11 replies [Last post]
hellomcfly's picture
2010 Colorado Goats

Went up to the northwest part of the state to hunt. we had 3 buck tags to fill and we filled 2. my dad shot a nice goat. about 13 inches tall with 5 inch cutters on each side. He made a decent shot at 200 yds then we chased him over the hill and he made a perfect shot to put him down. My dad's friend shot the other buck. he was pretty small but it was the last day and he was coming straight to us down a trail at about 120 yds i'd say. He made a terric clean kill shot.

I, on the other hand.....missed 4 bucks on sunday alone.  i have no idea why and i don't wanna debate why i missed because i've already heard twenty different theories. Why i missed isn't the point, the point is that i made 3 perfect stalks on 3 different bucks. I got to within 200 yards of all 3 bucks. all were standing broadside. The wind was perfect...i had stalked, and crawled to within range of them. I took a dead rest....and i missed....all 3 bucks. I missed with my rifle and my dad's rifle both. I was extremely bummed out because one of those bucks was a monster. But i have to remind myself that it happens to everyone at some point or another and i can't let it get me down. which is why i'm going out again on saturday to try to get redemption. After i gain some confidence at the shooting range on friday.

PreviewAttachmentSize
011.JPG
011.JPG1.72 MB
007.JPG
007.JPG1.72 MB
005.JPG
005.JPG1.42 MB
GooseHunter Jr's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Congrats on some fine goats,

Congrats on some fine goats, nothing to be ashammed of there...all would be in the back of my truck also.  As far as missing even though we do not want to admit we all miss at times.  I missed a doe at 200 yards this year, but she made the mistake of running 75 yards away and stopping to llok back and I let her jave it and she dropped where she stood....I am still dumb founded as how I missed the first time.

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Those are some nice goats! 

Those are some nice goats!  Congrats to you and your Dad....... Yes

Centennial's picture
Mcfly, I was up there as

Mcfly, I was up there as well.  Obviously you had plenty of opportunities but overall, was the experience of hunting in 3/301 worth the wait to get there?   I shot a an okay antelope, 14 long with 6in prongs, opening AM but had a horrible experience (it was VERY crowded in the single section I chose to hunt) and based on that, would have a hard time recommending waiting 13 years to get in there.  However, my experience was a sample of one so I am interested in another “sample point”. 

hellomcfly's picture
I don't think it's worth 13

I don't think it's worth 13 points to draw. i didn't see any bucks up there that would've gone book. biggest buck i saw first weekend was about 14 inches tall with probably 4 inch cutters and average mass. I went up again this past weekend and did shoot a good buck. Nothing big though. My uncle took a 14 inch buck with good mass but short cutters. That was the biggest buck i saw in those two weekends.  I've hunted bucks up there 3 times and out of those times i havent seen (let alone killed) any monsters. I hunt up there because i have access to private land and we hunt with friends and family there.

numbnutz's picture
good looking goats, do get to

good looking goats, do get to upset about the misses, it happens to everybody, from your other post atleast you were able to get back out there and redeem yourself, again conrats to everyone involved in your hunt.

hawkeye270's picture
Congratulations on your guys'

Congratulations on your guys' success. That is not a bad trip in anybodies book. The first buck has some great cutters! I am glad to hear you guys had some success. I did not draw my buck tag this year and was thus pretty bummed but hey, what can you do?

As far as missing... you are right, it happens to everyone at some time or another and you really do not have to make an excuse, to us or anybody. The important thing is that you had a good time. And seeing that many animals, and making that many perfect stalks to within 200 yards sounds like a ton of fun. Just think of it this way... you got a lot of practice stalking antelope for the next time that you draw a tag.

CVC
CVC's picture
Good deal on the bucks.  The

Good deal on the bucks.  The one is really nice.  Sorry you weren't able to fill your tag.

hellomcfly's picture
Very true. thanks for the

Very true. thanks for the comments guys. i did manage to get my buck the next weekend. i posted it in a different thread on here. check it out if ya want to

CVC
CVC's picture
Well then, congratulations to

Well then, congratulations to you for getting your buck!

Congrats to all of you on

Congrats to all of you on your bucks. Thumbs up

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Best Place to hunt goatsjman474110/07/2009 20:51 pm
Washington Goats...Anyone seen one?Mtn Hunter008/18/2007 20:54 pm
3 weeks and counting.....GooseHunter Jr608/09/2011 09:42 am
Goat LoversSerious Hunter209/16/2010 16:14 pm
Goats with a bowmrklean805/21/2009 03:22 am