17 replies [Last post]
elkkill06's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
2010 Colorado Muley Part 2 !!!

Well my cape is back from the tannery and I have already changed my mind twice. I first was going to go with a full sneak, but then remembered that in the form I like, that they do not make a big enough neck and in the one that is close I can only do a left turn unless I alter it (which I love doing anyway). Then I went back in today and was going to go with a semi-sneak, right turn and would do some alterations (also would do head up).

Now I have changed my mind again tonight while looking at live pics of mulies and this is what I am thinking I am going to try and go for. I will have to do the semi-sneak and do some serious altering, but it will be very different and be a great pose to add to my collection.

What do you guys think of my idea ?

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
That's a nice buck there.  I

That's a nice buck there.  I really like the sneak or semi-sneak pose.  Hopefully, one day, I will gt a deer worthy of doing in that manner.

The one you got last fall would look really nice in that position. Thumbs up

elkkill06's picture
Thanks ;)

CaVermonster,

Thanks !!!! That is the pose I am going to go with ! Yes The form is being ordered tomorrow and I am going crazy waiting to get this all going. When we get started I will hopefully get to post pics as we get things going on this thread.

Quinton

numbnutz's picture
Quinton I really like your

Quinton

I really like your idea and think it will turn out great!!! I love the semi sneak pose. I'm hopeing I will bag a big Blacktail this year so i can get a quality mount done. I have a lot of wall space to fill Yes . I'm looking forward to seeing how it all turns out.

Josh

elkkill06's picture
Thanks !!!!

Josh,

Thanks for the great comment ! :thumbsup1:  Good luck on that big Blacktail and I hope both you and Sean are very successful in 2011. Yes

I will be boiling his jaw bone this Saturday so that we can use his real jaw and teeth. I can hardly sleep !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  What?

Quinton

Ca_Vermonster's picture
You definately have to start

You definately have to start a thread with photos in this section.  Maybe a step by step process for us to follow along with.

Thumbs up

elkkill06's picture
We started it !!!

Well guys we got started on him last Wednesday, but I have not gotten to take the pics I was hoping to. We took off his bottom jaw (off the form) and drimmeled it out so we could put the real deers bottom jawbone and teeth in it. We also cut his nose in three places so we could make it bend up like he is fleming.

Thursday my taxi (Matt) sculpted in the tongue and upper pallet in his mouth and painted the inside of the mouth before he put it back together.

Then Friday after I got off work I went in and started altering the form. I made one cut behind the head to turn and lift his head (when I say turn I was taking the RH turn mostly out of it). I also made a cut about a third of the way from his head and to take out more of the turn. We also bulked up the sides of his neck for some muscle structure.

Tomorrow Matt will add more clay to his nose to make the roman nose and add wrinkles behind his nose. More clay will be added to give the throat and bottom jaw character and more realism. He should be mounted tomorrow.

I should be adding pics tomorrow. :thumbsup1:

Ca_Vermonster's picture
That's gonna look killer! 

That's gonna look killer!  Keep us updated.

BTW, is that the taxidermist's place, or yours?  Nice Oryx below your muley...... Wink

elkkill06's picture
Really close now !

That is in the taxidermy shop ! Thumbs up We got him mounted so now all that is left is the baby sitting and the drying period. I could not be any happier with the outcome. It is truely amazing ! Yes

I will post the finished product in a new thread when I bring him home.

Quinton

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Very cool! I am unfamiliar

Very cool!

I am unfamiliar for the most part with the actual process, so I am wondering, what are the strips down each side of the neck?  Are they holding the hide in place while it dries????

elkkill06's picture
Thanks

Sean,

Thank you ! Yes those are there to make sure that the hides stays where it needs to to show the neck muscle structure. :thumbsup1: 

Thanks again !

Quinton 

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
My 2010 Colorado Muley !!!elkkill061404/12/2011 09:40 am
Eastern Colorado Deercomulies09101/19/2010 20:22 pm
double main beamed muleyhunter251105/03/2011 19:23 pm
first muley in coloradobuckfinatic503/23/2008 15:05 pm
Another Super Colorado Buckelkkill061703/03/2011 18:28 pm