4 replies [Last post]
exbiologist's picture
2010 Colorado Harvest stats are out

If you were looking for them before you apply, they're out now.  

Population stats, which are every bit as interesting to me won't be out til April typically, but you can usually find them in the Wildlife Commision meeting notes before they are released on the stats page.  

hunter25's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Excellent. I have not even

Excellent. I have not even started my Colorado applications yet but I actually had the books open in front of me as I'm writing this.

For deer nothing ever changes for me but I do like to check everything out when planning my possible options for the licenses that take many more years to get as the data does change over time.

Thanks for the heads up.

jaybe's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
This is really interesting to

This is really interesting to me. The whole idea of having to decide between upwards of 150 different hunting areas is very different for a Michigander. I have only huned in this state, and when we get a license for archery season or hunting with a rifle, shotgun or muzzle loader, it is good for the entire state. There are different seasons - dates when the muzzle loader is all you can use, for example - but the entire state is one.

Now - does are another thing. Because of TB and CWD concerns, there have been a number of different units established for these, and one must apply for the particular unit he wishes to hunt in. But even there, the harvest statistics and population statistics aren't anything that are published. So here, about the only decision to make is, "Where do I want to apply for a doe permit this year?" With the exception of that, you can hunt anywhere in the state you want - a different spot every day of the season if you want.

I can sure see why there is so much planning and/or scouting that comes into play in the western states. Thumbs up

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Yeah, funny isn't it?I grew

Yeah, funny isn't it?

I grew up in Vermont, and it was pretty much straight forward.  I bought my yearly combination hunting and fishing license.  With it, I got a deer tag, a bear tag, and I could hunt all the small game.

Then, I moved here to California.  Fortunately for me, the area I hunt isn't very good, and the tags were always available over the counter.  However, there is a tag for everything out here.  There are tons and tons of different zones, dates, for every different animal and different season.  I was amazed and confused at the same time.

Thanks for the heads-up ExB.  Some good info, even if it looks like I won't be making it this year. Thumbs up

Gnarly's picture
It didn't used to be this way.

I've been hunting Colorado big game for 50 years.  In the 60's we bought a deer license.  The license was good state wide.  You could bag either a buck or a doe and in some areas you could kill two or more deer on one tag.

That changed in the 70's.  We had to draw for doe tags but buck tags were purchased over the counter. Changes for Elk and Antelope were also being adopted.  Then the DOW began to manage wildlife differently by controling the number of hunters in certain areas, thus the current system evolved. 

I think the draw was a good idea overall.  In hot areas such as; the Piceance Basin and Gunnison, were overrun with hunters and needed to be managed.   Ultimately it spread out the hunting pressure and allowed DOW to manage to herd population in a more positive and constructive manner.   

The thing that does bother me with the method is; the hunter is confined to one area.  He can't just roam where he wants to.  On several occassions and various reasons; we have wanted to pull up stakes and move to a totally different area but couldn't because of the restrictions.  On more than one occassion;  I've stumbled into a another unit and wasn't even aware of it until later.  (My bad.)

Back in the 70's and 80's we had many more hunters in the state than we do now.   The Dow needed to adjust and make changes; however, I have witnessed a significant drop in hunters in the past two decades. Maybe its time they need to readjust again and re-examine there policies.  I would be in favor of making the units larger.  Having nearly 150 units spread out across the state seems a little excessive.

For now; it is what it is.  Get your aps in and good luck.  I hope you have a great experience hunting in God's Country.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Colorado harvest statsexbiologist1203/13/2012 08:20 am
2009 Colorado Harvest Stats are outexbiologist503/24/2010 10:10 am
Colorado Elk Numbersbuckykm1912/21/2011 12:12 pm
Only 6 months to go!exbiologist403/10/2010 06:46 am
Bosque Del osoBleuBijou208/17/2012 20:28 pm