7 replies [Last post]
2011 UTAH DEER HUNT

I have really big concerns with Utah's deer herd. I have talked to over 20 people that have hunted Utah and 1 person said they harvested a small buck. My concerns are if 2010 winter kill was higher than what was projected. Most of everyone I talked too said they seen very few to none deer during the hunt.

I am concerned about this cause it sounds the Deer herd in Utah is in big trouble at least in the northern region.

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
I have not hunted there in

I have not hunted there in years, but from what I had heard, Utah was still doing well in terms of deer population.  I only hunted there once, about 10 years ago, and that was in the Southeast zone.  My friends have been back a few times since, and they alway go to that area too.  Not sure on the northern part of the state.

They never have great success, but they see plenty of animals, and always have a good time.

Critter's picture
Of all the deer hunts that I

Of all the deer hunts that I know of in Utah this year you either got into the deer or you didn't.  A lot of hunters saw a lot of deer during the bow and ML hunts but couldn't find them during the general rifle hunt.  There had been snow up high and a lot of the deer just stayed up high when the hunters thought that they had headed low.  I did talk to one hunter that had seen over 100 does with only one small 2 pt buck with them.  I also have a niece who's husband and son shot a couple of real nice 4 pts on public land during the general season but they were up high. 

I won't argue that Utah's deer herds need help but so do all the rest of the mule deer herds in the west.  Next year if you haven't heard Utah is going to a 30 unit deer hunt and you need to pick your unit and stay in it.  That is unless you bow hunt and then after the bow hunt in your unit you can take a bow hunters ethic course and hunt the extended bow hunt of the Wasatch Front during and after the rut.  

The big problem is that it is going to take years to get the herd back up to where the state wants it and the hunters are going to suffer until that is accomplished.   

Critter I do agree with you

Critter I do agree with you all around, I am just so fustrated with hunting Utah. Its given me a bad taste I really dont think our DWR really manage our herds sometimes I think they just want there money. I see how Colorado, Wyoming and even Idaho make huge changes.

For example Wyoming Cut there out of state license by 40 percent in some areas on the western side of the state. This tells me that they had a huge winter kill to make such changes. I just think Utah avoids coming to terms of what they have lost and wont tell the public how bad of shape the herds really are.

Critter's picture
I don't think that it is the

I don't think that it is the DOW that doesn't want to admit it but the hunters them selfs that don't.  Utah is cutting 13,000 general deer tags over two years.  There were 5,000 tags cut this year and next year the additional 8,000 will be cut.  That along with getting rid of the regional areas that you could hunt and going with 30 separate units where they can control the hunter pressure better.  Also they are going to try and get the buck numbers up to 18-20 bucks per 100 does I believe.  Right now is some of the areas it is well below those numbers. 

Colorado made these type of changes back in 1992 or 1993 I believe and their mule deer numbers are still falling from the great hunting years of the 60's and 70's.  So if you still don't think that Utah's DOW isn't doing anything I suggest that you go to their web site and start reading and dig a ways into the statistics that they have on the site and look at it again.  What they have planned isn't going to be popular but at least they are going to give it a try.   

Critter's picture
As for hunting deer in Utah

As for hunting deer in Utah in 2012 if you haven't seen it here is a LINK to some questions and answers provided by Utah's DWR about 2012.  Also if you live in Utah and want to get involved with what is going on I would suggest that you attend a RAC meeting and voice your opinion.  There is one in Springville at the Jr. High School tonight 11/10. 

hunter25's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
I read the Utah information

I read the Utah information with interest. I only have one point at this time so hopefull when I decide I really want to get over there things will be looking much better. I will aply for a tag but probably in areas known to be good now but with really long odds. If I get it great but if I don't I will be building points for the future and hopefully better hunts that it holds.

Critter very good information

Critter very good information to look into. I guess I got some reading to do. Thanks again.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
utah 2011- any bull elk hunt-helpbaryce110/09/2011 19:04 pm
Utah San Juan Elk Ridge - Muzzleloader DeerUmpqua Hunter1106/25/2012 13:03 pm
CWD UTAH San Juan deer hunting unitflounder012/24/2011 09:12 am
Fellow Utah Hunters147 Grain005/16/2005 18:34 pm
utah deer herdssoules2007302/22/2008 09:37 am