5 replies [Last post]
WishIWasHunting's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
2012 CO Archery Deer Opening Day

So, I did make it out this past weekend for opening day 2012 CO Archery Deer (and Elk, but I only have a deer tag for this season).  Watching that sunrise was great, so I thought I would share a picture.  

I sat along a ridge above a creek glassing while the sun came up.  By ~7:30am, I had not seen anything, and I decided to hike down to the creek to see if I could find any fresh tracks.  Along the creek, I did find some mountain lion tracks, but no deer tracks.  I hiked around for the rest of the day, and all I managed to find were recreationalists out and about, as well as one guy practicing with his blackpowder gun.  I did not get to hunt into the evening due to prior commitments.

When I scouted this spot about a month ago, there were deer tracks all over the place.  On Saturday, I didn't find a single fresh deer track anywhere.  I know that with as dry as it is, it is difficult to find tracks, but I still think I should have come across some tracks.  Between the mountain lion, increased recreationalists, blackpowder shooter, and dry conditions, it does make sense that the deer found somewhere else to be on opening day.  However, it was still a little disappointing.  On the bright side, it was a day hunting, and I should be able to make it out there a couple more times in the next month.  

PreviewAttachmentSize
P8250005.jpg
P8250005.jpg930.73 KB
Made it out again this past

Made it out again this past weekend.  I was actually excited to hear at least 2 different hunters taking shots with their muzzleloaders.  I don't know if they got anything, but I took it as a sign that I was almost in the right area if other hunters at least saw some deer.  

Later in the day, I did manage to spook up 3 does, but, unfortunately, they knew I was there before I saw them.  Should be able to make it out again sometime before the end of the season.  Keeping my fingers crossed for better luck next time!

Retired2hunt's picture
Beautiful sunrise there.

Beautiful sunrise there. They are extra special when you are out hunting. Good Luck on your hunts this year. Thumbs up

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Stick with it! Hopefully

Stick with it! Hopefully we'll see a success report here sometime soon....... Yes

No success to report back.  I

No success to report back.  I made it out last weekend for the final weekend of archery deer season here in CO and came home empty-handed.  I did stumble into a decent two-point buck within archery range, but, unfortunately, I couldn't move for a shot.  I also saw two does, but that was after I let an arrow go at a nice 4 point.  I hit the buck further back than I intended, and a quarter of a mile along the blood trail and eight hours later and no dead deer.  That was the first time that I released an arrow at a big game animal, the first time that I ever had to follow a blood trail, and the first time that I ever lost an animal.  The first two "firsts" were exhilarating!  That last "first" was heartbreaking!

Overall, it was a good season.  It is impossible to be any closer to success and still come home empty-handed.  I learned more about my hunting unit, and I feel like I am getting better at finding where the deer are at.  I also saw a bull moose at about 50 yards, but I couldn't get a picture because it was too dark.  I tried both still hunting and ambush hunting, which were new techniques to me.  Ambush hunting is how I got the shot on the buck and had shot opportunities on the does.  I need to get more comfortable hunting in dark timber, and I think this season helped me make significant progress.  

After the experience I had this season, it will be especially difficult waiting for next deer season.  Luckily, I have my rifle elk hunt in about 3 weeks yet this year.  Then it will be application season, spring turkey season, scouting season, and then another shot at redemption!

PreviewAttachmentSize
P9230042.jpg
P9230042.jpg3.24 MB
P9230044.jpg
P9230044.jpg3.28 MB
Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Sorry you didn't get one. 

Sorry you didn't get one.  Still a good time out there.  Good luck with the rifle elk.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Opening Day Archery CORemington7421108/27/2013 12:55 pm
Illinois trophy deer hunts.trophyhunter1008/12/2012 11:08 am
Archery Deer Contest!!!!!ManOfTheFall508/04/2011 10:44 am
Archery Deer Contest!!!!!ManOfTheFall108/04/2011 10:46 am
First Archery Muleyrather_be_huntin809/28/2005 08:36 am