56 replies [Last post]
cowboy38231's picture
I guess will

I guess I will finally ring in on the subject. Practice, practice, practice, is what a shooter/hunter needs to do. A 200yrd shot is too much for an inexperienced hunter when you look at all the factors. Such as how has the recoil affected her at the range? How bad did she have buck fever? Did she really have a good rest? Was the deer standing or moving at all? At that distance a slight movement from either the shooter or the deer will cause a bad shot. What was the wind like? I could go on and on, but the point is that it is not the rifle. I have killed probably a hundred deer with my 243. And my friends wife and children have probably taken another 50 or more with it in the last 5 years. As far as ammo, I reload my own, but if I was going to buy some for the 243, I would probably just go with the old faithful core-loks. Have her keep shooting and try again next year.

yeah i agree 200 yards for

yeah i agree 200 yards for her first deer was a bad choice on my part i've had her out the past 2 days with the 06 but it seems that us getting the first snow of the year has pretty much stopped most of the deer movment.we did see 2 nice does on thursday at 125 yards but once she got 1 in the scope she was shaking so bad i didn't have her take the shot and they crossed the fairway before i could get her settled down or get reposistioned for me to take it. her and have set up a new rule if a deer is within 100 yards she can shoot itotherwise i will. now to figure out how to calm her down. shes shooting great at the range but buck fever is setting in. then yesterday we went for a long walk around the course and i found the only patch of ice on the entire cart path gun on my shoulder and when i went down the gun went flying landing and bouncing on the cart path so today it's back to the range hoping my scope is ok. i have made arrangements to take her out again next tuesday - friday but even if she doesn't get her deer i'd have to say this has been my best season ever.at 12 years old most girls are going through the stage of not wanting to be with thier dad.but we have been closer then ever i can't count how many times she has cuddled up on my lap in the blind and even taking little cat naps there. or while walking around the times that she has reached out and grabed my hand as we walked around.hopfully we can get a good shot for her next week but if not theres always next year.

Topgun 30-06's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
If she's shaking that bad

If she's shaking that bad, it's no wonder the deer are being missed and God help her, but have you even had her shoot the 30-06 at the range?  If you haven't, please don't even come back on the thread if the answer is no!!!  Also, if she missed the doe at 34 yards, maybe she should be limited to 25 yards for the next shot instead of 100 that you came up with!

yes she has shot my 06 on

yes she has shot my 06 on paper and has had consistant bullseyes with it. littlerally she has never took a shot with it that was outside of a 2 in group so i know she can handle the gun it's just getting her over the excitment.

CVC
CVC's picture
I hope your daughter realizes

I hope your daughter realizes one thing - no matter how good of a shot you are, no matter how experienced you are and no matter how old you are, you will miss a shot in your life.  It is no big deal, move onto the next shot.  As it was pointed out, she may have missed the deer, but the experience of being out there with you was a bullseye!

yes she has shot my 06 on

yes she has shot my 06 on paper and has had consistant bullseyes with it. littlerally she has never took a shot with it that was outside of a 2 in group so i know she can handle the gun it's just getting her over the excitment.

cowboy38231's picture
Sound like you are

Sounds like you are building some great memories with your daughter. Some of the best memories I can remember from when I was a kid in the late 70's and early 80's was going out hunting with dad. Everything from squirrels to deer. Hats off to you for spending time with her, she will remember these moments for the rest of her life.

Topgun 30-06's picture
Yep, and sooner or later one

Yep, and sooner or later one of those does will run into a bullet!  Good luck and I hope everyone is having a great day today and Happy New Year to everyone!!!

well i took her out again

well i took her out again today and it didn't start out to well first we woke up late and didn't get to the blind till about a half hour past sunrise. then i noticed i forgot both cameras i've had with us everyday in the woods. well we get settled in and as soon as we lite the heater all the windows fog up so her we are wiping down the plexiglass every couple of minutes. she was just exhausted from the holidays and with how windy it was i didn't think we'd see anything so i told her to go ahead and take a nap. well that was at 9:20 she was out cold in seconds by 9:28 i see 2 does out of the trees about 30 yards to out left they must have heard me waking her up since i had to call her name 3 times and to our surprize they both stoped broadside 60 yards strait in front of us.by this time i had the window open and she was my lap she grabed my gun as i grabed the little action cam hoping to catch the shot on video. well as i grabed for it some how i dropped it onto the blinds floor at this point i knew it wasn't worth trying to grab it so i told her to just take the shot. as soon as the gun went off i saw the bigger one hunch up and start running i could see blood on her side as she ran that looked a little far back. so i said we would wait a half hour then walk to where she shot it at to see if it was blood or gut matter (this was the longest half hour of both our life) as soon as we walked out all we could see was blood everywhere. so the tracking begins i made her lead i just kinda followed along. the doe made it about 70-80 yards her shot was a little behind the shoulder and kinda high but it was a good double lung kill shot. so my baby girl finally got her first deer. she was a trooper even gutting it 99% on her own.

PreviewAttachmentSize
dees 1st deer.jpg
dees 1st deer.jpg513.28 KB
PC269037.JPG
PC269037.JPG1.89 MB
cowboy38231's picture
Congrats

Congrats on her first deer. She looks very happy. You on the other hand, look kinda sleepy! Way to hang in there with her for her first deer. What rifle did she use?

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Does lots of bear mean few deer and vice versa?mufan1204/27/2007 09:26 am
How do you make a Deer ham?Wood Demon012/03/2005 19:47 pm
deer season is almost heresn_lhy208/03/2008 18:40 pm
Colorado Mule Deerzilla69_98506/28/2014 13:36 pm
PSE BOWSSKSHUNTER711/11/2006 18:12 pm