56 replies [Last post]
BikerRN's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Range

As I read this thread I noticed the lack of one ingredient to the mix that is actually very important, in my opinion, and is like yeast to a cake mix.

You changed bullets/loads but didn't have the shooter re-zero thier weapon at the range.

That would be the first place I would look. That leads me to ponder if the shooter, not you, zeroed thier rifle with the original load.

Just food for thought and something to consider. I'm also a fan of "heavy for caliber" loads when shooting, although I have been known to use "light" loads at times. Good luck figuring out what the issue was but I wouldn't worry about it. Just have your daughter keep going to the range and shooting. Nothing replaces trigger time done correctly.

Biker

i zeroed it in with the

i zeroed it in with the original loads and then had her shooting it which is when she was hitting bullseyes. with the new load i zeroed it in on my own and my daughter hasn't shot it since. but maybe the wife was holding it differently yesterday which would explain a bad shot. come to think of it both myself and my daughter are cross eyed dominate and the wife is not. just a thought that has me wondering now. i think i might take the .243 out in the field myself and see what it does. i'll be the first to admit i am not the best shooter but 7 out of the 9 deer i hit the heart on shots rangeing from 50 yards out to 225 yards this year. i will be putting a scope on one of my 10/22 s this year and having the kids do alot of shooting with that over the summer.

ndemiter's picture
i agree with critter on this

i agree with critter on this subject. i've got quite a few kills under my belt with a .243 and have seen what it does to the deer family.

the other day, i killed my last whitetail of the season with the .243 and no problems. i would, however, change bullets, under your circumstances. (which is easier if you handload) on deer, use a fast expanding polymer tipped ballistic tip or similar, and you will be happy with the results.

i use an 80 grain hornady g-max propeled by 36.1 grains of Varget powder and CCI BR2 primers. my gun likes it, and i have a box full of dimes and pennies with holes in them to show for it.

the g-max is a similar alloy to what barnes uses, so if you're savvy on reloading, match your ballistic coefficients to the twist rate of your barrel keeping in mind that the g-max alloy is lighter than lead.

i wouldn't know where to

i wouldn't know where to start as far as handloading. i'm hoping to get her back out in the field next week for our late doe season. i just feel bad for her shes waited a long time to be able to actually shoot a deer. and she has allready made coments about not being able to hunt as much next year. because her little brother will be old enough so not sure how i'm gonna work that one out yet. my next problem is that i've been on bed rest since the 1st in and out of the hospital with a back problem so not sure how long i will be able to sit with her in the woods if at all.o know she would understand but i want to end her first hunting season on a positive note. i have picked out a great place at my work to take her to. last year i sat there for 4 hours and saw 32 does and had shot 3 of them. this year i sat in the same spot for 1 day and again shot 3 does in 1 day so the odds are in my favor as far as seeing deer. if everything goes good i will be posting a pic of her with her first deer towards the end of next week

not gonna be long winded

not gonna be long winded about this but i love the .243. 4 does and a big buck this year with shots 125 to 323 yards and the .243 drops 4 in their tracks and the other one never got out sight

Topgun 30-06's picture
The .243 with the proper

The .243 with the proper bullet is more than enough to take those deer If they put the bullet through the heart/lung area.  From everything you've said I don't think the daughter or wife did that and that's why there was no recovery.  I also have to comment about your statement about going from 180 grains in your 30-06 down to 150 grains and not getting any penetration.  All I use is handloaded 150 grain Hornady BTSPs.  The mulie I shot this year at 174 yards with one tore the heart in half and he never twitched.  Something is drastically wrong if you aren't taking every deer you are shooting at with either of those calibers and the proper bullet.  I have to believe it's the shooter at fault.   One last thing and that is the comment that you made about cross eye dominance.  If the shooter is not shooting from the correct side and using the dominant eye on that correct side, that may be part of the problem.  What I'm saying is that if a person is left eye dominant they should be shooting from that side and vice versa.  Trying to compensate with a gun designed for a right handed right eye dominant person like most are when they are left eye dominant is not good.

ndemiter's picture
well topgun, imll take your

well topgun, imll take your thought and go a step further. having taken game with both calibers we're talking about, let's say, if theymre not getting good performance with either gun, i'll say there's a large margin of operator error. either from buck fever, or just low placement on the body.  now another option would be a defective gas seal on the chamber. you would notice the scorch marks on the case neck or blown out primers from gas escaping rearward though. and i've only seen that happen once and it was from case necks on some federal shells being too short... but i'm sticking with operator error. it's not the machine's fault. i wouldn't think twice about putting the 243 back into her hands. in the long run, she'll probably start flinching at the 3o-o6 anyways.

