cost several hundred $ at best, and that's assuming it's self-guided. Add in a guided trip and your looking at a minimum 4k.

Perhaps rifles cost less (probably) in the US, but for a quality 30/06, 300Mag in Canada you're looking at probably at least $700 (used, double that for new). In my mind, it's not worth that kind of money for something that you will only use (or at least need) once every few years.

Now if I didn't live a full days drive away from decent moose hunting, and hunted moose every other year or so, then to me it would be worth the money on getting a bigger rifle.

Incidentally, this was the reason I ultimately choose the .308 over a (cheaper).270 when I bought my rifle - although it would still be considered a light-weight moose calibre.

That's where I'm coming from.

[ This Message was edited by: saskie on 2004-01-22 16:52 ]

270. for Moose?

The 270win. is a fine rifle for moose .It is very light on recoil and most shoot distances well. you are very limited in large bullets, the largest I use is the 150gr Nosler solid base boat tail bullet behind 52.5 grains of 4130 IMR. shoots to 350yds nicely. then for deer I use 130 gr SBBT loaded to the same point of aim as the 150's. this is 2.5" high at 100yds.This allows me to shoot from 0yds to 350 yds. putting my bullet no more than 3.5" high or low on the target. If you are scared of bears or if you hunt Alaska or Newfoundland get a 338 win mag.

270. for Moose?

Thanks for the info. I am hoping now to get drawn for the moose permit in New Brunswick, if I do maybe by then I will have some spare money for a new gun, but if not I am confident that with the right load and a well placed shot, my Mannlicher 270. will drop my first moose. And if I dont get my permit hopefully it will bag me a canadian whitetail like the one from this year. Thanks for all the input everyone.

270. for Moose?

My goodness Saskie, $700.00 for a USED Rifle?
Why the high cost?
At the local sporting goods store here just today I looked at a brand spanking shiney new Remmington 700 BDL in 30.06 for the rediculous price of $ 568.00 !!!
In .270 and .308 were same price.
I paid $280.00 for exact same rifle 21 years ago. Wal-Mart has them in synthetic stock for just over $450.00.
I wonder what the restrictions are for the transport and sale of firearms to Canada from the U.S.?

[ This Message was edited by: JTapia on 2004-01-23 20:16 ]

saskie's picture
270. for Moose?

I suspect it has to do with transport and associated fees crossing the border, but more than anything it has to do with the exchange rate between US and Can $.

I paid $1050 for a new .308 BLR (after tax), plus another 225 for a Bushnell Banner series scope. I could have done better on a scope by going to Wal-Mart or Canadian Tire. But I deliberately went to a small gun shop for the knowledge and advice, not some pimply-faced kid reading from the tag. I later found a used BLR for $600 on consignment at a reputable gunsmith (JD's Shooting in Prospect Bay, NS).

Chain stores in Canada are getting out of the firearms market I notoced Canadian Tire no longer stocks firearms, and I don't ever remember Wal Mart carrying them in Canada - too much liability and regulations. So if you're looking for a new rifle it's either small dealers or a newspaper classified ad.

You can get a 30/06 for less, especially Savage which are cheaper to begin with and have a factory in Canada. But add in a scope and you'll still be close to $700. Unless of course you're a part-time gunsmith and can buy a fixer-upper. But I'm not.

I think that might also explain the popularity of the .303 in Canada. After the war the surplus rifle stockpiles were turned loose on the civilian market as a rugged, accurate hunting rifle and sold dirt cheap. They're still probably the single most commonly firearm listed in the classified ads here - you can buy one of them for $100 - 150.

[ This Message was edited by: saskie on 2004-01-24 10:05 ]

saskie's picture
270. for Moose?

Since you mentioned moose hunting in NB, check with your outfitter once you get one if you're lucky with the draw. Some had a policy that they would only accept .30 cal rifles (I looked into this last year).

I see their point, but technically that meant your .270 would be out, but a worn-out 30-30 would be in. I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem with a .270 though, but why take the chance.

270. for Moose?

I'll have to look into that. We don't hunt with a large outfitter, just a friend who has his guide liccense, he guides my father, myself, and one other friend for deer every year, The other two guys we go with are guide exempt because they own a cabin there on the Tobique River.

bitmasher's picture
270. for Moose?

Yeah Ex, your right. When first posted I fully expected this thread to parrot the elk thread(s) of the same topic. I'm suprised at what people are saying.

I have no practical experience with moose hunting, but I have observed them in AK. Two observations:

- The average moose is lots bigger than the average elk.

- They like to hang out in aweful places. I've drug a lot of elk and the prospect of dragging a 1000+ pound meat sack out of a bog (or even quartering in a bog) is not terribly enticing and that's just a bog. Dragging a 1000+ pound meat sack out of the middle of a swamp (near freezing swamp no less) ranks up there in the top ten things I'd rather not do.

Therefore, I have to say I would shoot more than 150 grains at a moose, a lot more. Like 375 H&H @ 300 grains more, something that is going to give me a fighting chance of stopping that beast in its tracks even when I don't make a great shot. Not that the "bigger is better" is a save all, end all solution, but it just might save some frustration when the moose decides to go for a swim as its last act on this earth before giving up the ghost. Could happen with a 375 H&H too though...

I'll give props where they are due. Mtcop71's comments in the AK area really made me think about this moose habitat problem and I agree with him.

Just my opinion, like I say, I've never hunted moose before, so take it with a grain of salt.

Oh and NYhunter, please don't take my post as an advocation that you should use a hell of a lot more gun for the sake of using a hell of a lot more gun. If the biggest cartridge you can shoot consistently is a 30-06 then go with that, then pray to the hunting gods that your quarry doesn't have an affinity for water. Wink I fully subscribe to the idea that a dude with a 22 is a lot more deadly than the same dude with a 500 caliber that flinches with abandon.

[ This Message was edited by: bitmasher on 2004-01-28 23:39 ]

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Moose in Washington StateIceman508/04/2007 20:29 pm
Mainland MooseWingman608/22/2007 15:24 pm
Moose call timeHammer1408/05/2008 14:47 pm
Moose or Elk?Redfeatherhunter1009/25/2011 11:03 am
VT - Bull MooseHunt-n-Fish-VT811/12/2005 23:58 pm