5 replies [Last post]
exbiologist's picture
2009 Colorado Harvest Stats are out

Just as a quick state overview, harvest was up for elk but hunter numbers were way down. 223,000 elk hunters in 2008, 208,000 in 2009. But success was up from 20% to 23% for all seasons. Deer success was up slightly also from 41 to 43%, but hunters and harvest was down slightly. 86,000 hunters in 2008, 78,000 in 2009.

Re: 2009 Colorado Harvest Stats are out

How accurate are these figures posted by CDOW? I've heard from others, succesful and unsuccessful, that they were never contacted to provide feedback. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate having this information available to make decisions about where to hunt in coming years, but how complete and accurate is the information? Is this all compiled by the post-season phone surveys conducted by CDOW?

exbiologist's picture

It's not all from phone calls anymore, it's mostly by internet survey. I believe the limited units to be the most accurate. They know how many folks need to be surveyed to get a statistically significant sample (like with voter polling that is usually pretty close to being accurate). However, I suspect the OTC hunts to not always be very accurate, especially in the smaller or less popular units. It's my guess that about 25% of the hunters are surveyed from OTC units, which can miss significant harvest in some places. The limited hunts probably vary widely from 20 to 50% of hunters being sampled.

Thanks, Exbioligist. I guess along with the OTC units, I am curious about how they come up with numbers for tags that allow hunting in multiple GMUs. I typically hunt one of these, but tend to stay in one of the units the whole hunt. But i know a lot of people will hunt one unit a few days, and jump ship to others, and still others if alloowed and the areas they are hunting are not producing. Guess in the end, as long as the unit in which harvest occurs is recorded, that should be pretty accurate. How they calculate the Rec Days in these units is beyond me, but these don't mean much to me anyway (are they of any use to you?).

So, in the units where they only survey a percentage of the hunters, is the number of harvested animals an extrapolated number, based upon the number of succesful hunters in the sample group and the total number of hunters in that unit?

By the way, thanks for all of the "data crunching" you do to help all of us make sense of the numbers. This and the other informational postings and emails you send out are excellent!

exbiologist's picture

I don't know how they handle guys who hunt more than one unit with the same tag. There are probably some assumptions in their model that handles it, because they do ask if you hunt more than one unit. It's probably averaged out somehow. And yes, what they report is an extrapolated number.

HeavyC's picture

FYI...They do specifically ask you which unit(s) you hunted and how many days in each. This is seperately from where your kill might have been.

Funny, I had done surveys for 4 strait years till this past season. eye roll

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
2010 Colorado Harvest stats are outexbiologist403/16/2011 11:30 am
Colorado harvest statsexbiologist1203/13/2012 08:20 am
Colorado Elk Numbersbuckykm1912/21/2011 12:12 pm
Only 6 months to go!exbiologist403/10/2010 06:46 am
CO Point InflationCOMeatHunter503/05/2014 21:13 pm