Don Fischer's picture
I really have to believe here

I really have to believe here that it's not the tool, it's the mechanic. I used to shoot a great deal and taking down even an elk with something like a 222 rem would be no problem. It's not a good cartridge for big game but it will work and used well it will kill like lighting. 243 is a much better choice for big game than the 222 rem. And even though I've killed several deer with it, I don't care for it for hunting. Nothing really wrong with it, it's just that there are so many more suitable cartridges, I'd rather one of them.

As I said, I think the problem is the mechanic. All I've read about for practice is a bit of sighting in. In the field, if you have a flat out hot stuff target rifle but lack the skills to use it, you have nothing. On the other hand if all you have is a 22LR and a great deal of skill, you will kill your animal.

Lot's of practice creates confidence. Confidence in your ability and your load, fills tags. Short on confidence in the cartridge can be overcome by a well experience field shooter. A more suitable cartridge will not make up for a lack of skills. Choose your ammo wisely and shoot more!

well i just spent a half hour

well i just spent a half hour typing here only to have internet explorer crash when i clicked to post it. when i had the problem with my 06 useing the 150 grainsi belive it was the shells. i did kill 6 deer with them and recovered them all but i shot an 8 point at 30 yards perfect heart shot this was last year but i don't remember any broken bones that the slug hit but it stopped at the fur on the ther side i still have the slug fully expanded but in my opion it should have exited.after switching back to the 180 grains i haven't had a single problem with my 06 i've shot around 80 deer with it and recovered everyone of them.

we live in the middle of the country and the kids shoot there .22's and bb guns all of the time my daugter didn't get alot of range time with her .243 simply because we wern't able to buy it untill oct 12th and the season opened on nov 15th.she is a great shot at the range but shooting at a living animal is alot different then a paper target so hopfully she got excited and missed i hate the thought of wasting a animal. i did get a great deal on another savage 110 in 30-06 for her we plan to change the stock install a sims butt pad,a rifle basics trigger and maybe have the barrel magnaported (or at least have magnaport do the muzzle brake) this all should reduce the recoil and make the gun a dream to shoot. i had planed on taking her back into the field this week as our late doe season opens in the morning but due to a death in the family yesterday we are now 300 miles away from home so who knows what the future holds for us.

Topgun 30-06's picture
I'm one that always tells it

I'm one that always tells it like it is, so here goes.  I would never have let her take her first shot at a deer that was over 200 yards away, especially with the .243.  The deer at 34 yards quartering away that ran into the swamp over 50 yards away with no evidence was probably also missed.  Why did the deer you say you shot near hers with your 30-06 go that far and did you find it?  I think you're making a big mistake going up to the 30-06 for her with all the problems you've mentioned with the .243.  Shooting a bigger caliber, IMHO, is just asking for more problems.  If she couldn't hit either of those animals, using that bigger caliber won't do any good because you still have to put the bullet in the vitals no matter what caliber you use.  The .243 or even moving up to a 25-06 is more than enough gun for that girl IF she does her job and again, IMHO, doing all of what you just stated with a bigger caliber isn't going to help her one bit and may exacerbate the situation.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
A .243 storyBriguy4004/18/2007 19:12 pm
Rifle & Optic AdviceFlanker7010/13/2015 10:27 am
Rifle and optic adviceFlanker7010/13/2015 10:24 am
Ruger m77 in a .243 or .25-06? ... Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest?liaisons512/21/2007 20:11 pm
Great article on tracking wounded deerbasinarchery105/21/2010 22:29 pm