8 replies [Last post]
possum's picture
2013 White Tail

I broke down and bought a WT deer tag today against my better judgment . After our last winter I really think it was a waste of money as I haven't seen a deer within 10 miles of home.
I have seen numerous moose, elk and mule deer but our WT in my area really took a beating over winter.
I will be heading out to see if I can find something bigger than last year but will likely end up with tag soup. BUT on the bright side I can carry a rifle in season and shoot coyotes as we have LOTS of them around which is another problem for the deer herd.
Hopefully I can post a pic or two from our hunting expedition this year. We have no snow this year yet, unlike last year when I was moose hunting here at home

HERE GOES NOTHING...... Will Update with pics if we harvest anything...LOL

groovy mike's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
good luck

good luck! I HATE tag soup! lol

possum's picture
Nov 1

Went out Nov 1 opening day. Seen a doe and fawn that evening, in an area that has held big numbers of deer in the past.
Our winter really took its toll on the deer last winter. It is not looking good.
Also seen 2 coyotes only 1 left from them, the other ducked into the bush at the river.

possum's picture
Nov 3

Went out this morning in the rain and sleet. Saw one small buck.
Snowing hard here now, there is snowfall warnings out now. I see they are calling for up to 8 inches this afternoon.
With deer numbers in my area at a very low level if this winter is as bad as last winter we will have some very serious population problems and management decisions to make for 2014

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Go get'um Possum!

Go get'um Possum!

possum's picture
NOV 5

Was out this morning and seen ZERO deer in the usual Hot Spots. BUT I seen 15 coyotes, only 12 left now. So I likely won't be getting a good buck this year as I am turning my attention to try and help the deer instead of harvesting one.

We had over an inch of rain before the snow hit so everything has a layer of ice on it now. DEER will have trouble getting feed and we still have over 4 months of winter to go through

possum's picture
Tag Soup

Well the season is over for this year and as i had suspected our deer numbers in my area really took a pounding last winter. Not to mention they are getting another pounding here this winter. We had over an inch of rain and then we got snow followed by more snow then warmer than usual temps and then rain and MORE SNOW. GEEZ

I managed to see only 27 white tails all season in a 50 mile square area around home. Only managed to see 3 bucks and only 1 of them was a shooter so i chose to leave him walk and hopefully breed some does because he will likely not survive till spring.

So it is tag soup this year, but the coyotes are really on the up swing so i have been shooting them every chance i get in hopes to save a fawn or two come spring. We also have had a lot more wolf activity in my area lately but never get to see them much until after dark on the backroads.

Unless we get some sound management strategies put in place here in Sask our world renowned deer hunting is heading to pot very fast. We have some areas that were'nt hit as hard but it will take time to rebuild the mature buck population that we once had

charlie6395's picture
helping you deer

Possum sounds like you are very aware of whats going on with your deer herd you have in your area and you are doing your part to help them out. Hopefully you will get some help with your coyote problem man sure wish I where there to help crack some yot heads.

possum's picture
Things are not good at all

Things are not good at all for the animals in my area this year for sure. We just spent the last 2 weeks at -40 to -50c with the windchill and now it has warmed up to plus temperatures in the daytime and windy which has created a deep layer of melted snow and ice which has covered most food sources; other than a grain bin with a leak in it or a grain pile. I cannot find where the local deer are feeding so i am guessing they migrated somewhere or have perished. At any rate it's not good

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Eastern Colorado Deercomulies09101/19/2010 20:22 pm
NH white tail huntingScotty E210/16/2005 06:51 am
My Friends DeerBull Buster1112/29/2010 19:39 pm
Albino white tail doeratrivertrapper510/27/2007 22:23 pm
ND white tail hunts?yooper505/19/2006 17:33 pm