11 replies [Last post]
SoCoKHntr's picture
22-250 bullet selection question

I didn't know if this question should be in reloading or predator because it's a little bit of both, but this is where the bulk of subject is. When I first got my 22-250 and started reloading for it I picked a few different bullets to try out. I settled on the 55 gr Sierra HPBT because it gave me excellent 3 shot half inch consistent groups. Well, I shot a bobcat with that load last season which damn near decapitated him.

I then went back and looked at some old data and targets from when I first started reloading for my 250 and saw that with 50 Sierra Blitz and 34 grains of Varget I was shooting five shot just under an inch groups. That's accuracy I like and can deal with, but I read at that time that the Sierra Blitz (not Blitz King) is a highly frangible bullet intended to blow up P-dog and rockchuck size game. I then surmised it might be too frangible to use on coyotes and ensure clean kills and forgot about it.

Well, in the interim on various forums I've read where a few guys use this on coyotes to deadly effect and with minimal pelt damage. I am thinking this may be a good round for use on coyotes and bobcats in the 250 and just wanted to see if any other guys around these parts have used it on said critters and what feedback they have.

SoCoKHntr's picture

Well hell, I decided not to go with the Blitz's anyway! Laugh Didn't shoot as well this time. Group size was good at 100 but opened up and was terrible at two hundred. I did shoot a 3 inch group at three hundred yards with the 55 gr Sierra HPBT. So, I'll be using that and hopefully won't blow the shit out of any bobcat hides this winter.

It's a bit late now but I have good luck with the 50 gr. V-max over 39.0 grs. of H- 380..One hole in no exit, dead right there.

mite i suggest trying the Nosler/Winchester bullet 55grn combined technologies balistic silvertip, i get excellent results from my HS-Precision 22.250 using 39grn H-380 , half inch groups at 100yrds & very good results on coyotes & minimal hide damage, ive got 70+ coyotes with that setup last fall/winter & what sewing jobs i did last winter was minimal i tried the 60grn partitions for deep penetration, bone breaking qualities with the hopes of minimal pelt damage on coyotes but alas . . . it was not meant to be as my rifle just didnt care for that bullet,

SoCoKHntr's picture
yotieslayer wrote:
mite i suggest trying the Nosler/Winchester bullet 55grn combined technologies balistic silvertip, i get excellent results from my HS-Precision 22.250 using 39grn H-380 , half inch groups at 100yrds & very good results on coyotes & minimal hide damage, ive got 70+ coyotes with that setup last fall/winter & what sewing jobs i did last winter was minimal i tried the 60grn partitions for deep penetration, bone breaking qualities with the hopes of minimal pelt damage on coyotes but alas . . . it was not meant to be as my rifle just didnt care for that bullet,

yotieslayer, thanks for the input and yes, I actually have shot the CT NosWin 55 gr bullet using Varget and grouped 1/2 to 1 inch groups with them and Varget. In fact I still have a quite a few bullets. I'm going to cook up some rounds when I get time. I found out the problem with my 50 gr Blitz and inconstant groups with normally dependable recipes. I had put some high scope bases on my rifle enabling me to use a night light attachment last year which didn't secure the scope very well I found after that last shooting where the blitz groups were wide open at two hundred yards. I took those damn things off and reattached with Luepold mounts that are secure and low and voila I'm getting consistent tight groups again with the blitz and all others. Sounds like the CT's are the ticket for hides and again, will be cooking some of those up.

Thanks! Thumbs up

SoCoKHntr's picture

Not the 22-250 but rather my Rem 700 ADL 30-06 (was on a late season antelope hunt) no speedgoat but did nail this guy at two hundred yards on a slow trot after a busted antelope stalk. I think he spooked em. Federal Power Shok 150 gr ammo 13 and change per box.

PreviewAttachmentSize
Shaun Antelope hunt 09 003.jpg
Shaun Antelope hunt 09 003.jpg421.05 KB
elkkill06's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!

SWEEEEEEET!!!! Thumbs up

SoCoKHntr's picture
elkkill06 wrote:
SWEEEEEEET!!!! Thumbs up

Go figure elkkill, I go yote hunting a few times this year and no yotes but could have dropped antelope at will. I go to fill my antelope tag and no goat but drop a yote. Hahaha!

hawkeye270's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
thats it

SoCoKHntr wrote:

elkkill06 wrote:
SWEEEEEEET!!!! Thumbs up

Go figure elkkill, I go yote hunting a few times this year and no yotes but could have dropped antelope at will. I go to fill my antelope tag and no goat but drop a yote. Hahaha!

That's the way this thing we call hunting works. Keeps it interesting though.

i load 39.2g of h380 and

i load 39.2g of h380 and barnes 55gr bullet.its worked great for yotes cats.you also might try sierra GK.

if you are having trouble

if you are having trouble grouping , you need to find the twist rate on the barrel, faster the twist the light the bullet you need.

A far as groups, if you have a 1" goupe at 100yds, you should be able to produce a 3" group at 300yds. 

I have said this for years but most people don't belive me. you must find the bullet that your barrel likes, I have a remington 700 that will shoot sub 1" with American eagle (I know it cheap ammo) shoots over 2" with remington and hornady ammo. Have been able to get good results with reloads, but took some time.

Good luck

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Boar Hunting (Bullet selection)NewHunter201/07/2005 06:22 am
Sectional DensityCVC311/30/2010 12:38 pm
Bullet selectionwishfish308/26/2006 21:50 pm
Cartridge LengthJJD1302/12/2009 07:50 am
300 SAUM & bullet/ammo selection for elkBlatchley205/01/2010 19:50 pm