9 replies [Last post]
Gknutson's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
2010 Oklahoma Whitetail

I was lucky enough to see this guy chasing a doe on the first evening of the Oklahoma rifle season. Not my best buck but a solid 145" 10pt. with some character.  I havent seen very many whitetails with big matching forks like this one.

PreviewAttachmentSize
DSC00660.JPG
DSC00660.JPG1.76 MB
DSC00662.JPG
DSC00662.JPG1.69 MB
DSC00665.JPG
DSC00665.JPG1.75 MB
CVC
CVC's picture
Very nice buck....and unique

Very nice buck....and unique with the matching forks.  We were discussing the quality of white tails in OK and I think this picture answers the question in a very positive way.  Congratulations.

Gknutson's picture
Oklahoma is under rated. But

Oklahoma is under rated. But we dont have as many farmland monsters as Kansas  and we dont have the large deer hurds with great buck to doe ratio of South Texas. That being said Oklahoma is a sleeper state for big whitetails.

P.S. I think texas gets 90% of its reputation from high fence hunts and how impressive is that really ?

CVC
CVC's picture
To each their own when it

To each their own when it comes to high fences, but you're right.  You cant compare high fence deer to free range deer. 

hawkeye270's picture
I would agree that the term

I would agree that the term "solid" is pretty appropriate when talking about a 140 class ten point. If that buck is not your best than more power to you but I know a lot of white tail hunters that are dreaming of a buck like that. Congratulations on taking him. I am not a huge white tail fanatic but am more of a mule deer fiend but I have never heard a white tail guy talk about his bucks forks. I did not know that you guys were looking for that trait in your deer but after looking at your I can certainly see what you are saying. His front tines do from a fork that kind of resembles a mule deer's but the tines still come off the main beam vertically like a standard white tail. And those forks are good and symetrical too. I am loving it. Good work.

CVC
CVC's picture
Not a whitetail fanatic? 

Not a whitetail fanatic?  What is wrong with you???? LOL....

Whitetail hunting is different than mule deer hunting and I think if I had to choose I'd probably choose mule deer hunting since it tends to be more of an active type hunting versus the sit and wait of whitetail, but whitetail is exciting when it does all come together.

Great country where we live in that we don't have to choose one or the other

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
That is a stud of a buck! 

That is a stud of a buck!  And if it's not your biggest, and it's in the 140's, I'd love to see some photos of the others. Thumbs up

Congrats on a fine buck!  Oklahoma seems to be a sleeper state, not mentioned with Kansas, Illinois, etc., but from what I have seen, it'll hold it's own.

groovy mike's picture
A wall hanger for sure

Wow, that buck is a wall hanger for sure.  If he is not your best (or even if he is) you are blessed!

Celebrate that big boy. 

I'd love to bag one like that someday....

Gknutson's picture
Hes not far from my best.

Hes not far from my best. He is very unique which I like. Here are a couple of my other good ones.

The first is a 132" gross 15 pt. Ive killed a few that are that size but have never killed anything that unique.

The second is my biggest 150" gross 9pt. one brow tine is broken which would have put him in the mid 150s.

PreviewAttachmentSize
cliffhanger, deer pics and hog pics 004.jpg
cliffhanger, deer pics and hog pics 004.jpg46.81 KB
9 pt. 3.JPG
9 pt. 3.JPG82.49 KB
9 pt. 2.JPG
9 pt. 2.JPG100.09 KB
DSCN0325.JPG
DSCN0325.JPG1.98 MB
Gknutson's picture
Another picture of the 15pt.