65 replies [Last post]
bitmasher's picture
240,000 dollars awarded to man forced to cover Arab T-shirt

What really disgusts me about this case is Jarrar is quoted in a few articles about how bad Iraq is (he is Iraqi and became a citizen in 2006) but he never expected to be "oppressed" in America.

Dude should go back to wherever he came from. I'm sure he can quickly get a racial profiling verdict on some Iraqi airline. I have to admit it didn't take him long to figure out to make a mint American judicial style. Clearly a member of the entitlement generation. He is entitled to show everybody his shirt and if we don't like it well he is entitled to some $$$$.

In some ways this incidence seems straight out of the "Bonfire of the Vanities". Definitely some winners in the case but truth and justice isn't one of them.

expatriate's picture

JTap, it pains me to argue with you because we both see eye to eye on so much.

However, I stick to my guns on the Constitutional issue. The Civil Rights acts you mentioned took constitutional principles on such things as housing discrimination and segregated seating on buses and codified them into law.

But the fact remains that violations of such acts are not violations of the Constitution itself. If they were, then a Supreme Court decision would've done it. The civil rights acts were put in place to give the government authority to regulate private matters.

The government has authority to regulate private interactions, but if you read the Constitution you'll find repeated instances where it states "Congress will make no law." All the Constitution cares about is limiting the government's ability to impose unfair laws. It is not by itself civil law, unless applied to citizen interactions with governing bodies -- which is why the case files of the Supreme Court are almost exclusively comprised of cases involving governing bodies in some form, and whether the governing body infringed on personal liberty through improper legislation.

CVC
CVC's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Quote:

Ah, that is the difference between us and our liberal friends. We don't walk lockstep together on every issue. We are independent thinkers who are not afraid to differ from each other on various issues. In general, our philosophy and positions are the same, but we are individuals.

bitmasher wrote:
Watching this thread evolve has been interesting. A lot more of you are on Jarrar's side than I would have guessed.

Let's take the incident as fact from Jarrar. He was not racial profiled, but simply required to cover or don some other shirt. Profiling would have been denying him passage. JetBlue's right to decide what is inappropriate on its flight supersedes Jarrar's right to wear whatever he wants. This should be cut and dry, the fact that you may or may not find the shirt offensive is irrelevant, JetBlue's opinion is the only one that matters since its their jet.

Furthermore he was given the option to mitigate the situation by simply changing clothes, paid for by JetBlue. JetBlue went out of its way to accommodate him.

I think where JetBlue got in trouble was the ACLU claimed that even after he had changed clothes he was moved from his assigned front of the plane seat to the back of the plane. Hardly deserving of a quarter of a million, but if true it is arguably more of a racial profiling issue.

For those that sided with Jarrar, does this guy deserve a payout too?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/7431640.stm

I posted this awhile back here:

http://www.biggamehunt.net/node/24660

I actually do not side with Jarrar nor against JetBlue, but rather I side with The Constitution, or what I believe,(and the SCOTUS), the Constitution to mean for the sake of argument.
It would have been nice to have the full story with all the details though.

As for the links to the Transformer Tee Shirt, that was in England and would not be covered by the Constitution. However if in the US I believe that the mans Rights may have been violated, IF he was actually refused passage on a domestic flight and not just threatened with no admittance.

Furthermore The everyday citizen in the UK does not enjoy the right to bear arms that we do here so the picture of the Gun on the Tee Shirt may mean something completely different to those in the UK.

Lastly there is a huge difference in being intimidated by a Picture of a Gun on a Tee Shirt and being intimidated by the words "We will not be silent" written in Arabic.

CVC wrote:
Quote:

Ah, that is the difference between us and our liberal friends. We don't walk lockstep together on every issue. We are independent thinkers who are not afraid to differ from each other on various issues. In general, our philosophy and positions are the same, but we are individuals.

Great observation CVC.
I believe that this thread shows that disagreement is not hatred.
It was debated cleanly and with facts with references with no name calling or threats.......well I did threaten to fire my Realtor, but not as a personal attack, and above all there could be humor thrown in that nobody took offense to.
I knew from the get go that I was not going to change anybody's mind but wanted to present my side in an attempt to present another point of view based on my interpetation of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
American Made vs. Overseas ManufacturingFieldDress902/27/2009 01:50 am
Horn mount coverflyanbrian1308/05/2008 20:49 pm
Firearm Coverganny76312/24/2007 20:07 pm
Looking for a well made, reliable shotgun for 200 dollarsredneckhunter504/08/2008 20:12 pm
Dog For Sale:M.Bird309/19/2011 10:57 am