49 replies [Last post]
223 for hunting Whitetails

Nope I aint 12 and 70 pounds. But my daughter was 12 and around 70 pounds just 8 years ago. And at 12 she was shooting my .270!!! The recoil of a 7mm.08 is nowhere NEAR 40 to 50% more than a .243 I know because I HAVE one. I dont have to compare it on paper. As I said TWICE now, recoil suppression technology reduces FELT recoil. Im not a young wippersnapper myself and Id just about bet my knowledge of firearms is well within your range as I was trained by some of the best in the world (marine scout/snipers) and do know just a smidge about this subject. Felt recoil verses true recoil is 2 completely different worlds. Its like comparing a single shot to an Auto loader. Which ones gonna kick the hardest? You have suppression in different ways, I.E. An auto loader will take a good bit of the recoil. Then you have Gun Weight, then Recoil absorbtion in kick pads. Many ways to lessen the Felt blow of recoil. At the chamber is where they come up with all this data that people read and think because it says it in a reputable magazine then it must be gospel. But that aint the facts here. Yes if you put up 2 identical rifles, one chambered in .243 and the other in 7mm.08 then yes there is a small difference. Now you take that 7mm.08 and put a kick pad on it then put it on a kick scale and see what you get in the difference. Its FELT recoil that is the killer and it is easily reduced. A .243 is a wonderful calibre for deer but say in a year or 2 PoPs wants to take her on an Elk hunt. You think he is going to want to have her out for a Bull Elk with a .243? It would kill it with the right bullet but it would sure be undergunned. Now say he got her the 7mm.08...Load that puppy up with some 145's and go wailing!!!

Ironwood you completely missed my point as far as using REDUCING technology so that the 7mm.08 would be a viable and more productive chambering. While yes I do love the .243 for kids, as All mine started with, the 7mm.08 is a more viable and powerful round. With todays recoil suppression there is just no need to limit her to the smaller .243 when there is a better choice! Its that simple. And as far as you thinking I havnt shot something big sir. Try on the M107 Barret .50cal then come talk to me about KICK!! Or even better, Come take my Mossburg 500 pumper with a deer slayer barrel on it and 3 inch lightfields and sight it in for me. I'll bet your shoulder will WISHING it had the same stock my .300 win mag has on it.

It's ok Granny. I can see it's hopeless. He knows nothing of what he's speaking. This is my last reply to this thread. Good luck to you and your daughter.

Know nothing of what Im speaking? Ok old man if thats the way you wish to be then fine and dandy. Typical responce from someone that just got shown that in actuallity it was THEY that know not of what they speak. Im pushing 50 and have plenty of experience with all sorts of weapondry ironwood. You wish to insult and go crying off then go for it. But do not try to insult the intelligence of the one that just showed you that you dont know as much as you think. Come out of the 50's ironwood. Technology has surpassed recoil for several years now. Just because YOU dont know about it doesnt make it unreal!!

Now back to the subject, Ganny get whichever she feels the most comfy with and do your best to match the weapon with the intended target. If you feel that you may take her on an elk hunt in the near future then my advise would be the 7mm.08. The recoil difference would be dependant upon the weapon but a good simms kick pad would really make a world of difference for either one!

Also since your in FL a pig hunt would probably be in order as well Yes So again the 7mm.08 would be best there.

Kinda interesting how some subjects that sound simple enough can get so many folks all riled up.

ganny, if you are considering using a larger cal. gun then go as heavy a gun as she or you can tote. You being from Sneads there aren't much in the form of mountains so you really don't need the light walmart specials. If you hunt from tree stands and use some sort of shooting rest then go as heavy a gun as she can lift onto the rest. If you hunt from a shooting house then you can go even heavier and just place it on the rest for her. If your hunting style involves alot of walking then you'll need a lighter rifle which will require a lighter calibre in order to prevent too much recoil.
There is a great difference in recoil{felt} from a 7 lb. rifle than from a 12 or 13 lb rifle, problem is the 7 lb rifle can be bought cheaply almost anywhere where as the heavier rifles must be searched for and most likely special ordered and is a bit more pricey however it will be a rifle that she could use a lifetime and then pass it on down to her daughter or son.

All that ammo for my detractors being said, the .243 and the .08 are still excellent choices.

LoL I wasnt riled till someone tried to say I had no clue as to what I was speaking about, when it was OBVIOUS I did and do!! Got some codgers on here that are stuck in the dang past. I aint no spring chicken but I love to learn new things and try to stay current with technology of todays firearms. Maybe if some of our "older" members would try that, things wouldnt get so heated!

I tried the heavy rifle approach with my Middle son and it really didnt work out so well for him. But that was in the mountains like you said so I ended up carrying it for him neener!

tyusclan's picture
JTapia wrote:
In Florida it is not legal to take Deer with a center-fire rifle that is smaller than .24 cal, which would make a 223 illegal.

I don't think this is correct. The only prohibition I can find is any rimfire cartridge. Any centerfire cartridge is legal in Florida, and I have a cousin who's killed a truck load of deer over the years with a .223.

Having said that, I personally would go with the .243 as a starter gun for a youngster. I still like the cartridge myself.

tyusclan wrote:
JTapia wrote:
In Florida it is not legal to take Deer with a center-fire rifle that is smaller than .24 cal, which would make a 223 illegal.

I don't think this is correct. The only prohibition I can find is any rimfire cartridge. Any centerfire cartridge is legal in Florida, and I have a cousin who's killed a truck load of deer over the years with a .223.

Having said that, I personally would go with the .243 as a starter gun for a youngster. I still like the cartridge myself.

By golly you are correct. Wonder when that was changed?
My apologies to all for passing out bad information.

Congrats to your cousin however I never said that a .223 wouldn't kill a deer. The .22LR has probably killed more deer than all calibres combined.

tyusclan's picture
JTapia wrote:
By golly you are correct. Wonder when that was changed?
My apologies to all for passing out bad information.

Congrats to your cousin however I never said that a .223 wouldn't kill a deer. The .22LR has probably killed more deer than all calibres combined.

I'm not sure. I know years ago any centerfire was legal, and then I had remembered reading something about a minimum a couple of years ago, but when I looked this year to see what it was it only prohibited rimfires. Who knows?

And too, when he was shooting the .223 he was living in South Florida where the deer are a little smaller. When he moved back up here to the Panhandle, he mostly hunted with a 6mm.

Ok guys, I went with a .243. Found it at good ole Walmart. Its a Remington 770. Came with a decent Bushnell scope all for $299.99. Its a cheap feeling gun with a synthetic stock. It looks pretty good though. The bolt feels like it make break everytime you round a cartridge. I gave it too my daughter the same day I bought it. Got her set up with a sling and a gun bag. She was sooooo excited. We took it out this weekend and got her sighted in. She handles the gun very well and shoots dead on. I was kind of surprised at how well this gun shoots for the price. She has never handled a really fine rifle, so she thinks this one is the best they make. She is going to sit in a stand with me a little this weekend, but she is all fired up for doe week in about 20 days. I will keep you posted on how she does. Thumbs up

Glad she's happy with it Ganny. Just keep a very close eye on that weapon though. Its an updated model of the 710 which had several problems. Hopefully they addressed the problems with this model. Have a look at the magazine latch and see if its still the plastic one. If it is be prepared for it to break. They always do. If it does, they dont have a replacement part. You will have to buy a whole new stock. But hey as long as she's happy and there arent any problems currently, then great news. Hope she smacks a fine deer with it.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like