52 replies [Last post]
ManOfTheFall's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
2011/2012 Archery Whitetail Buck Contest

Let's get this thing rolling early. Everyone can put in their two cents worth then we can all take a vote and make the rules. Let's make this much bigger and better than this past year's season. I will start off with a couple idea's. First and foremost this contest is about bone on the head, it should be buck only. I think the contest should start as soon as the earliest state's entrant and end the last day of the latest state's entrant. Those are just a couple, everyone is welcome to add to this.

numbnutz's picture
Put my name on the list for

Put my name on the list for the contest again this year. I like the buck only idea, and i think it should be the first buck for those that hunt multiple states or can harvest more than one buck in a season. Lets make this work this year.

ManOfTheFall's picture
Yes, I agree with that as

Yes, I agree with that as well. Buck only and the first buck you shoot is the one that counts.

hunter25's picture
I'm just sort of sticking my

I'm just sort of sticking my nose in here as I don't hunt archery at this time and don't know how you had your contest set up last year. I think the guidelines you have set so far sound good. Is there any way to not exclude some of the guys that don't really have an opportunity for whitetail as the live in only muley range? I know there are a few here and I know the difference can be huge between the animals but you might get more participants if there was a way to work them in.

Just my .02 cents

Good luck to all no matter how the ground rules get set though.

ManOfTheFall's picture
That would be a possibility.

That would be a possibility. There is a table that allows you to convert a muley's score to equal the score of a whitetail. The formula is Muley's score x .862 = whitetail score. For example if you have a muley buck and a whitetail and if the muley scored 145" and the whitetail scored 125" they would actuall both be 125". Here is the math. 145 x .862 = 124.99. So the math isn't exact, but it's as close as it gets. So, yes, the possibility is there, we could include muley bucks. There are also conversions for blacktails as well. Like I said we can throw out idea's and then vote on them and try and make this contest what we want it to be. Keep the idea's coming.

numbnutz's picture
I think like last year we

I think like last year we need to include mulie's and blacktail, as where I'm from we dont have many whitetails. mostly blacktails and mule deer.

ManOfTheFall's picture
Like I said we will take all

Like I said we will take all the idea's then put them up to a vote. The only one I think that is not debatable is the contest is about bone on the head. We do not include doe's. I encourage everyone to shoot doe's, but they won't count in the contest. Here is the blacktail equation to whitetail. Whitetail 125 Columbia blacktail 90, so what you do is take 90 and multiply by 1.389 and you get 125.01. sitka black you multiply by 1.667. so if you have a sitka blacktail that scores 75 multiply it by 1.667 and it equals 125.025. Once again the math isn't perfect but we aren't running a perfect contest either. We just want it to be as fun and get as many entrants as possible. Keep the idea's coming.

ManOfTheFall's picture
So, this is what the contest

So, this is what the contest would be if we included whitetails, blacktails, and muley's, as far as the scoring goes. I think these are the only ones we could include. I don't have conversions for any other type of deer unless someone else does. Keep the idea's coming.

whitetails -                       125 = 125

muley's -               145 x .862 = 124.99

columbia blacktail - 90 x 1.389 = 125.01

sitka blacktail-      75 x 1.667 = 125.025

Deer Slayer's picture
So far, these all sound like

So far, these all sound like pretty good idea's. One thing I was thinking about is how many we should put on a team. Hopefully this year the interest will be more and BGH has a larger membership. I think depending on the numbers it should be no less than 5 but no more than 10. I also like buck only, and you can only enter 1 buck per person and it has to be your first buck. I really can't see too many other rules being implemented other than things like pictures with you, your buck, and your bow. I can't think of anything else. Let's all contribute and make this a bigger and better contest this year. 

Deer Slayer's picture
Here is another thing. I say

Here is another thing. I say we go with the gross score of the rack, not net score.

hunter25's picture
If I was in I would agree to

If I was in I would agree to the gross score. Trash adds charcter to the rack and should be counted. In my opinion a perfect rack is not always the best one.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like