11 replies [Last post]
groundhog's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
2010 buck 160+ and a 7X6

Here are a couple good old Saskatchewan buck that my bro and I took the first weekend of rifle season, less than a hour a part!

We didn't have a chance to score the 7X6 but rough scored the 5X5 at over 160in

PreviewAttachmentSize
2010 resized.jpg
2010 resized.jpg109.93 KB
2010 deer1.JPG
2010 deer1.JPG2.96 MB
2010 deer2.JPG
2010 deer2.JPG2.93 MB
P1010833.JPG
P1010833.JPG2.8 MB
CVC
CVC's picture
Very nice deer.  So what is

Very nice deer.  So what is the story that goes along with the pics.  Congratulations.

gatorfan's picture
WOW!!! Although they are both

What? WOW!!!What?

Although they are both incredible deer, I would LOVE to get a chance at one similar to the 5X5!

Congratulations to BOTH of you!!!

elkkill06's picture
Congrats on a couple of great

Congrats on a couple of great bucks ! Thumbs up

jim boyd's picture
Beasts

Man, those are some serious beasts!

Look at the necks on them - they hardly have one... it is just shoulders and then a head.

Both of these deer are great examples of BIG whitetails!

Jealous in SC!

ecubackpacker's picture
Awesome, groundhog. Congrats

Awesome, groundhog. Congrats on a couple of outstanding bucks! Thumbs up
We'll be waiting for the story.

GooseHunter Jr's picture
Wow those are some great

Wow those are some great bucks...congrats to the both of you.

cscott711's picture
Wow, fantastic deer!

Wow, fantastic deer!  

Question for ya, is there a lot of public land to hunt in Canada?  I am not familiar with hunting rules and regs there, but would love to sometime head up that way and do a DIY hunt.  If there is a lot of public land, is it worth hunting or does it face a lot of pressure during deer season?

groundhog's picture
Hunting Sask.

cscott711 wrote:

Wow, fantastic deer!  

Question for ya, is there a lot of public land to hunt in Canada?  I am not familiar with hunting rules and regs there, but would love to sometime head up that way and do a DIY hunt.  If there is a lot of public land, is it worth hunting or does it face a lot of pressure during deer season?

This is a yes and no question, yes there is a unreal amount of public land to hunt here BUT as been a Non resident you can only hunt the North zone( north half of the province) and you have to be guided. So in turn you have to hire a outfitter and hunt where he has his outfitting license. These are usually very good area’s and the chance of a monster white tale is there every time you set foot out the door.

As far as presser goes, I think there is lots of presser but I have grew up here and don’t know any different, maybe this will put it into perspective for you. Saskatchewan is 227,000 sq mi with just over a million people living here,  California is  163,707 sq mi and I don’t want to know how many people live there…LOL..

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Those are a couple of awesome

Those are a couple of awesome bucks!  My father and I always talked about going to Alberta or Saskatchewan to hunt big whitetails.  I said when I got a good job, we'd go.  I have just been more afraid of all the hassle with the gun laws to plan a trip, instead opting for a trip to Kansas, Nebraska, or somewhere else in the grainbelt.

Congrats!

groundhog's picture
2 Bucks

Hey things have been busy and haven’t been online much. Well the storey on those 2 buck isn’t any thing earth shaking we rifle hunt close to where we grew up and there is big deer every year coming out of there. We where walking a couple secondary valley tops that come out on crop land and stumbled on to the 5x5 who had a doe with him and in full rut and gave me the slip at about 350y and I knew if he hit the valley that would be it so I made a mad dash to the top of a hill about 150y and had to make a standing shot, no rest and puffing like you have no idea. Well the first one was right over his back and the second one was right in the pumper, done deal!

The 7x6 came shortly after heading back to the truck, he was running off bucks that where trying for is hot doe so we took the long way a round got to the top of  a hill and waited him out for the perfect shot my brother made. The funny part is as soon as he dropped the other buck he was running off was on top of that do in about 10 seconds we laughed are @sses off!

The deer hunting up here has been unreal this year, there has been some serious bone come out of Saskatchewan this year!

Related Forum Threads You Might Like