15 replies [Last post]
2011 Colorado 2nd rifle season

First of all I would like to say thanks for the help who directed me in my research for the 2nd season rifle elk hunt. Special thanks to Exbiologist for the tips.  I would have to say first thing Colorado has no shortage of out of state hunters. I seen more out of state hunters than residence hunters. I did not know what to really think when I got to my hunting area to figure out what to do as fare where to hunt to where to go to find the elk. Finding the elk was easy part the hard part was getting away from the crowds of hunters. I was able to arrive in the hunting area 4 days early to scout for the elk and boy it paid off I was able to harvest a nice 6x5 bull. I will post pictures later but I tell you I earned every cut a bruise for this elk he was not easy to get out and back to the camp.

hunter25's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Congratulations and it sounds

Congratulations and it sounds like you had a great adventure for sure! I know what you mean about non resident hunters as many years I see far more than locals. I know many by name after to yalking to the same guys year after year. You can usually get farther back than most pretty easy or after you learn the areas well you can even use them to your advantage when you know which way the game will go when pressured.

Congratulations again in becoming an elk hunter and in your hard earned success.

Your are right I met people

Your are right I met people from ohio, arkansa,  The Ohio group is about 12 hunters and been hunting since 1967 in the area I found out which area they hung out the most and stayed  away from the area which they hunted and watched them close on how they do there drive's I'm excited I was successful. I cant wait for next year since I know the area better.

COMeatHunter's picture
I think it's pretty amazing

I think it's pretty amazing the advice you can get on this forum as well.  Just ask and many times several will help you out.  

Glad to hear about your success too!  That's cool.  Yet another one of the great things about this forum, we all get to share the great hunts and success.

Can't wait for you post some pics and a more details/story.  Thanks a bunch for sharing!

GooseHunter Jr's picture
Congrats on a what appears to

Congrats on a what appears to be a great sucessful hunt.  I am from Colorado and it too amazes me how many out of state hunters we see in all areas.  Some of them need to learn that they elk are not gonna be on the main roads, so ya gotta get out and put some boot leather to the ground and get after them.

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Very nice!!!  A big congrats

Very nice!!!  A big congrats to you!  You are correct, these is lots of great advice on this site, which helps alot.  I will be going on a combo hunt next year in Colorado for elk and deer, and I am already overflowing with information from these guys!

Sounds like you got a great bull!  can't wait to see some photos and hear the story.  Congrats again!

Bull Buster's picture
congrats.  can't wait to see

congrats.  can't wait to see the pics

You don't see the residents,

You don't see the residents, because we know where to go so you don't see us.  Big smile

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
A lot of residents will only

A lot of residents will only hunt on the weekends where a non resident will schedule a whole week to be off to hunt so you will see more of them out and about.  Also while the resident will know where he wants to hunt and just drive there and hunt a non resident will have a base camp where he and the others that he hunts with will camp during the hunt and then drive to where they are going to hunt. 

mmc1014's picture
Most of us residents either

Most of us residents either dont hunt 2nd or 3rd season or do so on private land where there is less pressure.  For me personally, I love to hunt 1st season on unpressured elk or 4th on the elk when they hit the low BLM.  I have tried hunting 2nd season before for elk and it was a very frusterating experience due to the immense amount of other people trapsing around the woods.  Besides--I like the fact that there is a lot less probability of getting shot with the lower hunter numbers in the short seasons--body armor is way too expensive!!!!  

Congrats on the good hunt by the way!!

I hope these pictures come

I hope these pictures come out it was a fun hunt for sure.

PreviewAttachmentSize
IMGP0172.JPG
IMGP0172.JPG1.21 MB

Related Forum Threads You Might Like