27 replies [Last post]
223 rem VS mule deer

thats rediculas so ur saying that someone in utah could hunt deer with a .17 remington, i think someone didnt read the regs or utah needs to fix something and as far as a 223 for deer with a fmj that is something i would never do i wouldnt ever even use a 223 for deer period, unless i knew a shot would be under 100 yards. Different strokes for different folkes i guess

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
223 rem VS mule deer

I agree that they need to clarify some things but that is what it says on page 41 of the 2009 Utah Big Game Guidebook.
I think that they leave a lot up the the better judgment of the hunter of what caliber to use where a .223 would work on a deer or antelope I think that an elk or moose would just wonder where the bee came from that just stung him.

exbiologist's picture
223 rem VS mule deer

Seriously dude, an FMJ is all she shot well? Or is that all you gave her to shoot? And you aren't sure if they are legal? I'd be willing to bet they aren't legal. I'm glad you took your daughter hunting and I'm glad to see you so proud, but FMJs are a big "no-no".

223 rem VS mule deer

i had to delete my last post and make a new one I dont think it was to sportsman like. HERE WE GO THE ONLY REASON I MADE A POST IS SO I COULD TELL OTHER HUNTERS THAT A 223 FMJ DID THE JOB AND THEN SOME. I HAVE NEVER EVER HEARD OF ANYONE TRYING IT. SO IF I WAS READING A POST FROM SOMEONE ELSE AND HE HAD HUNTED FOR MANY YEARS AND TOLD ME THIS I WOULD SAY GOOD INFO. i have shot deer with my 300 ultra at 125yds and the bullet went threw it with no damage at all so much speed behind that wow i was shocked i didnt find that deer till the next day just happen to run into it dead 300 yds were it was hit no blood left nothing. what i am getting at with a 223 hardly no recoil who cant hit dead on, everyone might say oh dont use a fmj on a deer but have they done that to see what they are preaching no. I sold my 300 ultr for 300 and wouldnt trade for anythig but maybe we are using to big of cal for deer from what I have seen i would do it all over. it is all on the bullet placement we all aim for the spot (behind front shoulder) but a lot of hunters miss due to the big guns they think they need to much recoil Iv been there. so now we know a 223 IS LEGAL maybe you should try it. next year i will give her the same gun a 223 for the pin point accuracy that is all she can handle I think CRITTER was right leave it up to the hunter to make the decision. good luck hunting

elkkill06's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
223 rem VS mule deer

hunter q, for some reason I new this would happen! Brick Wall,) As far as the .223 I say do it, maybe I would use a expanding bullet though.

The eskimos up north use .222 and .223 all the time to shoot polar bears and seals and they die quickly. I have seen several videos on this and have a cousin in Alaska that has gone and watched this in person with a personal eskimo friend.

If the .223 is legal use it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HeavyC's picture
223 rem VS mule deer

Yes, sorry to take away from your daughter's success. Switch bullets have her practice some more and all is well! Hey, now you know if nothing else.

Still sweet getting her out Thumbs up

Alpine_Archer's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
223 rem VS mule deer

No ones preaching, the .223 is not in question here. The bullet your using is not legal in the state you hunt and you should not continue using it PERIOD Brick Wall,) The rules and regs are there for a reason if you want to break them thats up to fish and game to enforce. I thought you might want to know that FMJ's are not legal is all. My grandad tells me about killing deer in the 60's with a .22 im not questioning the stopping power of your rifle.

Throw a soft point in that gun and enjoy your next season.

