9 replies [Last post]
Swamp Donkey's picture
2011 NH Whitetail season - Muzzleloader

I have scouted this area for several months prior to the opening day of Archery(Sept. 15th)and hunted it several times on my own with bow passed up a 3 pointer on opening day because I knew this guy and 3 other nice bucks were in the area(caught on trail camera) saw a doe and her fawn on another occasion and walked up on a huge black bear in the dark while heading to my stand on another occasion. My father who is leaving for Florida at the middle of this month(retired and loving it) loves to hunt also, he has gone up with me a few times and I started seeing all the deer sign higher then my stand, so I moved my stand location another 100 yards up the Mtn and decided to put my father in the tree previously occupied by me. Well  a week later we got 14 inches of snow, so we decided to go up and take stands for the first time since the snow, on the way up for our afternoon sit we noticed what looked to be all the fresh sign had moved down the mtn, as we approached our stand location there was less and less fresh deer tracks, this was not a good feeling. We decided to sit in our current spots anyway, ignoring the fact that there were no tracks to be found. With 3 hours past and daylight dwindling, 15 minutes of legal shooting left I heard a shot ring out and knew it was my father so I held fast watched and listened for branches and the thrashing of a whitetail running. I heard the deer run into some young beech saplings with their leaves still attached. I then got down from the tree grabbed my stand and back pack and threw them over my shoulders and started toward my father with great anticipation. When i got to him(15minutes later) he told me to go find his tracks and see if there was any blood, I jumped at the opportunity to be the first to see the deer. This is what I found!

PreviewAttachmentSize
big buck down.jpg
big buck down.jpg13.94 KB
Dads 9 pointer.jpg
Dads 9 pointer.jpg50.34 KB
IMG_8412.jpg
IMG_8412.jpg3.86 MB
IMG_8416-2.jpg
IMG_8416-2.jpg904.71 KB
Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
That's one heck of a buck

That's one heck of a buck Swamp!!!  I didn't realize that New Hampshire had their muzzleloader season prior to rifle season.  Congrats to your Dad.

My dad just got out of the woods.  He was checking the game camera one last time and setting up a stand for our season.  I fly back there next week for the opener in Vermont on the 12th.  According to all the stuff I am reading, the 12th is predicted to be the peak of the rut, and Field and Stream says that's the one day you need to be in the woods ALL DAY! 

Last week, Dad got a buck moving at 1:30 in the afternoon, and then today, he just jumped 3 at the same time.  So, they are moving in the middle of the day.  I am pretty pumped!

Swamp Donkey's picture
Thanks, My dad was very

Thanks, My dad was very happy, like a kid in a candy store kinda happy. Excited to tell everyone! This was his biggest buck to date. I had this buck and 3 other nice ones on my trail camera prior to archery season so to get a hitlist buck is very cool indeed!

I wish you and your dad the best of luck and be sure to post the pics when you down him!

Good luck bud!

Here is the trail cam pic of him, a bear had knocked my camera around prior to this buck passing in front of it, but the cam got him hjust the same!

PreviewAttachmentSize
IMG_0081.JPG
IMG_0081.JPG232.8 KB
IMG_0092.JPG
IMG_0092.JPG233.77 KB
Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Very nice!  Love the before

Very nice!  Love the before and after pics!

Swamp Donkey's picture
Very Nice!

Ca_Vermonster wrote:

Very nice!  Love the before and after pics!

Thats a great way of puting it! lol

Tndeerhunter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Great harvest

Thanks for the story. That was a great deer and your Father harvested a great buck as well!!  Thumbs up

Swamp Donkey's picture
Thanks!

Thanks!

hunter25's picture
Congratulations on some great

Congratulations on some great bucks!! My whitetail hunt just ended and I'm already jealous and anxious to go after them again. In another year from now! I have not hunted with a muzzleloader for a very long time now but all the reports this week have me thinking about it again. I like to spread my seasons out and that would be the best way for me to do it as ours starts well before the rifle season comes along.

Congratulations again on your hunt.

Retired2hunt's picture
  That is one great whitetail

That is one great whitetail Swamp Donkey!  Please pass my congrats to your Dad!!!  I have to chuckle here because my Dad at 78 still wears that same red and black checkered wool shirt on his hunts!  Maybe your Dad is going down to Florida way too early?  Seems like there would be much more hunting time left in the season before making the trek to FL?!?!  Anyhow - great hunt and thanks for sharing these precious pics of your Dad's hunt!!!

Swamp Donkey's picture
Your right, there is much

Your right, there is much more hunting time here but he is ready to go, doesnt want to get caught in any snow. I think I may have ended his season too quickly, I will remember that next year. I wont bring him to my honey hole until I get my deer first! lol He loves that old wool shirt, too funny! Have a great season and thanks for the comment. I hope to post my deer in the next few days if all goes as planned(which it rarely does).

Related Forum Threads You Might Like