69 replies [Last post]
The .270

Well, here goes. I dont shoot a .270 but know a few guys who do. My uncle swore by his a killed elk most of his life before he passed away at 71. the other guys I know who do hunt Elk with the .270 are fine marksmen and sportsman. they seem to be the somewhat quiet and reserved type who just listen to the conversations but when they add to them everyone stops to listen. when a seasoned hunter shows up for a hunting trip packing a .270, I seem to always get the impression that he's most likely someone I dont have to worry about and i can learn something from. When the shooting starts and the elk are down, and the big magnum guys are bragging, Its usually the .270 shooter who is quietly dressing out his elk with a small grin on his face.

The .270

Antioch; Good luck with the 270 WIN for larger game. My experience with the 270 WIN has been LESS than Desirable. I know that this will start a wall of conflict over me condemning the caliber. Just my experience, but the darn thing JUST DON’T CUT THE MUSTARD for larger game. I say mule deer is max size for the 270 WIN.
With that said; go ahead guys fire away, but it just doesn’t make sense to spend all that money to go on an Elk hunt and use a marginal caliber.

The .270

The 270 Winchester will work fine on elk, and even larger game if use properly. The round tends to be very accurate, especially when handloaded, achieving muzzle velocities of 3100 to 3150 fps, which is really screaming along. As far as energy goes, a 130-140 grain bullet out of a 24-inch barrel at 3000-3150 fps has roughly 2700 to 2750 ft-lbs muzzle energy, even at 200 yards, it still has enough energy to kill an elk, if the shot was well-placed. This is also true for several others in this class, most notably the 280 Remington and 7mm-08, which are also fine rounds that bring top results with accurate shooting and proper bullet weights.

bitmasher's picture
The .270

270 for elk threads usually go like this, I'll just summarize, to save everybody the hassle of beating themselves up over it.

By: ilovethetwoseventy
--------------------------------------
My Gran started shooting a 270 when she was 5 years old and by God she was a verified bull slayer! Put my Gran anywhere inside of 200 yards with her 270 and I'll show you a dead elk. To top if off, my Gran lived through the dirty thirties eating elk which she wouldn't have been able to do without the 270. THE 270 SAVED MY GRAN!!!!

By: ihatethetwoseventy
--------------------------------------
Before I was born, my Dad, on the last hunting trip he would ever make stalked within 50 yards of this huge bull. My Dad put 10 rounds into the bull and it didn't make a dent and when he was loading up to put the 11th round into that bad bull, it charged and killed him! THE 270 KILLED MY DAD AND LEFT MY MOM A WIDOW!!!

Me? I think God made the 270 so that elk hunters would have something to argue about.

saskie's picture
The .270

Well put Bit. Since We're on the subject though I was just windering how my .308 rated as an elk rifle. I've decided that my retirement present to me will be once in a lifetime hunt somewhere. Right now I'm waffling between moose/black bear or Foothills elk/mule deer. So far the elk hunt has the edge since I would be able to hunt moose/bear on my own (or at least without a guide).

Just wondering how the .308 would do. Any thoughts?

The .270

It would work, 180 or 190 grain bullet from a 308 provides all the penetration that's necessary for all North American game.

The .270

The .308 is adequate for elk. Use heavy-for-caliber bullets. If this is the rifle you own and you shoot it really well, it should be fine.

If you were planning to buy a new rifle for this once-in-a-lifetime hunt I would probably recommend something slightly larger.

My whole take on the .270 issue is, if it's a once-in-a-lifetime hunt you probably should take something with more oomph. If you live in elk territory (as I do) and don't mind passing on a marginal shot because you know you'll get another chance next season then the .270 is perfectly adequate.

The .270

We don't have elk around here or any other big game other than the whitetail and the occasional hog or black bear so a .270 works fine for me. But what I don't understand is what all the fuss is about. When I looked at rifles less than a week ago a .270,.30-06, and .300 win mag were all the same price

bitmasher's picture
The .270

The 308 should do fine Saskie, although I've never used one. I think you mentioned once that you have hunted moose, if so, guys that have hunted moose and elk have told me that moose are harder to bring down than elk just based on their experience (which makes sense based on average body weight comparison). Perhaps that is a gauge for you....

I'm curious about CaptainO's response on the 180 or 190 grain bullets. I looked up the 308 winchester and it only went to 175 grain bullets. Is it acceptable to run 190 grains in a 308? Just curious.....

[ This Message was edited by: bitmasher on 2003-09-27 20:58 ]

The .270

I know for sure that you can get 180 grain bullets for the 308, Remington Core-Lokt is available in 150, 165, and 180 grains for that caliber. Hornady makes the 168 grain Match Grade, which is probably the most accurate ammo you can get for the 308 Winchester. I'll look and see what's out there for the 190 grain, I'm almost positive I saw it somewhere.

saskie's picture
The .270

Actually I haven't yet hunted moose, but when I came on this forum I was looking for a deer rifle that could handle moose in a pinch - which is why I chose the .308 over the 30/30, 7mm08 and .270. Now that I've got a better grip on the draw system here, I intend to hunt moose in 05. I'll be in pool 1 here then so as long as I'm flexible about what zone I hunt in I should get an adult tag that year.

Since my elk/mulie hunt would be a once in a lifetime I'd rather not fork over the cash for a new rifle that I wouldn't actually need again. The .308 will be fine for my "normal" hunting.

I haven't seen 190gr ammo for the .308 and am sure that it would have to be special ordered but the ballistic charts that I have from when I was shopping around have entries for 190 and even 200gr bullets.

180gr is readily available over the counter almost anywhere.

[ This Message was edited by: saskie on 2003-09-27 22:03 ]