10 replies [Last post]
niceshot_smitty's picture
223 for pigs

I looking at going on a pig hunt this next winter in south texas and was wondering if 223 was enough for big pigs. 

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
It's too small.  While it

It's too small.  While it will kill a pig so will a .22 long rifle.  If it was me I wouldn't take anything less than a .243 and preferably something 6mm and larger. 

Ok i will look in to taking

Ok i will look in to taking my 280 remington or 308 win.  thanks

hunter25's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
I have hunted hogs 3 times

I have hunted hogs 3 times now and am planning to do more this fall. As a general rule I would say that whatever you hunt deer with would be about the best as you are familiar with that rifle anyway. I have always used my 7 mag so far and my son has been using a .270. Most of them are just over a hundred punds although some of the old boars can go far larger.

Interestingly though on all the ranches I have hunted on the owners themselves did in fact use a .223 for all of there hog hunting. But I think it's because they only see them as a pest and often don't even go to check them after the shot. An AR15 seems to be the weapon of choice on most ranches for a truck gun these days.

I was thinking my AR, but i

I was thinking my AR, but i will go with bigger round.  Don't want to lose that good eatin hog.

groovy mike's picture
223 on pigs?

I agree that 223 is too light a cartridge to deliver consistently clean kills on big swine. It can kill animals. Even big ones with proper shot placement but you would be much farther ahead to go with a full sized thirty plus caliber cartridge like 308, 30-06, or even larger. As Robert Raurk advised – Use Enough Gun – and when in doubt overkill is far better than not killing at all. Check out TNHunter’s article on the shield carried by big boars.

WesternHunter's picture
you would think

Actually a lot of guys use a .223 rem for wild pigs and it seems to work just fine.  Penetrates through and through.  It's like with any cartridge, just make sure you place your shot well.

I've hunted them with Black Curs and O'l Southern White Bulldogs.  All that was needed was a 7 inch slender bladed knife to pierce the heart once.  I can't see where a .223 would be any less effective.

ndemiter's picture
I shot a nice boar hog with a

I shot a nice boar hog with a 30'06 using a hornady interlock. the bullet was just under the skin on the far side of that hog. a perfect mushroom, but no full penetration. I couldn't have picked a better place to put my shot either.

i'f also used nosler ballistic tips, they fragment instead of penetrate. i would use a barnes bullet or a hornady GMX. then the .223 might give you what you need if you're shooting an alloy bullet like those.

but, western hunter, you're right. knife or spear is the way to go!

Alpine_Archer's picture
We have a small game seaon

We have a small game season here in florida where we can take small game including wild hogs. They do limit us to shotgun's and rim fire rifles. Most everyone I know uses a .22 magnum or a .17HMR. I myself prefer a 12 guage with PDX1's loaded in it lol...

I've seen alot of hogs get shot and run off from the center fire rifles but that ha salot to do with shot p-lacement. I agree that if placed right they are effective. I'd rather have a little more stopping power though. These hogs down here in FL are tough. I've shot a big boar 3 times with buckshot and had it run off a few years back.

As long as your aiming for the ear hole or head a .223 should be fine but if your shooting for a shoulder that .223 might not bust threw that armor.

I agree with everyone I

I agree with everyone I guess.  I would only use a .223 if I was head shooting.  Which is what we do out of stands.  They either die in there tracks or you miss and they live another day.  If you are trying for a heart shot or shoulder shot then I would get something bigger.  We have some good size boars here in NW FL that have some pretty tough armor.  Now if you got some bay dogs and a catch dog then just use the 7 inch blade as someone else said.  Much more fun!!!

Countryhikchick's picture
I use a .270, works great.

I use a .270, works great.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Pigs in PAsn_lhy908/08/2011 22:10 pm
Los Padres pigsPigpopper605/02/2006 19:17 pm
Places near McAllen TX to hunt pigs?ilsmokepoler009/13/2009 20:37 pm
pigs in PAArcheryeditor307/25/2008 19:32 pm
ANY WILD PIGS IN CATSKILLS?limbuck106/12/2011 20:19 pm