52 replies [Last post]
sdwolfden's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
IMHO

IMHO, I think the contest will be fun, but as I have been in another contest a few years ago, there are concerns I have.  1).Who is to know if the buck someone posts is their 1st buck and not another bigger buck than the one they shot first?  2). Who is to score the antlers?  I have never scored any antlers and I have never seen it done so I don't know how.  3). Can we have more than 1 contest running?  One for archery buck, one for archery doe, one for rifle buck, one for rifle doe, one for muzzleloader buck and one for muzzleloader doe, one for pronghorn buck, one for pronghorn doe, one for bull elk and one for cow elk.  We could do this by all hunters posting their animals(1 per person per category), bulls and bucks get scored by rack size, does get scored by body size, and/or weight.  This could get more people involved as with the draw system some states have, you do not always get the tags for a buck. 

Also, you can only register an animal if it is within the parameters of your hunting season, say rifle season has ended and you get an archery buck, then you can register it in the archery category unless you have already registered one.  So everyone that wants to enter needs to post the dates of their seasons so that everything is aboveboard.  Also there should be no special treatment of the moderators or pro staff of the website, unless they have their own competition between themselves.  Everything has to be fair, I saw too many "exceptions"  to the rules given to the pro staff and moderators, and heard too many "regular" people complaining about being treated unfairly since they were not pro staff or moderators.  There were too many hurt feelings too with the regular people doing their best  following the rules and the moderators and pro staff cheating.  I don't think that that will happen, but these contests are on the "Honor System"  and Honor is a personal thing, some may try to cheat, as to them winning is everything, but most of the people will compete fairly.  These are just my concerns and since I have sen it before, thought I would voice my concerns now before anything starts.

Deer Slayer's picture
First of all this is a

First of all this is a contest for fun. There is no prize money and it's just a bunch of us guys (and gals) that struggle to make a living in today's crazy economy. It's just an outlet for us to share our stories of successes and failures and we can all laugh and cry together. I for one would no way want to try and include elk, moose, pronghorn, doe of every species, rifle, muzzle loader. That would be insane to try and run that contest. We will keep this as simple as possible, have fun, and be honest about what we do.

WishIWasHunting's picture
Keep it Simple

Since it sounds like this is opened up to mule deer hunters, I can participate this year.  It will be my first time trying to get a deer with a bow, but I would still like to throw my name in. 

Teams are fine, but if it is any easier, we could also just leave it individuals. 

I like the idea of gross scores instead of net.  Green score it and call it good. 

Obviously, this is on the honor system, and it is just for our entertainment anyway, right?

At the end of the day, I think the less complicated it is the better. 

Deer Slayer's picture
This is a simple contest run

This is a simple contest run on the honor system. We are just a small group and we are going to keep the rules as simple as possible. I would not be against an individual contest but in a vote I will vote for the team thing. I like the team thing because it helps us to get to know each other better.

sdwolfden's picture
contest

The honor system is great.  Like I said, the contest that I participated in a few years ago was screwed up and some people didn't follow the rules(there were no prizes then either).  Also all whitetail and mule deer were considered and rifle and archery were allowed in the same contest.  Some of the people in the south were way ahead of some of us northern hunters since the southern states typically let hunters take more animals.  An archery buck hunt sounds like fun, but it will be my first year bowhunting and I still am in the process of getting my bow set up to where I can shoot more than 10 yards.  I also need much more practice.  For our archery season. that will run from September 24, 2011 to January 15,2012, I can get 1 buck tag for it and up to 4 doe tags.

Put my name in for the contest and if we have teams or compete individually let me know as it really doesn't matter to me.  I can hunt solo but I also love to be part of a team.

ManOfTheFall's picture
We've been getting some

We've been getting some pretty good idea's so far. I like teams, gross green score, archery equipment only, 1 buck only, first buck you shoot (for those states that can get more than one buck or for those who hunt in more than one state). One last rule that I think should be in there is it must be fair chase. No fences, non guided hunts. Anymore idea's?

Bugs Bunny's picture
?

How do you get your buck scored or do you do it yourself?

ManOfTheFall's picture
I score my own. You can have

I score my own. You can have someone score it for you as well. There are web sites that explain the scoring quite nicely though and makes it relatively easy.

ManOfTheFall's picture
Here is a question for you

Here is a question for you all? Should we put a deadline date to signup for the contest? Or should we allow anyone to enter at anytime? I am all for a deadline. I think it should be 1 week before the earliest season starts. That way we can draw teams and everyone can pick a team and get to know each other a little better. Let's hear opinion's of others. 

Bugs Bunny's picture
I think we should have a

I think we should have a deadline but if the teams are uneven let people join to make them even after the deadline.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like