49 replies [Last post]
223 for hunting Whitetails

Thanks DAGA1, I would like to see his dad get on a Mule deer at some point. I put in for a Wyoming tag a few years ago to film one for the show. Then the outfitter got tossed in jail. Seems someone did not have a license. Dodged that bullett.

I am looking at NE fo a possible location for mule deer. I see them when I hunt in TX, be the season is never in when I am there.

As for Dill, can he hunt in NM. He is be 8 next Jan.
My name is mud around our house right now. I am off to SC after Christmas and I am going alone. The bot is not too happy with me right now. But he hunted in SC and NH last year and although I feel he put his time in. He was a little too lucky. He took 3 deer, 3 turkey (two toms bigger that any I have ever shot) and a book bear in NH. I do not want him to burn out and I need to keep him wanting to go.

So I am off with some friends to do a little whack and stack in SC. I will take him again with me in Feb. to do some hog hunting.

greatamericanhuntingstore wrote:
I love the 243 to hunt deer. But correct me if I am wrong don’t the military use .223 and I would say it is harder to e in combat than deer. I know of several people that hunt with a 223. And they do fine. But remember shock kills and a 223 will shock the animals that you hit.
Troy
http://www.greatamericanhuntingtore.com
http://www.huntingthebackwoods.com

The idea with military is not to kill the enemy, but to disable him so he can't fight, and to require three other personell to care for him. Iddtionally, the idea with the little 22 cartridge, is weight, so each man can carry a lot more ammo, and to fill the air with bullets, by a team of shooters, and hope to hit something. This is so that if one rifle fails to operate, it makes little difference, because he has a whole fire team to back him while he clears his weapon.

I don't know where you get your numbers but a 100 gr bullet traveling @ 3000 fps, creats a hell of a lot more shock that a little .22 caliber bullet doing the same. The .223 is not a deer cartridge, and is illegal for that purpose in many states. The .223 bullet traveling @3100fps has only 1148 fpe @100 yds, and the 6mm bullet traveling @only 3000 fps developes 1681 fpe at 100 yds.

Wow Dugaboy!...... and to think I came back in here to offer you the 788 Remington 30-30. Oh well so much for that idea.

Ironwood wrote:
Wow Dugaboy!...... and to think I came back in here to offer you the 788 Remington 30-30. Oh well so much for that idea.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Ironwood, I have no idea what upset you! The only place I have mentioned you was defending you against cam69conv's quote below,

I was speaking to cam69conv! Meaning just because we are codgers, doesn't mean we stopped seeing new things 40 yrs ago! The whole quote below was speaking to cam69conv.

Sorry IRONWOOD if you misunderstood, and/or that I didn't make my meaning clear!

Quote:
By Cam69conv

LoL I wasnt riled till someone tried to say I had no clue as to what I was speaking about, when it was OBVIOUS I did and do!! Got some codgers on here that are stuck in the dang past. I aint no spring chicken but I love to learn new things and try to stay current with technology of todays firearms. Maybe if some of our "older" members would try that, things wouldnt get so heated!
I tried the heavy rifle approach with my Middle son and it really didnt work out so well for him. But that was in the mountains like you said so I ended up carrying it for him

243 winchester should work nicely.....take some pics of the first kill!

Well, I reckon this is as good a place as any to make my first post. Thumbs up

I've been deer hunting in south Arkansas for 30 years, so I've seen a few things in my time. This year my 8 year old daughter wanted to deer hunt with me (oh yeah!) so I took her to the rifle range with my Winchester Model 100 .243, and after two shots she handed me the rifle and said, "Daddy, I don't think I'm big enough for this one yet." Needless to say, my feathers drooped and we went home. The next day I went and bought her a H&R Youth Handi-Rifle in .223 and she LOVED it!

To save a few bucks on ammo I started her out with my old Marlin .22 and she had a blast.

Then we moved on to her new .223:

And the rest is history!

Her first deer ever. Exit wound shown in picture.

Heart Shot!

Her first buck, exit wound shown again.

If you're willing to work with your kid at the range, and keep the shots close, the .223 is a great beginners rifle. I'd never be one to say that a .223 is perfect for deer, and as soon as she's comforable with a .243 that's what she'll be shooting. But for now the .223 is just fine. Thumbs up

As for me.....I'll let you guess which caliber I prefer....

.270Win

redrider's picture

Welcome to BGH Big smile
Looks like you are doing a great job with your daughter Thumbs up

That is friggin awesome man. You have a great thing going there. Keep up the good work!!!!!

Thanks guys, I'm very proud of my daughter that's for sure. Yes

I bought her a Bear Odyssey II for Christmas and she's worked up to 26# draw weight. Another 14# and she'll be my bowhunting buddy too! Thumbs up

.270Win

Related Forum Threads You Might Like