28 replies [Last post]
Retired2hunt's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
2014 Colorado Draw Tags Paid For

Ok, I'm all set for the 2014 draw.  Preference point for Moose.  Preference point for Deer with 2nd and 3rd choices in GMU045 - muzzleloader season.  Preference point for Elk with 2nd and 3rd choices in GMU045 - muzzleloader season.  Trying something different this year and dusting off my Thompson .54 cal Renegade.  Much needed practice with the muzzleloader but I have plenty of time.  Hunted this unit 4th season last year.  I saw plenty of deer but no deer tag.  Did not see elk but got into plenty of fresh sign.  I feel good about this year's hunts!

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
You have to love the

You have to love the application season, it is almost as much fun as the hunts themselves.

Depending on how many states you put in for your season can start in January and run through June.

I like your choice of muzzle loader, I have been shooting a .54 T/C Renegade for close to 30 years now.  How time flies.

Retired2hunt's picture
Really Enjoy Application Season

Agree with you on loving the application season.  I enjoy the mapping out of the hunts.  The great thing is dreaming of the hunt now until the day prior.  Well... if this works I might just be shooting this .54 from now on!

I put in for a cow elk in

I put in for a cow elk in Sept muzzy season.

Muley buck in 2nd rifle season in Oct. With a backup 2nd pick for a doe.

Two whitetail tags for either sex in Nov and Dec. Brrrrr

All will be hunted with the Renegade, PRB, Olde Eynsford powder, and iron sights at 50yd, or less.

Retired2hunt's picture
I suspect I will get my 3rd

I suspect I will get my 3rd choice - cow elk muzzleloader season... a C tag so that means I will be able to pick up an OTC tag and get out again in October.  Muley in same muzzleloader week.  I'll do my whitetail hunting in SE Ohio along with Fall turkey.  I'm still working on the powder/bullet... but can certainly agree on the 50 yards or less!

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
The best and most accurate

The best and most accurate load for my Renegade is a TC maxi ball over 90 grains of Pyrodex. It is deadly out to 150 yards. I have taken 3 elk with it and a number of deer.

Retired2hunt's picture
Thanks!

Thanks Critter for sharing.  I was looking at the TC Maxi Ball or the Ultimate 1 semi spitzer solid.  I plan on doing some shooting in the next several weeks.  I'll try your combination.  Thanks again!

BoneCollector's picture
where...

Macedonia..is that near Akron?

Retired2hunt's picture
Yes

Yes it is about 15 min north of Akron.  I spend half the year here and the other half in Colorado.  I hunt my Ohio whitetail in Cadiz, Ohio - Harrison county.

BoneCollector's picture
WOW

I lived outside Cadiz for 5 years and have lived in the general area all my life. I bet we know some of the same people. smile

Retired2hunt's picture
The couple I know that have

The couple I know that have property against ours are Stan Bittenger and Jeff Knight.