11 replies [Last post]
SGM
SGM's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
2015 Colorado Hunting book

2015 Colorado Hunting books are now on line for all to read. Application deadline is 7 April.  Now the fun of the draw is on us and good luck to all. Then the long wait until the results.

elkkill06's picture
Thanks SGM !

SGM,

Thanks for the heads up. I was looking at it earlier today myself. Unit 40 elk here I come....

Quinton

COMeatHunter's picture
Kind of a ritual waiting for

Kind of a ritual waiting for the regs to show up and then going over all of the possibilities...oh, the possibilities.  If only I could just hunt all fall, start with bear and continue all the way through late season elk.  Someday.....

SGM
SGM's picture
It is fun to put in those

It is fun to put in those "Maybe" tags and see what happens. My big Maybe tag is moose again this year. Some day I may draw it and then wonder what I am going to do! Good luck to all and I am sure we will hear who pulls what tags in a few months.

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
After putting in for the

After putting in for the Colorado draws this year I know just what I am going to draw.  I also put in for Utah for all that I could afford.  Then after doing this I actually looked at the hunting dates so I know that my odds of drawing a Utah pronghorn tag went up quite a bit. 

I put in for Coloardo muzzle loader deer and elk which I will draw.  The hunt dates are the same as Utah's rifle pronghorn hunt.  Knowing how my luck usually is I will draw all three tags and then have to decide on which ones to give up. 

Decisions, decisions. 

KYHilljack's picture
I'm in

Decided to try 4th rifle season in Colorado GMU 54. Always have hunted the 3rd. Hoping for snow, cold and early migration. Last year was more like late May out there. I'll miss the first 4 days of deer season here though. As with you Critter, with my luck of changing strategy, will probably spend most of my time wondering how to get in and out of the state due to the amount of snow.

WishIWasHunting's picture
It is that time of year

I always look forward to getting the Colorado book every year.  It is like national signing day for college football or the scouting combine for the NFL for getting excited about what comes next.  

This year, I have more uncertainty than usual over which licenses/seasons I will be hunting.  Not sure if my boss will let me take time off for 1st rifle elk season.  Also, might try something different for deer this year.  Anyway, makes it fun thinking about the possibilities...

jaybe's picture
It's interesting to a

It's interesting to a Midwesterner to see and hear about all these different seasons that are part of your annual big game hunting experience.

For those of you who may not know, in Michigan, you can buy a deer firearm or archery license (actually, you can buy both). Then you can hunt in whichever season is open at the time. Generally speaking, archery is open from Oct 1 thru Nov 14. Firearm is open from Nov. 15 thru 30. Then archery is again open from Dec. thru Jan 1.

There is a drawing for elk (statewide) and also for anterless deer (in some areas). Bear permits vary by areas and do have different dates, ranging from Sept 10-Oct 26.

There is also an early deer season for Youth and also early and late for Private Land anterless deer.

Now that I start listing them, maybe it's not as simple as I thought. But on the whole, I think the suspense is much less than out west because many of these licenses you can simply buy over the counter.

Anyway - good luck to you all. I will be getting into the Non-Resident Deer drawing in WY again this year. Have until Mar 15 to get it in. I expect to draw, since my buddy has been doing it since 1994 and has never failed to draw. You never know, though. Last winter was rough, and the number of licenses allocated may reflect that.

SGM
SGM's picture
Yep each state is different

Yep each state is different for sure. When I went to Mississippi all you do is buy a license over the counter which is good for 3 bucks and 5 does. No tags to put on the critters like it is out west either. Good luck in WYoming.

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Just thinking about the days

Just thinking about the days when I started hunting big game in Utah.  A hunting combination license (deer, small game, birds, and fishing) was only $12.00.  If you wanted to archery hunt it was another couple of bucks for a archery permit.  No draws for deer and there were areas that you could shoot up to 5 deer on one license.  Then there was the late seasons that ran all the way until New Years. 

Elk on the other hand were hard to come by.  Total draw for a elk tag in the few units that held them.  Also once you drew a elk tag you had to wait 5 years before you could apply for your next one. 

Other draw animals were bison, desert bighorns, and rocky mountain sheep.  Once the draws were done the successful applicant list was pasted on the DOW's window and everyone and I mean everyone went down to the office that night to see who had drawn a tag, and everyone knew if you drew one or not.

I kind of miss those old times. 

jaybe's picture
WoW! Everybody went down to

WoW! Everybody went down to look at the list!

Critter - - did they have cars way back then??   Unsure