11 replies [Last post]
BikerRN's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
25-06

Howdy All!

During this lull between seasons I was wondering if I should supplement my .300 Win Mag with a 25-06 for use on deer, antelope, and coyotes at distances out to 500 Yards?

The .300 Win Mag is what I picked as my main hunting rifle but I was wanting another one specific for coues deer on down to coyote. What say the more expirienced and knowledgeable members here?

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
The .25-06 or any of the 6mm

The .25-06 or any of the 6mm family are a fine rounds and would handle any of your targeted animals quite well.  Some hunters have even decided that it is a elk round, but in my opinion it is marginal at best for a animal the size of an elk.

Don Fischer's picture
+1 Any of the 6mm's will do

+1

Any of the 6mm's will do but I prefer the 25-06. I have both  and have killed a few deer with the 243 and my ex killed several with a 6mm but I've never been overly confident in them on deer. But they have done well for me. I prefer the 25-06 and I like the heavier bullets in it. I have killed a lot of deer with it but relatively few that drop on the spot. Usually walk off ten or fifteen yds and fall down. I use only 117gr Hornadys in it now but I have in the past used 100gr Hornady's. Didn't care for them. Drop deer right on the spot but don't nic anything you might want to eat!

I load 75gr V-Max's in my 243. Like shooting things with a bomb!

hunter25's picture
I don't own one but think it

I don't own one but think it would work great for antelope sized game.

I'm thinking a 24" barell Winchester Super Shadow would be about perfect. Big smile

BikerRN's picture
I Agree

hunter25 wrote:

I don't own one but think it would work great for antelope sized game.

I'm thinking a 24" barell Winchester Super Shadow would be about perfect. Big smile

I'm thinking that too.

I use my 25-06 for prarie

I use my 25-06 for prarie dogs up to elk.  Currently, for prarie dogs, i'm using 75 gr V-Max.  For coyotes, in the past, i've used 85 gr nosler bt (not the varmint ones) with great results - used the same load for antelope and mule deer to with great results.  For elk, I used the 115 gr. Barnes TSX - shot a cow this past season at 300 yds, she fell within about 10 yds of where I shot her.  For what you posted, I think you'll be very happy with the 25-06.  Good luck.

BikerRN's picture
Thank You

Thank You all.

I ordered one online and it should arrive in a week or so.

bruse's picture
25-06

I have a remington 700 mountain rifle in 25-06 and love it. It shoots great and I it's my go to gun.

BikerRN's picture
Depends

It will depend on where I am and what I'm hunting but I think the 25/06 will make a good second rifle when mated with my .300 Win Mag.

I'm looking forward to it's arrival.

BikerRN's picture
Depends

It will depend on where I am and what I'm hunting but I think the 25/06 will make a good second rifle when mated with my .300 Win Mag.

I'm looking forward to it's arrival.

saskie's picture
Question - Answer...

Question: Should I buy a new rifle.

Answer: Yes Thumbs up Dancing

...now what were the details again? lol