12 replies [Last post]
jaybe's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
2011 Wyoming Hunt Results

Well, my first hunting trip west was fantastic! Everyone's equipment (3 Fifth-Wheel rigs and another truck) held together for the 3000+ mile round trip. The weather was absolutely perfect with cold nights and bluebird days (except one with a few clouds). Lots of animals were seen with an minimum of 6-10 Mule deer bucks and 3-4 Pronghorn bucks sighted each day.

Six hunters accounted for seven animals with only one mule deer tag left unpunched. The man who collected the first animal (a 10" pronghorn) just could not get close enough to a decent mule deer the rest of the week.

Here are the pictures of our camp, my animals and the hanging tree (before a couple more deer were added).  Individual stories and more pictures will probably be submitted in the future.

PreviewAttachmentSize
2011 Deer CampB.jpg
2011 Deer CampB.jpg61.45 KB
Jerry 11 MulieB.jpg
Jerry 11 MulieB.jpg161.11 KB
Jerry 11 AntelopeB.jpg
Jerry 11 AntelopeB.jpg147.71 KB
2011 Hanging TreeB.jpg
2011 Hanging TreeB.jpg178.99 KB
Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Absolutely awesome Jaybe!!! 

Absolutely awesome Jaybe!!!  Now that's what I call a game pole (Hanging tree)!!!!!

I don't remember from your planning, but was this through an outfitter, or was this all public land?  Either way, it's a heck of an accomplishment!! Glad you guys all came back with some meat, and I am sure had a wonderful hunt and trip with lots of memories.  Nice work!!!!

Definately looks like it was worth the long drive!

numbnutz's picture
Wow!! Looks like you guys had

Wow!! Looks like you guys had a great trip. Congrats on he fine looking animals. I can't wait to read the full write up. I love those cool nights and bluebird hunting days. Again congrats, Glad you had fun and made it home safe.

hunter25's picture
Congratulations on a great

Congratulations on a great trip and a fine looking buck!! It's great you were able to throw an antelope in as well. I look forward to reading the full story when you get a chance to write it up. It sounds to me like your hooked as usually you say your first and possibly last trip but this time I noticed you only said your first trip. 

Besides now you need to go back and get an antelope buck anyway.

Congratulations again as I know you looked forward to this trip for a very long time.

jaybe's picture
Ya - all public land,

Ya - all public land, self-guided hunt. Of course, going with a guy who has been there about 15 times did help a little!

I wasn't planning on getting an antelope license since my buddy said there weren't many in the area. He missed going last year with his wife being sick and couldn't believe how the goat population had exploded. We went to town mid-week and I picked up a doe license for $34 as opposed to $272 for a buck license. Maybe next time (?) I'll opt for the buck - we did see some really nice ones.

hunter25's picture
Those cheap doe tags are

Those cheap doe tags are definately an enjoyable and low risk option.

exbiologist's picture
Good for you

Glad to see it worked out so well, looks like a great hunt

SGM
SGM's picture
Wow that is a fantastic hunt,

Wow that is a fantastic hunt, congratulations to you and all the hunters in your group. Great looking photos and nice looking critters. You have got to experiance a Wyoming deer/antelope hunt to truly understand and appriciate it. Now that you have I am sure you are hooked for life. Great job and a great first western hunting trip. I have a feeling you will be back.

Retired2hunt's picture
  Congrats jaybe!  That is

Congrats jaybe!  That is one great picture of your hanging harvest!  Glad you had a great hunt and adventure.  I have got to get to Wyoming for a hunt!!!  Looking forward to reading the story behind these pictures!

That hanging tree looks like

That hanging tree looks like something they would use for bait in Africa for a leapard!

BoneCollector's picture
Congrats Jaybe! I too was in

Congrats Jaybe! I too was in Wy, and had a blast. Nice harvest tree. Big smile

Related Forum Threads You Might Like