23 replies [Last post]
elkkill06's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
2013 Colorado Muley hunt

Well we had another wonderful muley hunt. It started opening morning when I got my niece on a beautiful buck. She was able to get the job done after a not so good shot and some long tracking, but I guess that makes for a longer hunting story. It was an emotional rollercoaster for her with tears of pain and then joy. The buck is her biggest to date and will be a tough one to beat.

Then second afternoon had us hunting in the nieghboring unit, due to my son and nephew having tags there. My nephew ended up taking a nice 2x2 (he was not picky due to only having two days to hunt).

My wife also had a tag and passed up many bucks throughout the week. She was tempted on Wednesday by a great 3x3, but did not pull the trigger. When Friday morning came I found another great buck and we made our move. She made a great shot on him and he dropped in his tracks.

Then finally was my son. He only had four and a half days to hunt and was not seeing the bucks like we were in the other unit. He ended up taking a fine little 2x2 on the last morning of the hunt.

What another great year hunting with the wife and kids. I do it all over again come Saturday with my oldest son and brother.

Quinton

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Looks like another great year

Looks like another great year for you and your family.  It looks like your niece got hers down in a river bottom. 

Congradulations to all the hunters.

970TBONE's picture
I look forward to seeing your

I look forward to seeing your deer hunt pix every year and once again you got the job done. Nice work and nice bucks.. Can't wait to see what 3rd season will bring.

BleuBijou's picture
Well Done

Hope you have enough freezer's!! You guy's are doing well... I made a bad shot on a buck last week and we never did catch up to him. Totally my fault as I pulled the shot. We did manage 3 cows and a small 5x5 bull. Glad to see that she caught up to her buck and congrats to the whole family for a great year.

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Awesome as usual Quinton! 

Awesome as usual Quinton!  Always great to see the entire family involved!  Also, out of curiosity, were you hinting along some water in a couple of those photos, or somewhere that there is some flash flooding?  Looks like lots of sand, and some water type plants (Tulies).

BTW, if I do make it out there, I will also "settle" for a 2x2..... Wink

elkkill06's picture
Hunting near water

Sean,

Thanks for the great comment ! There is a river that seperates the two units and there has been lots of flash flooding in the last three years there.

You can take a 2x2 only if he is 30" wide !! Laugh

Quinton

Ca_Vermonster's picture
So you're saying I'll do

So you're saying I'll do better????? Wink

A 30" forkie would be a sight to see though, wouldn't it???

Heading out Wednesday afternoon for an evening hunt, and bringing my 7 year old with me.  Hoping to see something, but just getting out will be fun.

Retired2hunt's picture
Indeed - another fine year of

Indeed - another fine year of success for you and your family - congrats and good luck with your oldest son and brother!

SGM
SGM's picture
Wow the ladies scored on some

Wow the ladies scored on some really nice bucks for sure. Guys did well too filling the freezer so no doubt a great hunt. Congratulations to all the hunters on a job well done.

Aaron77's picture
Great deer

That one your niece got is just such a mature looking buck, antlers, face, body, really cool. Congrats on all the rest too

Striker's picture
Nice!

Nice job to all of you. That's one hell of a hunting family. Hope all my kids grow up to be hunters. What's your secret? I'm sure your one proud daddy.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
first archery elk hunt in coloradowhitetailfreak1104/09/2011 22:47 pm
Remount and son's Christmas presentelkkill06403/11/2014 15:55 pm
Eastern Colorado Deercomulies09101/19/2010 20:22 pm
a little help on a muley DIYmnhuntr103/11/2012 14:42 pm
first muley in coloradobuckfinatic503/23/2008 15:05 pm