3 replies [Last post]
MNHunter68's picture
2012 3rd rifle season Colorado Elk GMU 70

I am heading back to colorado elk hunting this year for 3rd season rifle. It's been 15yrs since the last time I hunted in colorado. Now my son is 16yrs old and I want to take him on an elk hunt with me and my brother. We are looking into GMU 70. We tossed around the thought of other GMU areas like 12,13, 23,and 24. But are leaning more towards GMU 70 based on the 3rd season harvest numbers for the last few yrs. - Would like some opinions if we are looking at the right area for a good 3rd season hunt. We will be spending a pretty penny on 3 out of state tags, so we are are trying to dial in our best area to hunt to try and tilt the odds to put an elk in the freezer.

Chuck

exbiologist's picture
Good choice

That's a good choice for a 3rd season hunt.  Lots of high, low and medium elevation public for just about any weather situation, plus good visibility in much of that terrain.  Rough country is there if you want it, but also some gentle stuff if that's all you're looking  for

MNHunter68's picture
Horse Rentals

Thanks exbiologist I was looking forward to your thoughts on a 3rd season hunt in GMU70.

Next questions... Any reccomendations on where to rent some horses?

exbiologist's picture
Montrose

Heard there was an outfit in Montrose that does rentals.  I don't think Sombrero operates there, but if you have a horse trailer, you can pick up in Longmont, which is what I've done once.

Would be careful when planning a backcountry hunt in 3rd season though.  Might have issues dragging a trailer to where you intend to hunt and then have all the elk way below your spot if we get some snow.  You'll be happy you have them if it's dry though.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like