41 replies [Last post]
I just got back from the

I just got back from the range.  The 270 was all over the place.  The 7mm-08 was shooting tight groups out to 200yds.

270. 1st time I ever shot it was about 4" high and 3" right at 50yds.  Adjusted scope to about 2" high and centered at 50 yards.

I move out to 100 yards and now im shooting 3" left.  I finally managed to be hitting in a 4" circle but thats not great. 

I believe I should try out different bullets and weights in the gun.  I was shooting the 130grain Winchester supremes.

I will take the 7mm-08 out for elk and use the 270 for a backup. I was hoping for just the opposite but I don't feel too confident with the 270 at this point.

hunter25's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Bullet weights can and do

Bullet weights can and do make a difference but I've never seen one quite that extreme. I had a similar problem with my 270wsm earlier this year with 140's shooting out to 2" at 100, switched to 130 ballistic tips and turned into a one holer. In your case I think I would check your rings and mounts really good to make sure everything is tight. And I would possibly think the scope itself could be suspect. Four inch groups and swithching from side to side just sounds like something is loose somewhere to me.

I was able to turn the back

I was able to turn the back scope ring screw almost a 1/4 turn to fully tighten it.  I am unsure if that is what was causing my erratic shooting yesterday.

hunter25's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
It could very well be as that

It could very well be as that is quite a bit. Usually it's the base itself that I have seen come loose, especially on the package deals that come with a scope already mounted. The problem is htat usually you have to have the scope off the gun to check them out well and make sure they are tight. 

I guess I'd get some different bullets to try and if those shoot better I would then try the old ones also to see if things changed.

WesternHunter's picture
secure?

Remington742 wrote:

I was able to turn the back scope ring screw almost a 1/4 turn to fully tighten it.  I am unsure if that is what was causing my erratic shooting yesterday.

Those are things I always look for first when accuracy is off in rifle.  Check the security and stability of the scope bases and rings.  Another important thing to check is the tightness of the bedding or action screws.  Also remove the action from the stock every couple years or more depending and check for vegitation, dirt, grit, or anything else that might get trapped between your forend and barrel.

I will try it again next

I will try it again next weekend at the range with the 270.

I just picked up some Nosler custom accubonds for the 7mm-08(140grain).  Are these a decent bullet for elk.  I was shooting the winchest supreme 7mm-08(130grain) at range. The box says they are good for light skin game.  I am sure they would work on elk but it worried me a little. 

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
There is one thing that a elk

There is one thing that a elk isn't and that is thin skinned.  I am sure that the accubond bullet will kill an elk but they are designed for rapid expansion and you really don't want that for a elk bullet. 

The accubonds are made for

The accubonds are made for quick expansion?  That is not good.  Can anyone give me a list of 7mm-08 bullets I should be looking for?  Thats the problem with the 7mm-08, not every place carries them, if so there is a limited selection to chose from. 

Everything I have been

Everything I have been reading has said the Nosler Accubonds are extremely accurate and good for deer or Large game. 

exbiologist's picture
Accubonds will be fine

But your problem here is that you don't understand what bullets you are shooting.  Sounds to me like you're shooting a Nosler Ballistic Tip in the 7mm-08, which is not a great choice for elk.  Saying Winchester Supreme, is like saying Federal Premium or Remington Premier.  That's simply the premium lines of the ammo maker, but DOES NOT identify the bullet.  The Ballistic Silvertip is a Nosler Ballistic Tip.  They shoot great, but don't penetrate very well.  

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Any one tried the winchester supreme ammo?rambo701/23/2006 15:23 pm
Winchester Supreme E Tip for Elk?Remington7421008/16/2014 22:44 pm
Winchester supremenumbnutz703/19/2008 14:57 pm
.270 win for small Cow Bison ( American Buffalo )jrhunter25305/05/2013 15:07 pm
anyone shoot a tikka T3 ??wonksy508/27/2008 11:48 am