4 replies [Last post]
2010 Colorado help

A friend and I are looking at doing our first elk hunt together next year. Since it is our first time we are going to go with a rifle to help increase our chances. We have decided on Colorado but looking at the big game guide we are having trouble even figuring out where to start at picking a unit. Being completely new to this I would appreciate any and all advice you can give me on elk hunting. I understand if you don't want to give me specific units but if you could give me some ideas on where to start that would be great. Also, any tips and pointers on hunting elk would also be appreciated.

Thanks for any and all comments and or suggestions.

Nate

2010 Colorado help

look at the statistics on the DOW website. That will point you in the right direction. You can also search previous posts for how to prepare yourself.

exbiologist's picture
2010 Colorado help

This is a good place to start, but best used in conjunction with a map or two.
http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/BigGame/Statistics

One that might help is the back page of the Big Game guide as the new versions show you the unit map with a National Forest land border.

And then there ahem, other ahem, websites that are a little more specific and get into statistics like hunter densities, game/hunter, trophy potential, elk density and some success rate stuff.

On the DOW stats, you could just look for high success rates or see where a pile of elk were killed, and assume that would be a good place to go. Units like 4, 12, 23,24, or 70 are extremely popular.

2010 Colorado help

Thanks for the help so far. It is really over whelming looking at the map and trying to figure which area to try to hunt. I am glad I got an early start on planning this hunt as it seems like there is a lot that I am going to need to do to get it all put together.

Thanks again for those that posted and if anybody else has any other information that would be helpful to a rookie please share it with me since I can use all the help I can get.

Nate

GooseHunter Jr's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
2010 Colorado help

In reading the 5 year structure plan for big game here in CO, how accurate are the season dates....are those set in stone or tenitaive??

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Looking for 2010 Cow Elk hunt - Coloradofishrmann112/11/2009 13:52 pm
Colorado Outfitters?PBear14303/02/2009 14:12 pm
Over The Counter (OTC) Unit MapPolish Hammer109/25/2008 07:37 am
Oregon Nonresident Fee ScrewingHOGGETTER703/03/2010 16:37 pm
Colorado GMU 40, Mule Deerss23bucks106/10/2010 22:32 pm