7 replies [Last post]
Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
2009/2010 Bow?

Well, even though I have yet to fire my current bow at an animal in, oh, 5-6 years (Sad, I know), I think I need to upgrade so I don't get too far behind the curve.  Anyway, I am looking at a top of the line kind, but it would have to be a year or two old.  I saw a 2009 Mathews Reezen for sale the other day for $500, just the bare bow. I might also have an offer at a Bowtech Destroyer 340, from a buddy who kills tons of stuff, and upgrades every year.

Any opinions on good, very lightly used bows?  I know, I should shoot a bunch, see what feels comfortable, but where to start?  The Mathews Z7 intrigued me, but it's still a little pricey, even used.  So, Hoyt, PSE, Bowtech, Mathews.  What do you guys think?

elkkill06's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Tough choices !

Sean,

I have been a Darton fan since the 80's, but they have become so expenceive I have been shooting Bowtech for the last 2 years. I love my Bowtech S.W.A.T. it shoots very well and is very forgiving. The hardest thing now is the fact that preyty much all bows shoot well and it is all up to you.

As you said you just have to get them in your hands and shoot them. Good luck with your decision.

Quinton 

Critter's picture
I never have seen the need

I never have seen the need like some shooters to upgrade their bows every couple of years.  I have been shooting the same Browning now for 18 years and it still does the job when I do mine.  I actually would still be using the same compound bow that I bought 30 years ago except that I broke the arrow rest and can't find a replacement one that will fit it. (it was a stick on arrow rest) 

One thing that I have thought about was going back to the old recurved that I made from a kit back in the early 70's.  I think that it would put some more enjoyment back into the hunt, at least for me anyway. 

cowboy38231's picture
Whats your budget?

I would suggest anyone looking for a bow that won't break the bank to check out Alpine Archery. I have been shooting Alpines for 15 years or more and won't buy another brand. They are a smaller company that makes high quality bows at a price the average hunter can afford. I just picked up a new bow this year for half what the comparable Mathews would have cost me. Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking any other brand. But when I can get a bow that retails for about $600 plus arrows, broadheads, sight, rest, quiver, release, a hard case and plus it was set up to my specs for the same price as the suggested bare bow price, I jumped all over it. Plus it has a lifetime warranty. Check out this archery pro shop thats in KY, they have some great monthly deals. It is huntersfriend.com.

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Thanks guys.  Critter, I

Thanks guys.  Critter, I don't necessarily need to upgrade, I would just like to upgrade.  If I do move into a Mathews, or nice Bowtech, then that will be my 10-year bow, most likely.  And because I will plan on using it that long, I want to make sure it's a good one. 

numbnutz's picture
Hows the bow shopping going?

Hows the bow shopping going? I will be looking for a new bow next year. My wife said I had to kill something with my current bow before I could upgrade. Well since I killed my doe in Nov I'm holding her to it. I will be looking to get a new Hoyt Rampage XT. My local shop has them for right around $500. I shot one in the spring and really liked it. You might want to look into the Rampage, its a very nice bow and wont break the bank.

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Not shopping right now, just

Not shopping right now, just looking for opinions.  I will probably start seriously looking after the holidays.  I am not sure if I want to sink the $$$ into one, or continue to use mine.  Heck, I don't even know what it feels like to shoot mine at an animal, so maybe I should hold off a year or two... lol

CVC
CVC's picture
I bought my first compound

I bought my first compound bow in the early 90s and truth is that bow would be good enough today, but.....I like new toys so I've bought several bows since then.  Most recently I was shooting a Mathews Switchback.  Fast, quiet, smooth as silk and accurate, but I wanted a black bow and two bows in case I had problems with one during hunting season.  I bought a black Z7 and it is a fantastic bow.  Fast, accurate smooth drawing and looks good too.

You really can't go wrong with any of the bows out there today so it comes down to personal taste and feel.  Hoyts are great bows, but their looks to appeal to me.

The only thing I will throw out to you is to consider a new bow.  Assuming you might pay as much as 300 more, it really isn't that much considering you'll keep it 10 years. It only comes out to 30 dollars per year.

Why a new bow?  Unless you know who you are buying the bow from, you risk buying one that was not treated well.  Was it dry fired?  You don't know unless you know the buyer well and trust them.

Good luck.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Oregon Nonresident Fee ScrewingHOGGETTER703/03/2010 16:37 pm
Are there any hunters in this region???HOGGETTER412/25/2009 20:28 pm
2009 MINNESOTA BLACK BEAR HUNTSddtoa001/27/2009 11:29 am
How about a winter get-away?Mirage201/08/2009 17:12 pm
Got my Kansas EasternRacks&Quacks005/11/2009 12:09 pm