7 replies [Last post]
Colorado Hunter's picture
2011 Moose Hunt Outfitter Recommendations?

My family and I are looking into a 2011 Canada moose hunt for 4 guys.  We would prefer a drive in hunt (from MO) but are looking at all options.  I've looked at Ontario and Newfoundland but there are so many outfits to choose from.  Can anyone recommend an outfitter?  We could go unguided or semiguided depending on the price.  We're not looking for record book moose, just a good hunt with a chance at a decent bull or two and a couple of cows/calves.

Thanks

I have hunted northern

I have hunted northern Ontario 5 times since moving south from AK in 98-2010 will be my 6th- There are several good outfitters in or nea rArmstrong ,ON.I have used mattice once and Ogoki Frontier the rest. both are very good-paul & juday at ogoki will take good care of you. In Ontario you must buy tags through outfitter and use some services but do NOT need a guide. with my previous moosin experience we get along just fine- We have never been skunked and the biggest bull i have taken was 48" respectable most places.Do not  expect to fill all tags as this ain't a 12K AK hunt.If you want some more info PM me BUT I leave for Armstrong this Friday the 17th.

groovy mike's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
tell em more

Widux wrote:

I have hunted northern Ontario 5 times since moving south from AK in 98-2010 will be my 6th- There are several good outfitters in or nea rArmstrong ,ON.I have used mattice once and Ogoki Frontier the rest. both are very good-paul & juday at ogoki will take good care of you. In Ontario you must buy tags through outfitter and use some services but do NOT need a guide. with my previous moosin experience we get along just fine- We have never been skunked and the biggest bull i have taken was 48" respectable most places.Do not  expect to fill all tags as this ain't a 12K AK hunt.If you want some more info PM me BUT I leave for Armstrong this Friday the 17th.

When you get back, I would love to hear more.  This sounds EXACTLY like the sort of hunt I'm looking for!  Thanks for the information!

sorry for two posts BUT this

sorry for two posts BUT this sucks for posting- usually save is for edits I can't get used to this and may just say Adios Amigos

PM me for more info- just

PM me for more info- just back- went 4 for 4--best ever.

groovy mike's picture
PM coming

Widux wrote:

PM me for more info- just back- went 4 for 4--best ever.

Private message en route.  Tell me more! Thanks

hawkeye270's picture
First of all, welcome

First of all, welcome colorado hunter! The site has all kinds of great people on it that love to share good information. It looks like you found exactly what you were looking for... good deal. I too hope to hunt moose one day. It is a little bit out of the range of my pocket book right now since I am just a lowly college student. Good luck where ever you end up hunting the biggest of our deer.

Widux: I am ignorant to the regulations that you speak of... can you elaborate. You say that you have to buy your tags through the outfitter? How does that work? Does the department of natural resources up there give out all the tags to outfitters and then they divy them out? Is there a drawing for residents?

You also say that you have to use some services but DO NOT have to be guided. What are the details of that?

groovy mike's picture
details

Hawkeye:

I swapped a couple of emails with Widux.  He is having trouble logging into the website so he might not respond to your post, but he did tell me that the outfitter he deals with in Ontario sells the tags and rents a hunting area without charging for a sepeterate guide fee.  That seems like a pretty good deal to me and the prices do not seem unreasonable.  It's just a question of the travel expenses for me.  But I think you are a lot closer to Ontario than I am.  If you want to follow up on it some more, I suggest shooting Widux and email.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Canada Moose Hunting Recommendations?Colorado Hunter008/24/2010 14:52 pm
Drop camp outfitter WantedHunt Walkers003/07/2004 16:37 pm
Newfoundland Moose and Woodland Cariboutxbritman009/05/2007 08:41 am
Moose Hunt on Babine Lake, BC.diana107/17/2006 18:53 pm
CO Goose Outfitterwyflyguy209/04/2009 08:13 am