48 replies [Last post]
prhunter's picture
2011 NM Draw

My application for the 2011 New Mexico draw has been submitted. This year I've applied for Pronghorn Antelope and Elk.

Good luck to all on your drawings!!!!!!!!!!

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Good luck to you!  Keep us

Good luck to you!  Keep us updated if you draw!

jaybe's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
I've seen some pretty nice

I've seen some pretty nice animals coming out of New Mexico. You'll have to be thinking about applying for one of those Bighorn Sheep that New Mexico got from Mexico a while back.

Good luck and keep us posted.

hunter25's picture
Well I still have 5 days to

Well I still have 5 days to drag my feet but I will get mine and my dads antelope application in before the deadline. This will be my first time for the antelope draw so I guess we will see how it goes. I asked a lot of questions and thought about it for a long time because we will be going in kind of blind if we are lucky enough to draw, but you only learn from doing so the choice is made.

I did apply unsuccessfully for the Oryx tag so this is technically my second application down there. I have to say that the process is very smooth on the New Mexico site and if you don't draw your money is refunded instantly back to your card.

AlpineClimber's picture
Good Luck to all.

This looks like the last year before they decrease the out of state percentages.  I applied for everything with a heartbeat.

JSmitty's picture
I put mine in back in January

I put mine in back in January so it has been a long wate, went for Deer, Elk, Ibex, and Antelope. I may add Barbary Sheep for a Feb 12 hunt. I will also be glad for the resident incress in tags I have lived here for 48 years and have yet to draw an antelope tag. Confused Dad says allways next year.

James

walkin's picture
Have they decided on the %

Have they decided on the % for non resident tags for next year? I Heard 2 to begin with then I heard it went back up.  I put in for elk this year I hope they don't get a flood of apps  with people thinkin this is the last chance year. Good luck to all

JSmitty's picture
I havent herd a final but my

I havent herd a final but my guess is somewhere around the 7-10% range. The difference is once the % is met it would be cut off where now we have a guarented % and if it gose over no problem. When they total up some units they have a 50 + % rate for non res.

James 

hunter25's picture
While I guess that's bad news

While I guess that's bad news for us on the outside looking in, especially when I just started applying in New Mexico this year for the first. But I do agree that residents of a state should have a far better chance of getting a tag than a non resident. And in some cases of severely limited supply the residents should get them all.

But if you don't mind let's wait a few more years until I get everything I want first okay? Yes

walkin's picture
Non Resident draw up to the Gov

New Mexico SB196 Update:
New Mexico's Senate Bill 196 which reduces non-resident tag quotas to 6% for regular non-guided applicants and will require a non-refundable $65 hunting license to apply is awaiting the Governor's signature to be finalized. Governor Susana Martinez has until this Friday to sign it. Apparently, the Governor's office has expressed concern regarding the financial future of New Mexico hunting if the bill is signed.

From huntin Fool

hunter25's picture
I don't mind taking my cances

I don't mind taking my cances with lower odds or even paying my whole fee up front. I just don't like the states that make you buy the hunting license that most of us will never use as a way to keep some of the money lost by reducing the quantity of tags from us.

The only state I buy the license to apply is Utah but that is one I will use so no money is lost. So far Colorado or Wyoming don't require it.