40 replies [Last post]
A .243 story

CoachSteve, have to wholeheartedly agree with you. Have used my .243 on deer for a years. If I can't get a clean broadside shot, the deer walks and I hope for a better shot next time. This year my father in law and I were target shooting and I was using 75gr bullets...forgot to change out to 100grs and ended up taking my deer from 150 yrds with the 75 gr bullet....one shot through the lungs and down. Later that day a HUGE 11 point went darting out as we walked towards our stand for the afternoon hunt. Neither my father in law (with his .270) nor I had a clean shot and we let the deer go. My cousin ended up getting him about an hour and half later. Would my father in law or I LOVED to have that trophy, sure....but part of being a responsible hunter is taking responsible shots.

A .243 story

jvc58dke:

Welcome to the Forum and thanks for the report. We need more responsible hunters like you and your family to set the proper example for generations to come.

Most centerfire calibers today provide far more fire-power than needed to hunt with. Remember when the 30-30 was King of the Hill (when first introduced)? Now, folks belittle it as if it's a BB gun and they wouldn't be caught dead with one.

My sons feel otherwise and feel it a priviledge (not a right) to shoot and hunt in the outdoors.

A .243 story

I have killed deer and antelope wityh a 243 and I was never impressed with it,once i was old enough to shoot a real hunting rifle I bought an -06 and there is a big difference even on smaller game like antewlope and deer.Just this year I watched an idiot father allow his 13 year old son to shoot an elk with a 243,9 shots and 6 hits later the elk finally stayed down long enough for them to get a head shot.Anyone who has hunted with a 243 and larger caliber rifles should know the difference,the 243 will kill but why handicap yourself and risk these wounded animals when you could be shooting a more powerful round,yes bigger is better,I want my game to go down,I wont risk wounding game over a pound or two of damaged meat.

A .243 story

Anybody that would call the 243 ''marginal'' for deer and antelope is overcompensating because they can't shoot.

Now for elk, that is a different story.

A .243 story

Yeah this guy had a point when he said the deer was still stable after waiting
20 minutes to check it out. It was also quoted by ? that sometimes there
are marginal errors with smaller calibers(Wind, deer movement is more
critical, etc.) Also these were shots taken at the 200 yard range or so which
would be pushing the limits offcourse. I guess what I'm trying to say, is that
at longer or nominal ranges (200 yards is a decent shot), smaller calibers
like the 243 are just to hard to compensate these factors. Why piddle with
a small caliber when there are many calibers out there suited for a clean
shot everytime.I'm not saying that "Bullet Placement" Isn't a factor here,
but why take the chances?Different Calibers we're made for different
purposes. It is known that deer are thin skinned but can we stereotype all
of them this way? Let's Face it some deer are tough and too get one with
a clean shot kill it takes a well rounded caliber.Hey it even saves you the trouble of picking up a "special" round for a smaller caliber when you
have a rifle that generally carries a grain already suitable for big game.
It's probably good backup against predator kills as well. Wouldn't a small
caliber just piss a bear off? Shot placement against a coincidental attack
would be rather difficult to make at that time.Give em lick with a decent caliber!
Thumbs up

A .243 story

Well said,when you may have to take a longer shot it is marginal for anything!

saskie's picture
A .243 story
Briguy wrote:
Saskie, let me tell you alot of time had past, I know i didn't make that clear in my original post. The first couple shots he had fired were one after the other. He wanted to get up right away but at that point both deer were down and we sat and waited, 20 minutes or so. we then got up and went and looked at my deer, put the drag harness on him, by this time perhaps an hour had past maybe not quit but close before we decided to go over to my friends deer. i Should have made this clear in my original post but didn't. Anyway as we started to get close to his deer a good 100 yards away from mine if not more we started to see alot of blood, once I saw the deer get up after the amount of time that had past i was suprised to see it still alive, if i'm wrong in thinking so and we should have waited longer then bad on us, but i have never had to wait even that long before, i'm not a new comer to deer hunting. the deer was badly wounded that is for sure and i'm sure it would have surecome to it's wounds sooner or later but just how long do you wait? one would think even on a bad shot as long as you can see your deer 30 min to an hour would be long enough, in this case it wasn't. hope that cleared up some..

Point taken sorry about that. That's one tough deer. I still think a .243 is adequate for deer, within it's limits. Your friend just had the misfortune of encountering a deer who apparently felt he had a lot to live for. Laugh

A .243 story

Yeah, one tough deer. Just had some bad luck. My friend is going to take the 243 out for the Jan hunt, he tried his 30-06 but just doesn't shoot well with it so going back to the 243 which he does shoot well. I guess a unlucky bad shot is not the calibe's fault but really nobody's fault since the deer did turn just as he shot , could happen to anybody. Me I got my 270 and my 30-06 back so I will take one of them. As much as i love my 338 it will have to stay home this time.

Don Fischer's picture
A .243 story
Quote:
but after looking at my deer and walking over to his, the deer started to get back up again, Wow!! now were mad the deer had to suffer so much, He shot again for the head but hit slightly low in the neck, braking the neck, deer still alive.

Having a hard time here. I've never seen a deer get it's neck broken with a bullet and keep on living????????????? How's that work?

A .243 story

Well perhaps not breaking the neck, point being he aimed for the head and missed hitting the neck, the deer looked as if his neck was broke a big knot right were the bullet went in. I guess this deer had a stong will to live, and just breaking the neck anyway doesn't always mean instant death, anyway whatever the case was the deer was still trying to get up.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like