18 replies [Last post]
BikerRN's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
2012 Outlook

Here's the way things are shaping up for me this year:

Elk: Preference Point Purchase

Antelope: Wyoming

Deer: Kaibab as a first choice and will hunt Coues on the border. I want the preference point.

Hog: Trying to squeeze in a couple of days in Texas.

So far that's how it's shaping up. I hope Sean can get away for two or three days so we can hunt on the border for the "Grey Ghost". Wyoming with Wade is a done deal and I'm really looking forward to it. I am thankful for all his help and the opportunity to hunt with him.

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Hey Vince, which Coues hunt

Hey Vince, which Coues hunt are you planning on?  What are the dates?

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Hey Vince, which Coues hunt

BikerRN's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Dunno

Ca_Vermonster wrote:

Sean,

Don't know yet, as the booklets aren't out yet and I'll be in WY for two weeks in October. I'll keep you posted but I'm seriously considering a November Coues hunt as a second choice. The first choice, which I won't get, is a Kaibab Mule Deet hunt. That way I can get a preference point for later. If worse comes to worse I'll just buy a leftover tag and go get it done.

I'll keep you posted on the dates and as soon as I know you'll know.

JSmitty's picture
Yea NM had all the changes

Yea NM had all the changes but realy it is no different than it has been the last few years if you applied on line.

I did my apps about 3 weeks ago and put in for deer in unit 31 all three choices, elk ml unit 34, ml 36, r 34, antilope unit 31, barbary sheep unit 30. Maby somthing good will hapen.

I applied last night. Elk and

I applied last night. Elk and deer in local units. Very easy online,I've been doing it for the last few years. I don't like not being able to change choices without canceling and reapplying tho. So I'll go with what I have. Odds should be higher this year with the NR changes too.

cantgetdrawn's picture
I applied a few weeks ago.

I put in for Archery deer in units 36, 37 & 38 in that order.

Elk in unit 36, rifle, muzzle, 2nd archery season, in that order. 

Thanks to JSmitty's post and some on other forums I decided to put in for Ibex

Rifle, Muzzle, 1st archery season, in that order. 

JSmitty, something you might consider for the future.  In the past, rifle in Unit 34 had lower odds of drawing than muzzleloader in both 34 & 36.  So the quota for rifle will almost certainly be reached before muzzleloader.  If you make the hunt with the lowest odds your first choice there is a better chance that if you can still draw your 2nd choice.  The same logic applies between the 2nd and 3rd choice. 

My guess is you just prefer Muzzle, and put in your 3rd choice for rifle for the "heck of it."  So this post is more for those who don't quite understand how the draw works in NM. 

Good luck on the draw guys!

JSmitty's picture
Yea I just didn't won't to

Yea I just didn't won't to leave an open spot on my elk tag. I may change it to ml in 37 but because of the low # of tags it will have about the same odds at drawing it as the rifle in 34. 

2 years ago I put unit 17 and drew it but it's just a long way to go with the horses, but I will do it again if I drew that tag.

But it is good that you explained what I did though.

Thanks James

Related Forum Threads You Might Like