7 replies [Last post]
Swamp Donkey's picture
2011 NH Moose Hunt - A Success!

Thumbs up

After several months of scouting in WMU I1, the hunt was finally here! Warm temperatures and windy conditions and an abundance of food sources made this years hunt a hard one, at least in this unit. The moose seemed to be away from the cuts, at least the cuts we were hunting, there were a few taken in cuts but for the most part the moose had other ideas on where to get their fill. The rut was long past due by at least a week or 2 which made calling seem useless. It was a matter of finding moose outside their typical feeding areas. As the week went on we felt we were getting closer and closer to the moose, finding fresher and fresher sign as we went along. on Friday we decided to go into this small piece of woods with lots of  7-8 year old beech growth, this area was wide open and perfect for a shot if we saw what we were looking for. Once into this piece we immediately started seeing fresh sign, tracks that were just hours old, lots of rutting sign from the previous couple weeks and lots of snipped beech browse. We decided to leave the area but not after making a mock scrape, kinda like deer do but much bigger in size and unloaded a bomb inside the scrape. We went back to this spot several hours later around 3:30 pm to take a sit and watch what might come through, before we got to our sit location we noticed movement down by the river about 60-70 yards away, we noticed it was a cow and her calf and then a young bull, the rest is history! Seeing 4 moose total during the hunt.

Swamp Donkey Adventures want to thank my clients this year for having faith in me and sticking with me even when it did not seem like it was going to happen. John Wieloch Sr and John Wieloch Jr were 2 of the nicest people I have ever met and truly had a passion for the hunt and the animals we were after.
I do wish however John Sr. could have joined us in the field, instead he was sidelined with a bad knee, this kept him from getting into the woods with us but he did keep an eye on our vehicles for us and made friends and conversation with many people who passed by and stopped to talk to him.

Took us 6.5 hours to remove the moose from the woods, once we did, we were immediately off to the store for ice where we were joined by another couple who needed to check in their moose as well, so they followed us to New Hampton where the moose was checked in, a tooth was removed for aging purposes and it was weighed and recorded into the books by NH Fish and Game. The moose was estimated to be 3.5 years old weighing 730 lbs, then the CO mentioned because the weight exceeded that of classification for a 3.5 year old that the data from the tooth might come back in Feb. saying he was 4.5 years old. Either way, a very nice moose and a great hunt. See photos below!

PreviewAttachmentSize
IMG_2614.JPG
IMG_2614.JPG177.47 KB
IMG_2617.JPG
IMG_2617.JPG176.69 KB
IMG_8397.jpg
IMG_8397.jpg3.53 MB
Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
That's just awesome Swamp

That's just awesome Swamp Donkey!  Great looking Moose, and congrats to the hunters!  I was waiting to hear how your hunt was going to turn out.  I know you have put in alot of work looking for one for these guys, so I am glad to see it pay off.

By the way, any problems with the issue we discussed a while back?  Any more said on the matter?  Hopefully everything went off without a hitch!

My cousin has her late hunt for moose up in Maine starting on November 7th, I believe.  She's hoping to score a double while in the woods, on deer an moose.  But, she'll be happy with just the moose.  She got one 4 years ago or so that went about the same size as yours, I think.  750-800 pounds.  Her dad and husband have seen a HUGE one lately, so we're holding out hope for that guy.

Congrats again!  It's a beauty! 

Swamp Donkey's picture
Thanks for the good words! I

Thanks for the good words! I had put in lots of time for sure, the hunt was hard, I had never planned on guided in this area(I1) but things happen and you just have to do what you have to do! The clients went home very happy and they were great people, couldnt ask for better clients.

As for the issue I had mentioned to you prior, I never went to that location, I let them hunt there, I am not sure if they pulled anything out of that spot or not, but I think the entire handicapped thing was bull but it worked and I felt bad going to a spot they had already secured and got permission from for a handicapped hunter so I stayed clear. I have not heard anything else and I dont plan on talking to this guy again. I did congratulate him on his moose but that was the extent of it. The other site I was on I had them delete my profile.

I had a great time in the woods during the hunt, I just wish the season was a little longer so I could still be out there now guiding someone else. Dang thats alot of fun chasing down moose.

I wish your friends luck in Maine and I hope they can track down or come across the big guy! Please let me know how they make out and post some pics and the story as soon as you hear!

Take care and have a great hunting season.

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
So you're done on the other

So you're done on the other regional site?  Bummer, sorry you had to do that.

Thanks for the wishes of luck!  I wish I could get just one, but we'll see.  I actually will be out Monday after a doe, then Vermont on the 12th for rifle opener, and then back here for the rest of November and December trying to fill an archery tag.  In between all that, I will be hunting for pig for the first time, on the second weekend in December. 

You would think that I will be able to get SOMETHING.......  lol

Swamp Donkey's picture
Sounds like you have a busy

Sounds like you have a busy couple months coming up! I wish you luck, maybe you'll fill all your tags! Best of luck!

SGM
SGM's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Way to go Swamp Donkey. Very

Way to go Swamp Donkey. Very nice looking bull and one happy hunter. My congratulations to you and the hunter. Sure looks like you did your homework and it sure paid off big time. Great photos and thanks for sharing. If I can ever draw a moose tag here in Colorado I hope I am as lucky as this hunter was.

Swamp Donkey's picture
Yeah I put in lots of time

Yeah I put in lots of time for sure in an area I dont usually guide. That being said, it was tuff and I knew it would be but.... thats how it goes sometimes!

I wish you luck in Colorado, moose hunting is the best! If you need a guide let me know I would love to go to Colorado to call moose, lol

Thanks for the great feedback! 

saskie's picture
AWESEOME!!!

Nice job man!

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
2011 Moose Hunt Outfitter Recommendations?Colorado Hunter712/24/2010 07:42 am
Alaska Moose Hunt - Giant BullsRaghornHS002/10/2011 15:19 pm
VT - Bull MooseHunt-n-Fish-VT811/12/2005 23:58 pm
Canada Moose Hunting Recommendations?Colorado Hunter008/24/2010 14:52 pm
Alaskan moosebullmoose77309/18/2006 14:29 pm