10 replies [Last post]
bigrhunting's picture
2012 Antelope in Wyo.

I'm trying to put together a antelope hunt for 2012 for my son and I. We diffenently  want to go but are having a question on where to go as far as hunt areas are concerned. We would like plenty of land to hunt but have no points for the big draw hunt areas. Wherever we go we would like a fairly close by a motel to stay in. Should I put in for the draw or buy left-over tags? I was thinking of hunt areas 29 and 30. Do any of you hunters know anything about these areas or any where else we could go thats an easy draw or left-over tags available or maybe doe and fawn tags for our hunt? I would like a really good hunt for my son mainly as he has never been on big game hunt and would really like for him to put a couple in the cooler. I would really be grateful for any info someone has so we can have an enjoyable hunt for a few days. We are going to drive from Indiana so its gonna be a long drive that hopefully will pay off with some meat and as a bonus, maybe  some horns. Many, many thanks in advance for any info anyone has!

BikerRN's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
I'll be going to WY for the

I'll be going to WY for the first time, hunting, and have no clue where to go.

I'm leaving all those decisions up to a friend of mine that does this every year. I want one buck and I'd like three or four does to supplement the freezer. I'm sure someone will be along in a little while that will have a better idea about hunting in WY.

Good luck to you, and your son, and welcome to the forum.

I guess welcome isn't the proper word to use, seeing as how you joined long before I did. Anyway, Howdy!

Biker

bigrhunting's picture
2012 Antelope

Thanks biker,

Hope you guys have a great hunt. I still waiting for a little direction.

bigr

COMeatHunter's picture
Both units 29 and 30 have

Both units 29 and 30 have lots of antelope.  I've never hunted either unit but I've driven through that area many times and have seen antelope everywhere.  Pretty much all of the areas around Casper have lots of antelope.  Can't give you a private land versus public land breakdown.

The draw data from last year shows great odds of pulling an "Any Antelope" tag with zero points for either unit.  Unit 30 had over 200 leftovers for Any Antelope tags.  As far as doe/fawn tags, both units also had lots of tags and leftovers, you shouldn't have any trouble getting as many tags as you want.  You can get 2 Any Antelope tags for each hunter and an additional 4 doe/fawn tags for each hunter.  That's 6 tags each if you really want to go for it and take home a truckload of meat.  

Coming from Indiana, I'd probably put in for a tag or 2 for each hunter just to be sure you have a hunt you can plan on.  Then after the draw and you know what tags you have already, look at the leftovers to add more tags.  By applying for tags in the draw, they will cost you $14 more for each tag; that's the application fee for the draw.  The fee can add up, but it's worth it to me to be sure we have at least one tag per hunter so we can make our plans early knowing we will be going hunting.  Leftovers for both 29 and 30 should be easy to get, but I'd still put in for at least 1 tag in the draw.

Another thing to look up is the Hunter Management Areas (HMAs) and Hunter Assistance Programs in the Douglas area.  HMAs can provide good access to private land, but you'd need to know the details for each individual HMA and understand how to get a permit for each.  The Hunter Assistance Program is designed to put private landowners and public hunters in contact to help reduce the number of animals (and crop damage) in private property.  Sometimes there is a small fee associated with access, but usually the doe/fawn access is free.

Wyoming is a great youth hunt.  Good luck and have a great time.

bigrhunting's picture
COMeathunter,     Thanks alot

COMeathunter,

Thanks alot Meathunter, that really helps a bunch. I think I'll take your suggestions and put in for the 2 areas you mentioned and 1 other as 3rd choice. Probably plenty of places to stay around Douglas too. Thanks again. BigR

COMeatHunter's picture
Never stayed overnight in

Never stayed overnight in Douglas but there should be plenty of good motels, etc. available there.  I would recommend making reservations as early as possible (most of the time your despoit is refundable too, if your plans end up changing).  Casper motels fill up pretty quick for fall hunting leaving only the expensive and trashy motels for those who wait too long.  If Douglas if like Casper, you'll want to start making reservations plenty early.

bigrhunting's picture
2012 Antelope

COMeatHunter,

Thanks, you've been a great help. I have one more question as of now. Is there enough BLM land in these 2 areas to just hunt BLM ground? My map isn't real clear on this. Once I got the areas for sure, i'm going to get BLM maps of the areas we draw or do you suggest that I get some maps now before I put in for the draw? The map I have now is a Delorme Atlas and Gazetteer, it shows detailed topo maps.

I appreciate you talking to me about this. It's all very complicated or else I'm just not getting it. Probable the latter.

COMeatHunter's picture
I agree, finding a new place

I agree, finding a new place to hunt (especially out of state) is complicated.  From the different regs, to the limited draws, to the seemingly thousands of game management units....it's a lot to figure out.

I can't help you much on the public versus private land in either unit.  There used to be a fantastic website that mapped each GMU, gave statistics like numbers of licenses and harvest success, and public properties.  Unfortunately, it's lost funding and is now unavailable.  Below is a link to the BLM maps website where you can purchase the surface use maps directly for about $8 each.  Paper maps aren't quite as convenient as websites, but at least you can't "lose funding" for a paper map after you buy it.

http://plicmapcenter.org/view.php?st=WY&ag=BLM&typ=Antelope

I would recommend buying maps before you put in for the draw and make sure you have a good idea of how much land will be available at a minimum.  The HMAs and Hunter Assistance Program will likely add to the accessible land totals too.  If I was going to drive the better part of 1000 miles to hunt, I'd purchase my maps in the planning stages to make sure I wasn't disappointed with the hunt after I got there because I couldn't find any public property to hunt.

Also, call the Casper Regional Office.  I've called them several times before with questions about hunting access.  They've always been very helpful and given me good info or advice.

Casper Regional Office
3030 Energy Lane, Suite 100
Casper, Wyoming 82604
(307) 473-3400

bigrhunting's picture
2012 Antelope

Thanks COMeatHunter, You are a great help! I think we're finally starting to get this hunt put together, thanks to you. I'll be sure and let you know how we do in 2012. If I think of anything else I get in touch. Best wishes to you and GOOD HUNTING. Talk later.

white duck's picture
Antelope

Get your blm maps now there cheap 

you might look at units 27

you might look at units 27 and 29. I have hunted them several times with great luck. Lots of public land in the Thunder Basin National Grasslands. 29 is an easy draw and 27 is'nt too diffacult and is almost all public.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like