63 replies [Last post]
Don Fischer's picture
223 for deer

Good to hear from Dugaboy1. Been quite a while my friend; how are you doing? You ready to go to Africa again yet?

223 for deer

Nope, dont use it. The .243 would be about the smallest I would go with.

Don Fischer's picture
223 for deer
billcavazos wrote:
Nope, dont use it. The .243 would be about the smallest I would go with.

Welcome to BGH.

I'm a great fan of the 243, for coyote's. Have killed several deer with it but just don't mfee comfortable with it. 25 cal min for me.

223 for deer

I remember that .223s and .22-250s were real popular in Texas and the south. Most of the people I knew that shot that small were generally shooting at a predetermined range with not much brush in the way. Typical setup was a deer blind (many near bench-rest solid) shooting down on a feeder placed about 80 yards with all the brush removed to provide clear shooting lanes. They would usually say that the small rifle damaged less meat. When they would go out in a less 'developed' setting with different shots/angles they would bring .270s and '06s and such. Lots of deer have fallen to the .223 though. Guess my angle to your question is analyze what type of hunting and conditions you will be in and then consider if you feel the .223 is still adequate for the task. It would be a bummer to have to pass up a good animal because your confidence in the equipment wasn't there...being undergunned so to speak.

You said not to mention shot placement, however shot placement needs to be considered, and here is why.

I personally hunt with several different cartridges and rifles. I choose my particular firearm for the type of hunting I am going to do,

For instance 1/2 of my hunting is for a trophy deer only(buck), and the other 1/2 is "fun" hunting for meat.

When I fun hunt I like to limit myself with a particular firearm of choice. I never rush a shot, and I pass on a lot of shots. One of my favorite rifles is a Low Wall 45 Colt that I cast my own bullets for, and limit all shots to about 150 yards, and I only take good quality broad side shots. So for this type of hunting the shot selection is always premium, and I will pass on shots.

My other type of hunting is "Horn Hunting". And when horn hunting a hunter needs to have a firearm that he has supreme confidence in. This includes accuracy, and "killing power". My woods rifle is a 30-06 for shots out to 300 yards. For shots past 300 my go to rifle is a 300WSM.

Now to discusss your question about the 223. Will it wortk?? Yes. However a trophy buck does not always present himself in a perfect profiling manner.

I shoot either a 165 grain or a 200 grain bullet in my 30-06's. I have supreme confidence that whatever shot I need to take at a trophy buck---the cartridge and bullet will not let me down. I have shot several nice bucks that were looking straight at me. I took the briscut shot. And you know what happened with my bullet selection. I can take the front shoulder shot. I even shot down between a nice 9 points horns one time, and hit him right between the front shoulders-in the back. I know what my cartridge will do.

I would hate to have to pass on a trophy buck because I did not have the perfect broadside shot. A "quartering to" shot would be difficult for a 223 to have the proper penetration for a clean kill. But the 30-06 will drop him right there.

I might consider a 223 as a fun gun when fun hunting for meat. However I would never consider one for serious buck hunting when you may only have one opportunity at that trophy, and your only shot selection is "iffy". The 30-06 takes the "iffy" out of the equation. Tom.

223 for deer

Can it kill a deer, yes, should it be used, no. I stand by my good ole' .243 for deer and antelope, just more humane IMO. Allready too many critics out there, why give them "more ammunition" to criticize us further?

Re: 223 for deer

The .223 was specifically designed for the two legged deer. A true sportsman would not hunt four legged deer with a .223. There is to much of a chance for wounded game.

WesternHunter's picture
ikeh wrote:
The .223 was specifically designed for the two legged deer. A true sportsman would not hunt four legged deer with a .223. There is to much of a chance for wounded game.

Do you really think so? If the .223 can put down and kill a 200+lbs two legged deer (i.e. human), what makes you think it can't kill a 150lbs to 250lbs deer? I myself would not make it my first choice for deer, but I'm not going to go so far as to say that it can't kill a deer, it can. You can wound anything with any caliber if you miss the vitals. No caliber, no matter how large will substitute for a missed shot to the vitals.

WesternHunter's picture
Re:
jim muir wrote:
In defense of the .30 carbine, with good soft point ammo its delivering as much energy and speed as a .357 magnum and those kill deer.
The .223 is fine as long as your able to stay within your personal limits, if thats 50 yard broad side shots then don't push it, if its nothing less then a magnum shooting premium bullets do that or if your part of the stick and string crowd smack anybody that even draws back on a running deer.

It doesn't matter what size caliber you use. You always have to stick within your limits as a shooter and do your part to hit the vitals. A miss with a .300 win mag is still a miss.

Using a 22 caliber round on a big game animal is not ethical nor should it be preached. 24 caliber should be the absolute minimum. I don't endorse it at all.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Deer CallsHunter John509/19/2007 12:04 pm
15 DEAD DEER BY UNKNOWN PREDATORSeth2212/20/2012 19:06 pm
O.K. now what????alan511/23/2006 20:30 pm
Shotplacement at elk (red deer)?Kirrmeister503/14/2011 14:50 pm
MASSIVE DEER KILLING BY UNKNOWN PREDATORSeth703/17/2005 17:11 pm