5 replies [Last post]
.223 for fox

ive been trapping fox for a couple years now and i want to get into hunting them also. i new to the whole rifle deal since where i live you cant use them for deer. i was thinking about getting a .223 for fox and the possible coyote that were starting to get in the area. my only concern with hunting them is pelt damage. what kind of damage will a 223 do to a fox. and if the 223 isnt a good idea what do you guys recommend. most of my shots will be within 200 yards and most of the time closer than that.

.223 for fox

223 will work out good for fox man. exit holes if any will be small with minimum fur damage....i use a 22-250 and it makes a mess on them but i dont hunt for the fur Thumbs up good luck

.223 for fox

thanks for the advice. i was thinking of a 22-250 then somebody told me the same thing that you did. theres a guy that lives near me that uses a 223 but i havent really had a chance to talk with him bout how much damage it does. are there any certain types of bullets you would recommend that will cause less damage than others. sorry for all the question just trying to figure this stuff out so i dont ruin to many pelts trying to figure it out on my own.

.223 for fox

i just use winchester super x cause there cheap but if i were you in the 223 i'd prob go the ballistic tips or something along that line,,,good luck!

.223 for fox

thanks for the advice

.223 for fox

Nothing wrong with the ole .223, just be careful of what type of round you choose for damage. I love a .22 hornet or the new .204. I do alot of calling and predator hunts for clients and I just prefer smaller calibers for less damage and most of our kills are up close, less that 75 yards. Good luck on choosing a gun.