6 replies [Last post]
2010 Elk (pic added)

been putting in for AZ. and have never drawn a tag. going on 12 years..

Long story short I am looking to do some archery in ID. (elk)

How is the private land to public land ratio... any help could gladly be paid back for spots/hunts in AZ..

Beau

this bull was taken by my 10yo nephew it was his first time applying for any hunt! 45 yd broadside shot with a muzzy 75gr. 3 blade he went 60 yds. and piled up

PreviewAttachmentSize
brodiesbull.JPG
brodiesbull.JPG27.59 KB
2010 Elk (pic added)

sweet! thanks for all the pms.... I appreciate all the help...

Ill def. be a contributor to this site... seem like some really good guys!

ecubackpacker's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
2010 Elk (pic added)

WOW! Tell your nephew congrats on an awesome bull. Can I borrow his "rabbits foot" before April next year? I need some luck in the draw next year. Again, great shot and an awesome bull.

2010 Elk (pic added)

tons and tons of public land in ID.

dont want to bust your hopes but dont plan on coming to idaho and shooting a bull like that one tho. that bull is great.

good luck.

2010 Elk (pic added)

Your nephew is one lucky kid. My friends brother, first year hunter got a tag and was on private land, up in Unit 69 (Idaho) and shot a 7x8 MONSTER. I told him he ruined hunting for himself, because he will prob never shoot anything that large again.

Tons of private land. I'm from the SouthEastern part of the state and been hunting all over for 15 years now.

If you are interested in Archery... I can recommend a few areas. 59,30,30A,64,, 65,61,66,67. I've had some success in each of these areas, both deer and elk on public land, but things havent looked all that great the past two years. It seems the elk just up and disappeared.

My buddy shot a 6x6 bull last year in Unit 64 that scored 375. He shot a 5x5 this year in Unit 59. My other friend shot a 6x7 that scored 325 in Unit 64 this past weekend. These bulls are fair sized. We passed up several 4-5 pointers. If you are looking for meat to fill your freezer, then your chances are pretty good on public land. If your going for trophy size... good luck, cause there arent too many 350+ bulls out there... at least that I have seen.

I lived in Arizona for 4 years and got the chance to go hunting in Flagstaff area (dont know where... close to the Grand Canyon rim) and I've seen some HUGE elk... bigger than Ive seen in my life.

I dont know much about the rest of the state (idaho), but the Salmon or Clearwater or Nez Perce area.... just be ready and willing to hike your ace off. its some thick mountainous country.

Hope I could help you our some. I know you missed the archery this season, but maybe the info could help you with next season.

Mark

2010 Elk (pic added)

Idaho elk numbers are at a record low.......any hunting in Idaho would be limited to just wolves, since that is all that is left. do some research at non-hunting sites like

http://www.saveelk.com

or

http://www.huntwolves.com

that is your best bet for any hunting in idaho,,,,and beware, the IF&G will sell you tags for other hunts, even if there are no game animals left to hunt.

I suggest you so some serious research before spending any money with the state.

2010 Elk (pic added)

Very well put. There is some truth to that. Some of the general elk and deer hunts we used to hunt on, have been closed by F&G.

I should have mentioned this to you as well...

I have family in Montana. If this season ends up being a big bomb, I'm going to MT next year. I figure I"ve got about $700 already put into hunting this year and I havent hunted General Season yet. I figure I will be into hunting about $1500 (all the gas spend on scouting trips, food, tag, permits).

Related Forum Threads You Might Like