65 replies [Last post]
CVC
CVC's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
240,000 dollars awarded to man forced to cover Arab T-shirt

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090106/ts_alt_afp/ustransportairsecuritymuslimsrights_090106002219

They forced an American citizen to cover up his t-shirt that had arabic writing on it because it made passengers feel uncomfortable.

While I can be sensitive to the concern that his ethnicity and t-shirt may have raised, I cannot support the airline singling him out and making him cover up his t-shirt.

The same with the muslim passengers denied passage on an airline just recently.

Sorry, but there are inherent risks when you have a free society and we cannot discriminate against someone because of their LEGAL opinions, heritage, name, looks, etc.

I agree. Denying someone passage due to a legitimate security concern is acceptable. Doing so because of their manner of dress is not. I have to admit though, if I were on the flight I would probably eye them a bit more carefully than the others. Maybe it's wrong, but I would. We certainly have cause for concern but not for outright descrimination.

$240,000.00 for making someone cover up their shirt?

With law suits like that, you never know what might happen. Why, someone might be able to get $1,000,000.00 if they merely spilled their own hot coffee on themselves.

While I certainly don't condone the actions of the folks at the airport, $240,000.00 seems pretty exhorbitant to me.

CVC
CVC's picture

You're right the settlement might be a bit high.

On your other point, come on, no jury would ever award someone a dime for spilling their own hot coffee on their own lap. Laugh

expatriate's picture

I eagerly await lawyers citing this case in lawsuits on behalf of school kids forced to hide T-shirts with religious messages or firearm themes. My third grader was suspended a couple months ago because he took a 1-1/2 inch long cheap hollow plastic squirt gun (empty) to school that he got in a Halloween party bag. He didn't even brandish it -- it fell out of his backpack and someone saw it.

The kid's gonna be rich...

Anyone know where I can get one of those tee shirts???? I've got a flight coming up soon and could use the extra cash.....
Rogie

bitmasher's picture

This wasn't actually a case victory. The "award" came from an out of court settlement, no judge or jury ruled or found in favor of the plaintiff. No case to sight...

I don't agree that the plaintiff had a "constitutional right" to express himself on a private plane.

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/US/01/07/jet.blue.settlement/

expatriate's picture

The thing that bothers me most about this is that this settlement makes us more susceptible to terrorism.

Airline and TSA employees are now going to be much more reluctant to confront people like Mohammed Atta. They'll shake the rest of us down while turning a blind eye to the high risk people because they're afraid of being sued. After this, I think the best way to get first class treatment on your flight is to act as Islamic as possible.

Better yet, just before takeoff start rocking back and forth chanting "Allahu Akhbar" loudly over and over. If the airline does anything about it, you can sue them because you're afraid of flying and they're infringing on your religious rights.

CVC
CVC's picture

I think we have to be cautious in how we deal with Muslims and people from the middle east.

The airline said his shirt made passengers uncomfortable, not that he was a security risk and if he was, how did covering it up make him any less of a security risk?

Suppose you get on a plane and have a military shirt, or a republican party or a Palin or even an Alaska shirt on and that makes passengers uncomfortable? Will you say sure, whatever, bring me a generic shirt and I'll change.

Sure profile people but if there is no evidence other than their race, country of origin, beliefs or religion, that they are a security threat then you must let them fly or continue on with whatever legal activity they were engaged in.

Erode their rights and ours are soon to follow.

expatriate's picture

I disagree. It wasn't Palin supporters who attacked the '72 Olymics, bombed the Beirut barracks, attacked the Rome airport or Berlin Disco, bombed Pan Am 103, hijacked a TWA flight and murdered passengers, murdered Leon Klinghoffer and threw him off the Achille Lauro, bombed the World Trade Center, bombed the Cole, bombed our embassies, bombed Khobar Towers, bombed Bali, bombed Madrid, attacked us on 9/11, beheaded Americans, or killed goodness knows how many with suicide bombers.

If I were to see any condemnation of terrorism out of the Muslim world, I'd feel differently. If Mullahs and Imams were decrying the violence and calling for a more peaceful way of addressing differences, I might be more inclined to agree with you. But instead, all we hear is support for the terrorists or at best silence.

IMO, if they don't like people being nervous around them, they need to condemn terrorism and earn respect and tolerance, rather than suing for it. They need to realize that we're not the ones giving them a bad name -- it's the terrorists they refuse to condemn. They're perpetuating a negative stereotype through their silence.

I've lived abroad and been subject to suspicious looks and scrutiny. But I recognized that the suspicion was because of actions of a few bad apples that looked like me. So I didn't spend my time creating further resentment and alienation by suing those who doubted me. I spent my time condemning what the bad apples had done and demonstrating that I shared the same sense of outrage that my doubters had and clearly establishing that the criminals' actions were outside the norm and unsupported by Americans.

CVC
CVC's picture

I hear you and don't disagree that we are too PC when dealing with potential terrorists. For example, it makes sense to allow me to walk through security with no additional checks when they pull a lady out of a wheelchair, prop her up on a walker and wand her.

But, while I think it makes sense to have a greater scrutiny of Muslims, once the person is cleared they should not be denied boarding or forced to cover up a shirt.

Wearing a shirt in Arabic - pull them out of line, search their person, search their luggage, eye them suspiciously, but if there are no laws or airline guidelines against the shirt then he should be able to wear it.

Didn't I see a post by you a while back about a student that got in trouble for wearing a McCain shirt or something like that? Same thing - we may not like it, but we need to tolerate it.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
American Made vs. Overseas ManufacturingFieldDress902/27/2009 01:50 am
Horn mount coverflyanbrian1308/05/2008 20:49 pm
Firearm Coverganny76312/24/2007 20:07 pm
Looking for a well made, reliable shotgun for 200 dollarsredneckhunter504/08/2008 20:12 pm
Dog For Sale:M.Bird309/19/2011 10:57 am