SoCoKHntr's picture
223 rem VS mule deer
hunter g wrote:
i had to delete my last post and make a new one I dont think it was to sportsman like. HERE WE GO THE ONLY REASON I MADE A POST IS SO I COULD TELL OTHER HUNTERS THAT A 223 FMJ DID THE JOB AND THEN SOME. I HAVE NEVER EVER HEARD OF ANYONE TRYING IT. SO IF I WAS READING A POST FROM SOMEONE ELSE AND HE HAD HUNTED FOR MANY YEARS AND TOLD ME THIS I WOULD SAY GOOD INFO. i have shot deer with my 300 ultra at 125yds and the bullet went threw it with no damage at all so much speed behind that wow i was shocked i didnt find that deer till the next day just happen to run into it dead 300 yds were it was hit no blood left nothing. what i am getting at with a 223 hardly no recoil who cant hit dead on, everyone might say oh dont use a fmj on a deer but have they done that to see what they are preaching no. I sold my 300 ultr for 300 and wouldnt trade for anythig but maybe we are using to big of cal for deer from what I have seen i would do it all over. it is all on the bullet placement we all aim for the spot (behind front shoulder) but a lot of hunters miss due to the big guns they think they need to much recoil Iv been there. so now we know a 223 IS LEGAL maybe you should try it. next year i will give her the same gun a 223 for the pin point accuracy that is all she can handle I think CRITTER was right leave it up to the hunter to make the decision. good luck hunting

Oh, hell, I'm bored so I'm going to address this statement here even though I commented on this same thread in the Rocky Mt. section.

Hunter G, you are arguing extremes here. No one is saying your daughter should be shooting a 338 Winchester Magnum or better for deer hunting. While big medicine like that will surely womp a deer or elk especially with the right bullet like you said it's surely not needed to get the job done.

And, just as thousands if not millions of deer have fallen to the 22 long rifle and 22 Mag thousands and millions of deer and elk and other animals have run off and died horrible deaths from being hit by these calibers or if lucky healed and survived.

Now, between these two extremes we have hundreds of calibers to choose from which could be considered ideal for the hunting conditions we might face. Now, we know hunting mule deer out West we might encounter shots ranging from 25 yards out to 300 or better for a skilled shooter. Calibers which using the right bullet which would be a good blend of killing power and light recoil for younger are smaller framed individuals would be 243 on the light side up thru 308 to 270. These calibers and the many between them provided a good blend of adequate medicine to confidently kill deer sized game if the shooter does his or her part and minimal recoil far more manageable then from the big Magnums.

223's, 22-250's, 220 Swifts, are lighting fast calibers pushing light bullets typically 45 at the lightest to 65 gr at the heaviest. When the stars align right that speed can be devastatingly fatal on deer or even elk. But, especially on coyote sized game which they should be used for. With lighter bullets many things can go wrong if bone is hit or the range is extended too far and velocity is shed fast when shooting bigger thicker deer sized animals.

Why take a chance when more consistent medicine can be used?

And, in regard to your 'I just wanted to tell folks it can be done' comment. Expect a little flack if you are going to post something questionable like that and in most cases illegal. I'd expect if if I got on here and said 'hey guys, I killed an elk with a 22 Mag and just wanted to let you know it could be done'.

That is all.

223 rem VS mule deer

points well taken, i do enjoy hearing everyone opinion's on this matter Thumbs up good luck hunting

223 rem VS mule deer

Congrats to the girl, that's GREAT! She did a good job and will probably want to spend more time in the field with Dad.. Again - for that a job VERY well done to you BOTH!

Dad, I commend you for getting her out and being there with her for her first deer, what a special moment for you both!!

Sorry to see excitement with girls deer tarnished in this thread. Please give her my congrat's!! We can then start a new thread about different bullet options you can offer her for next year's hunt when she asks you to take her back! lol

All in all - job well done. I would have made same choice on rifle if legal here (not in CO, but no doubt it can get the job done where legal to use!), she has her blaze on, deer tagged, and best of all that pricless smile that you'll never forget! Thumbs up

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
ELK vs MULE DEERsgutierrez804/25/2012 09:54 am
Mule Deer eyeguards.bigbucks8501/07/2007 13:13 pm
MULE DEER ???huntin_chick1212/30/2006 14:26 pm
Mule Deer in CORemington742103/14/2010 13:41 pm
New to Mule Deer huntingColorado606/23/2005 12:59 pm