40 replies [Last post]
243 Comparison

I have read a great deal about your 243 stories here, and I figured you might like my 2 cents in this, even though I am a newcomer to this forum. First, I do want to tell everyone that I have hunted just about every cartridge that I could get my hand on between a 243 and a 300. The 7MM used to be my favorite and while in a gunshop about five years ago I noticed a nice Ruger #1 in a 243 sitting on the shelf. I had asked the proprietor about it, and he told me this young fella had just bought it a couple of weeks ago, had him put a nice Bausch scope on it, and brought it back a week later, complaining that he needed something larger. The kid ranted on about it was not a big enough caliber for deer.
Of course you guys have your own opinions about it, but it was a good price, still new, and already scoped. How could I resist trying out this little caliber. I took it out to the woods and as fate would have it got an opportunity to take a nice shot at a fine buck at about 120 yards.
In case your wanting some of the details, I was actually taking my son out squirrel hunting that day, and decided to take it with me just in case. Good thing I did huh? He came into a small clearing, between a couple of oaks, just enough clearing that I could get a clean shot. I took it. That buck didn't say a peep. He didn't run. He didn't do a thing but fall on his side, legs quivered twice, took about four breaths and that was all she wrote. I went ahead and waited a few minutes to be totally sure it was dead before walking down to inspect him. When I got there, believe this or not, the shot was one that was meant for the books. If everyone had to pick a perfect spot and put an x on it, this would be where I hit it. I was even impressed with the shot placement. As I turned it over, I noticed a huge hole coming out the other side. While dressing it, I discovered the following. First, the entry wound was about the size of a pencil eraser. I guess that was to be expected from a 100g bullet. When it went in, it must have went straight through the center of the heart, because there was nothing left of it. It simply disintegrated or exploded or something. The exit wound was something between the size of a quarter and a half dollar. I know you guys that haven't seen this are curious now as to how the heck a bullet that small made a hole that big. I know some of you already guessed by now and your right. It hit square center of a rib on the way out. The rest is freezer history. I have made other shots with this caliber and it is a fine gun. If you trust your gun first, and your ability second, then all you need is one well placed shot.

243 is bad

Oh yes the 243 is an awful round for deer it is only good for rock chuks but make sure you don't hit em in the ass or the stomach. You need to trade that thing in for half of what you paid for it and go buy you a new whiz bang super ultra mag.to keep us in buisness.
Nah...... no matter what you shoot or what you shoot at your second or third time around the block you are just going to have days like that. Shoots we think or wish we could have done better. I think the 2 of you did fine,,,, Thumbs up well maybe bring a few more bullets next time they don't weigh that much.

FYI the puny 6.5x55 (one shot) has killed more moose in the Norse countries than any other calibre also over 60% of em were running

Don Fischer's picture
A .243 story

Weelcome to the site Snow Bear.

This is one of those discussions I don't usually have much to say on. I'm on my third 6mm, two 243's and a 6mm Rem. I've hunted with them but never really felt comportable with them, I think there is better cartridges, but, dead is dead and the 243 can certainly make things dead. I've only shot two deer with them but my ex-wife shot several with the 6mm Rem. But I had a 6.5x55 made for her and then she quit using the 6mm.

WesternHunter's picture
A .243 story

Use the .243 win to take a couple deer way back when I was a very young boy hunter in the early and mid 1980's. A well placed shot resulted in a clean kill. Have a buddy who's used the .243 out of Savage rifle for years. He's always been able to get clean kills when I've hunted with him.

Then again there was an article printed in a fairly recent issue of American Rifleman where the author was degrading the .270 Win as being an insufficient round for hunting deer or any big game. I suspect the author used it once on his only hunt ever and picked the wrong fragmenting varmit weight bullet to use on his deer, resulting in little or no penetration. I found it wierd that the author explained little (actually nothing) about his choice of bullet that failed. Maybe he just didn't know how to read an ammunition box lable and that is what resulted in his failure. Of course you can imagine my anger when I read the article, myself being a fan of the .270 with 130grain and 150 grain bullets, reloading many round over the years for it, and having used it with great results on pronghorn, deer,and elk over the years.

A .243 story

the 270 is also all kinds for moose too. used it on many of occasions Thumbs up

A .243 story

Think hmmm, i've taken around 20 whitetails with my 243 and haven't had any go farther that 50 yards. i guess that makes me a better shot than all of you 243 haters neener!

Don Fischer's picture
A .243 story
hesseu wrote:
Think hmmm, i've taken around 20 whitetails with my 243 and haven't had any go farther that 50 yards. i guess that makes me a better shot than all of you 243 haters neener!

Even a blind squirel finds an acorn once in awhile! neener!

A .243 story

Thanks for the replies and the welcome. I look forward to swapping stories, and learning from everyone. I had posted one other article on here and was hoping someone here could give me a little more information than I am able to find on the web. I always have been a little on the extreme on occasion. That being said, my next project is on the other end of the rainbow, so to speak. After having a lot of fun with the 243, I am going to something heavy in a lever action. Something that I have wanted to do for years, but never was quite sure what to get. I just never liked the idea of having to lob a round like a basketball at a target. That being said, I have been researching the 50 Alaskan, and found out that most information generated by this cartridge is by reloaders, and they either are not sharinig much, or I am just not looking in the right places. Anyone out there like to share anything about this cartridge?

A .243 story

Don,

That is true.....I guess i've been lucky enough to find 20 acorns ;) :\:D/

Don Fischer's picture
A .243 story

OUCH!!! Duh

Related Forum Threads You Might Like