27 replies [Last post]
223 rem VS mule deer

my little girl 12 years old got her first deer today and the only gun i felt was good for her to shoot was my browning 223. I always wondered what it would do to a deer and when she shot this buck at 150 yds i was shocked, with a full metal jacket her first shot was in the back leg 6" below the hip and it had almost taken that leg off it was dangling the buck ran down and across from us at 100yds the buck stopped and she shot it in the shoulder and it fell like a ton of crap we went up to it and the 2nd shot went threw the shoulder blade and the bullet split in two there was a 2 exit holes 4" from each other on the other side behind the front shoulder after the fun part "gut" the heart was hit aswell so if any one ever tells you 223 will not kill a deer they dont know what they are talking about. here is a few pic

PreviewAttachmentSize
IMG_0314.JPG
IMG_0314.JPG807.35 KB
elkkill06's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
223 rem VS mule deer

What a great first deer and congrats! Thumbs up Always put the bullet where it needs to be and it is a dead deer.

223 rem VS mule deer

Never doubted the abilities of the .223, questioned fmj bullets though.

223 rem VS mule deer

That is cool ! Thumbs up I can hardly waite till I can take out my Kids One is 5 and the other is 3.
Congrats one her first deer.
Regards F.K.

Alpine_Archer's picture
223 rem VS mule deer

thats a great buck your daughter got there. I'm pretty sure FMJ's are not legal hunting ammo you must use expandable bullets. you might wanna check on that before u get checked by fish and game.

HeavyC's picture
223 rem VS mule deer
Alpine_Archer wrote:
thats a great buck your daughter got there. I'm pretty sure FMJ's are not legal hunting ammo you must use expandable bullets. you might wanna check on that before u get checked by fish and game.

Depends on what state you are in I pretty sure. Like in Colorado you cannot even use a .223 for big game, it has to be a .24 (6.5) or bigger.

Nice buck there girl!!! Thumbs up CONGRATS! cool

223 rem VS mule deer

im not even sure if it is legal here as well but it was the only thing i new she could hit fairly good with i think next time to be real safe il have her shoot a barnes or something like that. i wish i would have taken a pic of the hole it put in that thing it may change a lot of hunters minds on the use of a 223. I use a 300 for my self and i seams to do the job. i didnt feel real comfortable putting that in a 12 year old's hands if you know what i mean.

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
223 rem VS mule deer

A .223 will do the job but the possibility of a wounded deer is a lot higher. I do know of a number of hunters in Utah that will use it as a close range rifle when they are road hunting for meat and a small buck will do. As far as the hole that it leaves it should be a large one since the bullet will start to tumble end over end once it hits an obstruction. That is one of the reasons that it make such a good military round.

Back when the .220 Swift along with the .22-250 were first starting out a lot of hunters were surprised at how quick the both of them would kill a deer. A lot of hunters thought that they were the greatest thing since the bolt action was invented. When you shot a deer with either one of them they would drop in their tracks, but then they started to loose them to bad shots or the bullets just blowing up when they hit a heavy bone. The conclusion is that yes a .22 center fire will or will not work, it just depends.

Alpine_Archer's picture
223 rem VS mule deer
hunter g wrote:
im not even sure if it is legal here as well but it was the only thing i new she could hit fairly good with i think next time to be real safe il have her shoot a barnes or something like that. i wish i would have taken a pic of the hole it put in that thing it may change a lot of hunters minds on the use of a 223. I use a 300 for my self and i seams to do the job. i didnt feel real comfortable putting that in a 12 year old's hands if you know what i mean.

your not sure if it's legal but you used it anyway. Sounds like alot of the hunters around here this season. not knowing is no excuse not to abide by the rules a regs.

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
223 rem VS mule deer

Utah's only requirement on a rifle is that it must be a center fire so he is ok there, but the bullet must be an expanding type. I believe that the reason for Colorado's minimum caliber of a .24 is that you may also be hunting an elk along with a deer.

Alpine_Archer's picture
223 rem VS mule deer
Critter wrote:
Utah's only requirement on a rifle is that it must be a center fire so he is ok there, but the bullet must be an expanding type. I believe that the reason for Colorado's minimum caliber of a .24 is that you may also be hunting an elk along with a deer.

I was reffering to the FMJ not the caliber. FMJ's are not expandable bullets... so therefore your not legal. I'm not trying to be an ass just pointing out that your not hunting legaly which is becoming more and more of a problem these days.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
ELK vs MULE DEERsgutierrez804/25/2012 09:54 am
Mule Deer eyeguards.bigbucks8501/07/2007 13:13 pm
MULE DEER ???huntin_chick1212/30/2006 14:26 pm
Mule Deer in CORemington742103/14/2010 13:41 pm
New to Mule Deer huntingColorado606/23/2005 12:59 pm