16 replies [Last post]
hellomcfly's picture
2010 CO archery elk

Looking for a new OTC unit to hunt archery elk. Any good ideas? just wanna see some elk

Re: 2010 CO archery elk

I have only hunted in CO or anywhere for elk once. So dont listen to much that I have to say. I was looking online and seen that archery success for GMU 40 was close to 60% last year. If i understood what i was reading (that is a big if) that sounds really good to me!

Again, i am new to anything out west so do your own research. Good luck!

elkkill06's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!

hellomcfly,

How far are you willing to to travel? Most of the units on the west and southwest side of the state hold decent elk and are easier to find archery season. Let me know and I can help you out.

inthehollar welcome to BGH. Thumbs up Its a good place to learn.

exbiologist's picture

Good luck getting a tag in unit 40. It doesn't take as many points as some of the trophy units, but it certainly isn't OTC.
I'll critique any unit you bring up, but I won't suggest a unit without parameters (and OTC is a little too broad)

elkkill06 wrote:
hellomcfly,

How far are you willing to to travel? Most of the units on the west and southwest side of the state hold decent elk and are easier to find archery season. Let me know and I can help you out.

inthehollar welcome to BGH. Thumbs up Its a good place to learn.

Thanks elkkill, I just ran across this site yesterday. I have learned lots already. I have a life long buddy that lives out west and I am planning a bow hunt with him this fall. He knows a lot more about this than i do but i am not counting on his knowledge alone. This site here has been a great tool so far!

hellomcfly's picture

Thanks for the replies fellas. Me and my dad are just kinda stumped about where to even go. Only reason im going OTC is because i'm saving my points for a trophy rifle hunt. In the meantime me and my dad wanna see some elk. We've hunted 44/444 for a lot years and we haven't been seeing anything during the bow season and we're also trying to break away from the usual group of guys we hunt with up there. I've heard good and bad things about the flattops.couple people i know shoot elk in the flattops but im kinda scared to go there because other people say its crowded as heck and plus there's a lot of units in there. how would i even decide which unit to hunt? i'd like to stay 2-3 hours from Denver if possible because we dont have a lot of time to hunt let alone travel. So i'd rather hunt more west than southwest...if that makes sense. i'm just not sure where to go fellas. any ideas are appreciated

exbiologist's picture

I think you were hunting the best place for what you're willing to do. Maybe consider a different part of 44 and 444. The best places to go are nowhere near the Front Range.

ecubackpacker's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!

hellomcfly- What parts of those units were you hunting? Were you hunting the wilderness? I've been looking in that general area along with 43, 45, 47, 471 & 48. This is one of the areas I've been looking over during the off-season. I was planning on doing the same thing you are-accumulate pts for a tropy unit. I 'll probably bow hunt but I may hunt 1st season if I find a unit I may possibly draw. I understand that's a tall order.

I guess I should say I'm not committed to this general area. Just where I started my search. Any thoughts?

hellomcfly's picture

We hunt on red table mtn. It's not far from the holy wilderness but it's not IN the wilderness. I've never been in the wilderness area but i know some guys who have been in there a time or two. They didn't see any elk but it doesn't mean they aren't in there. so if the best spots aren't near the front range...in your opinion where are the best spots to go? You think a different part of 44 or 444? i just think we need a unit with a denser elk population. The elk population where we normally hunt is just small pockets of elk here and there. two or three at a time. And it seems the later you hunt the better. I've never even seen an elk up there during bow season. some of our buddies saw a spike but that's it. The elk are typically only there later in the year. i want to find an area thats a summer range.

exbiologist's picture

Don't know what to tell you. You're in a good spot, I know people who get into elk up there during bow and muzzleloader season and not just twos and threes. If you want to not go any further than that for weekend hunts, you need to consider putting in for limited draws.

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator

What part of Red Table and unit 44 do you hunt? I bow hunt Red Table and run into elk every year, I don't want to arrow one where I usually am but I do see them. There are good areas on Red Table to the south of the FAA site south of Gypsum along with elk in unit 44 on Crooked Creek Pass and the road up to the wilderness boundary and back on down to Yeoman Park. Also there are quite a few up towards Fulford. Also in 44 if you hunt the area around Sylvan Lake you should get into them.
So how are you hunting them? Still hunting or in a stand? A lot of the elk in 444 hang out down near a lot of the private property but if you take the road off of the top of Red Table down into Dead Man gulch in 44 you should run into elk. They are there you just need to scout them.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like