23 replies [Last post]
.243 65 gr V-Max- loads??

Thanks all for info-- all books have different grains/loads as some folks more cautious han others but this gives me a good start.

7mm Magnum's picture

I just ran both those powders your planning on using with the combination of components you want to try,... don't even bother trying the H-380 only a 19.1% efficiency rating (not so hot)

The IMR#3031 however will produce a 24% efficiency. 41.2 grains of the IMR #3031 is close to max pressures so I wouldn't venture past that grain weight.

The stats of the software shows the following information:

Bullet: Hornady 65 grain VMax ( #22415 )
Powder: IMR#3031 @ 41.2 grains
Chamber Pressure : 58,773 PSI ( MAX= 60,191 PSI )
Case Length: 2.044
COAL: 2.710
FPS = 3,564
Kill Energy = 1,833 ft. lbs.

( @ 39.2 grains of IMR #3031 your chamber pressure is 50,831 PSI just to give you a idea of where you are in relation to your MAX pressure)

I've got charts the software brings up for all of this but I haven't figured out how to post them on this website yet. Cry

7mm Magnum wrote:
I've got charts the software brings up for all of this but I haven't figured out how to post them on this website yet. Cry

Are the charts graphics or HTML? If graphic, you can click the add attachment button (below the message input window), after you have saved the graphic to your computer and then browsed for it.

It its HTML based, you can cut and paste the HTML and it should display here. If its a chart, its probably formatted within a table and the code should be easy to identify.

It would be nice to see the charts! Yes

7mm Magnum's picture
moderator wrote:
7mm Magnum wrote:

Are the charts graphics or HTML? If graphic, you can click the add attachment button (below the message input window), after you have saved the graphic to your computer and then browsed for it.

It its HTML based, you can cut and paste the HTML and it should display here. If its a chart, its probably formatted within a table and the code should be easy to identify.

I'll see what I can do to post them up for every one to look at later this afternoon.
I'm currently at work,.. I've got a part time job as a mechanical tech. for a private

sportsmans club for suplemental income, so I'll work things out once I get home.

I'll get back with you all later today. Yes

All very interesting stuff-Me I have always tested my loads on paper at short ranges--often with chrono-then on animals--I had many FS bullets loaded for my 300 a few years ago and they were fast-accurate BUT didn't expand in the 300 on an elk-- Winc gave me a pallet of bullets to test and they worked ok on moose but again on bear-- no expansion- they founbd they were ok in 06 and 300 at speeds less than 27oo FPS-- so they adjusted something cause i see they are still selling them.

7mm Magnum's picture
moderator wrote:
7mm Magnum wrote:

So OK,.. I'm home and uploaded the software scan to my pictures folder hopefully everything works out the 1st time ! Thumbs up

Ok,.. it took me 2 tries Think It's not the clearest but it.s still legible,.. If you want me to email you a copy it will be more clear reading

PreviewAttachmentSize
2nd attempt.jpg
2nd attempt.jpg81.51 KB
7mm Magnum's picture
Widux wrote:
All very interesting stuff-Me I have always tested my loads on paper at short ranges--often with chrono-then on animals--I had many FS bullets loaded for my 300 a few years ago and they were fast-accurate BUT didn't expand in the 300 on an elk-- Winc gave me a pallet of bullets to test and they worked ok on moose but again on bear-- no expansion- they founbd they were ok in 06 and 300 at speeds less than 27oo FPS-- so they adjusted something cause i see they are still selling them.

Yep,.. me too until I obtained my reloading software. After I first got the program I wanted to compare the actual things that I could physically,... specifically the chronographed speeds. I was delightfully surprised to find out that the software varied a whole 12-20 FPS !! cool That told me something,... the math the software was using to compute everything was good enough to prove to me it was going to be VERY reliable in all of the aspects. The program allows me to alter some of the variables,... barrel lengths, case lengths, seating depths, powder charges in tenths of a grain, etc.

Just by running the numbers on the H#380 he was thinking of using I could tell immediately that the powder would work but not very efficiently.

This software is WELL worth every penny I spent on it,... Yes I can run various load combinations on the screen before wasting my time, materials, and hard earned cash on a venture that didn't turn out like I thought it would at the range.

Ok i ee it's value but just like any chart you still need to try it to be sure your appoication works--a great guide also- thanks for info.

7mm Magnum's picture
Widux wrote:
Ok i ee it's value but just like any chart you still need to try it to be sure your appoication works--a great guide also- thanks for info.

Oh,... for SURE !! Yes

That's a most definite and affirmative on that !! I don't JUST trust the software,..
I ALWAYS confirm with the chroney and the target. There have been a couple of instances where things did not work out favorably.

For instance there were a couple of loads I built that were using the "Partition" projectile and I got nothing but fliers. Used different powders,.. grain weights, a gazillion various adjustments off the lands,... nothing seemed to work out !
So I just found out that MY 7mm Mag doesn't like Nosler Partitions !

The same variables with any OTHER projectile I used in their place gave me favorable results.

Now my .300 SAUM loves the Partition. Think

We're on same wave length--My 300 Win mag loves Partitions but does not care for Hornady Interlocks--why I'll never know. Guess I need to get done as it's spring and fishing and turkey seasons start soon.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
.50 Cal Loadsprhunter401/22/2010 22:27 pm
Looking for 375 H&H Loadsseaniffd601/17/2008 14:18 pm
Savage 111 TH XP .300 win mag for kid ?gatortag505/29/2013 10:34 am
A Gummy FamilyTndeerhunter412/16/2010 18:33 pm
Sticker shockDon Fischer002/16/2008 10:38 am