6 replies [Last post]
tuckster's picture
2012 Rut report

Anyone been out in the field archery hunting or scouting and seen/heard any rut activity? Just curious to see how the hot weather and drought will affect the rut this year. Good luck to all!

exbiologist's picture
Been quiet

Quiet so far from what I can tell. Have high hopes for the end  next week when I get out during a cold snap

jcaldera's picture
i just returned from ML

i just returned from ML loader season. Theyre starting to get into the rut more and more we packed out this morning and i think the cold weather tonight should push them into it. we only heard a hand full of bulls bugl while we were up there, one of which we brought home ;).

exbiologist's picture
Nice

Looks like I may be timing this perfectly then, I'm heading up tonight

SoCoKHntr's picture
Yes

Indeed their turning on! One of my work buds said they started turning on last Saturday in our neck of Southern Co. With this cold snap it should be getting prime time. Also its going to be a dark moon phase starting around tomorrow. Should be real good. Just gotta stick to the plan, go in dark (early) go in deep, and locate some elk. My tag is good for either sex and no point restriction on bulls so the first wapiti that gives me the broadside boiler room access is getting an arrow if'n I can help it. Not being choosy no sir.

Congrats jcaldera and good luck exbio and anyone else heading out!

Dark moon phase should be in

Dark moon phase should be in good weather too. Lots of rain right now. I wish i was hunting this week, but it's not to be. Hopefully no blizzards until after 2nd rifle season.

exbiologist's picture
They were bugling

They were bugling until mid morning on Thursday, then just one or two at dawn on Friday, then nothing this morning.  Things were pretty exciting for a bit on Thursday, probably should have been a little more aggressive, but still got within 100 yards of the cows, couldn't see that particular bull though.

Did see one big bull chase some cows across an avalanche chute about 1000 yards from the elk I was working.  

Maybe next week I'll catch up.